Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod freezing my mini

iPod freezing my mini
ObiWan Flanders
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2005, 12:36 AM

Heyo,

I did a search and didn't really yield any results that helped me out, though that doesn't mean they're not out there... Anyway, each time I plug in my 3G iPod in my stock config mini, iTunes starts up, beach ball, I try to force quite iTunes which does nothing, and if I try to open anything else the computer becomes completely unresponsive. This started a few days ago, but had been working fine for a couple months. I'm really not sure what I could have done to cause this.

I repaired permissions and reinstalled iTunes but that hasn't done anything. I know running the iPod updater would make a lot of sense, but frankly I don't know how to do this as every time I plug it in my computer freezes.

So if anyone could help me out here, it would be appreciated quite greatly.

jfobart
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2005, 12:29 PM

Just for kicks, try turning off the "open iTunes when iPod is connected" in the iTunes iPod options. Then connect your iPod and see how the system responds... if everything is ok, then try opening iTunes manually and see how it responds.

If it were me I'd make a backup of your iTunes collection to DVD or a hard drive before I went too much further though. Better safe than sorry.

ObiWan Flanders  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2005, 03:01 PM

Yeah, turning off that option was one of my first thoughts as well, however, it doesn't appear unless an iPod is connected, so I'm not really able to uncheck it

I'm going to have a friend bring over his iPod and a different cable, and I was going to test my iPod on his computer to see if that would help narrow down the problem.

And the backup has been made, re-ripping all that would be a major in the ass.

Thanks

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2005, 08:48 PM

That setting is saved to the iPod, isn't it?
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

ObiWan Flanders  (op)
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 12:50 AM

The iPod worked fine on my friend's computer and I was able restore it with the iPod updater and now it works fine on my computer

Go figure.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2005, 08:13 AM

Well, be glad it's workin' again! Those little guys are quirky though, aren't they?
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 04:43 PM

A few others have reported the same thing in different threads. It happened to me after updating to 10.3.9 and continued under Tiger.

I had noticed that transfers from iTunes were becoming increasingly slow. Whatever the reason that caused iTunes to freeze up, it was impossible to close the application even using "force quit". I would eventually have to do a hard shut down of my G5 iMac and reboot to access the finder again.

I finally discovered that when iTunes freezes and only displays the spinning beach ball, I could unplug the iPod from its firewire cable (of course not recommended), and it would allow iTunes to display a warning that it was unable to complete the current request (accompanied by the usual system warning about how to un-mount a drive).

This allowed me to plug in the iPod again and run the disk utility on its hard drive. A couple of errors were corrected, and so far, I am able to transfer songs again from iTunes - again at the original transfer speed.

Hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules