Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Web Hosts Recommendations ??

Web Hosts Recommendations ??
vja4him
Jul 16, 2005, 11:44 AM

I'm looking for an inexpensive (or free?) web host with lots of space for uploading images. Any recommendations? Thanks.

-- vjamacaddict, G4 iBook, OS X 10.3.9, Bluetooth, Superdrive

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 09:49 AM

http://www.onlinestorage.biz/

It's the best of the free ones but is limited to 10MB.

jay3ld
Senior User
Jul 17, 2005, 12:30 PM

http://titaniumhosting.com/
http://www.danethicalservices.com/
http://stylehosting.com

all free with good hosting package deals that you would find paying for.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 01:56 PM

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 02:30 PM

I second the recommendation for dreamhost, it really is the best hosting option I've seen.

vja4him  (op)
Jul 17, 2005, 05:39 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have signed up with DreamHost for two years, with the 777 discount. Now, to decide which application I will use for creating web pages -- Freeway Pro, Nvu, or RapidWeaver.

Originally Posted by godzookie2k
*MacPro 2.93GHz-Snow Leopard 10.6.4-8GB RAM*

jay3ld
Senior User
Jul 17, 2005, 05:43 PM

i would go with dreamweaver from macromedia if you can afford it. I prefer it over all other programs for web building right now.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 06:04 PM

psst use 'concaf' for your referral.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by jay3ld
i would go with dreamweaver from macromedia if you can afford it. I prefer it over all other programs for web building right now.
host, not editor. ...right?

WestHost

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

jay3ld
Senior User
Jul 18, 2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
host, not editor. ...right?

WestHost
he asked on what application he should use to create his webpage. i told him 1

erniesthings
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2005, 05:01 PM

I just signed up with dreamhost with the 777 code. Can you use it for more that one year with the same site.

vja4him
" Thanks for all the suggestions. I have signed up with DreamHost for two years, with the 777 discount. Now, to decide which application I will use for creating web pages -- Freeway Pro, Nvu, or RapidWeaver."

I used the wordpress one click install at dreamhost. Let me tell you it friggin rocks. Super easy. Lots of themes available at http://www.alexking.org.

My site is http://www.erniesthings.com. Let me know what you think.

vja4him  (op)
Aug 3, 2005, 05:42 PM

I signed up with DreamHost for two years. When I received my e-mail confirmation, the message said thanks for signing up for one year? I e-mailed support, and they replied that you can only sign up for one year at a time, but the second year will be for free. So, I guess technically, the 777 code is only good for the first year.

The two-year contract comes out to be about $4.00 per year (cheapest account available).

Originally Posted by erniesthings
I just signed up with dreamhost with the 777 code. Can you use it for more that one year with the same site.

vja4him
" Thanks for all the suggestions. I have signed up with DreamHost for two years, with the 777 discount. Now, to decide which application I will use for creating web pages -- Freeway Pro, Nvu, or RapidWeaver."

I used the wordpress one click install at dreamhost. Let me tell you it friggin rocks. Super easy. Lots of themes available at http://www.alexking.org.

My site is http://www.erniesthings.com. Let me know what you think.
*MacPro 2.93GHz-Snow Leopard 10.6.4-8GB RAM*

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2005, 09:13 AM

psst use 'concaf' for your referral.
spammer

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 01:24 PM

I'm using GoDaddy for a site and so far I'm pretty happy with them. They have a $4/month deal that would be good for small sites... about 500MB of storage and 25GB of traffic I think.

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2005, 01:25 PM

I just signed up with bluehost. 4G of storage and 100 Gigs of transfer per month for $7.95 a month! Very affordable, and tons of perks, including a user-friendly GUI control panel to administer the site.

So far, their tech support has been easy to access and responsive. It's only been a few days, but I am pleased so far!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 10:36 PM

www.fourbucks.net

Seems very comparable to BlueHost actually now that I look at it. I notice a lot of these hosts are using cPanel for management.

And, if I didn't know better, I'd swear the two were the same. I've had the same tech support experience.

I still prefer FourBucks. I've been with them for a year now.

davecom
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 03:18 PM

serverway.net if you're cheap!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 12:28 PM

If dependability is your main concern, I recommend Hostway.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Mooga2
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2005, 10:52 PM

Hostway is hard to beat -- superb service and uptime.

If you're looking for aan excellent and more personal company, my friend owns a hosting outfit in Maryland that provides excellent uptime and great one-on-one service.

http://www.fullcityinc.com/

Best of luck,
- Moo!
"He only has one look... it's like I've been taking crazy pills!"

jasonlustig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday
I second the recommendation for dreamhost, it really is the best hosting option I've seen.
Dreamhost really is that good. I use them and they have been a pleasure! The 777 promotion is over now, which is too bad (that's what I used and it was the best deal EVER), but if you use the promo code lustig you'll get $77 off if you sign up for one year, or $50 off if you sign up for the monthly plan.

Jason

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by itistoday
Originally Posted by vja4him
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have signed up with DreamHost for two years....
Originally Posted by erniesthings
I just signed up with dreamhost....
Originally Posted by vja4him
I signed up with DreamHost for two years.....
Originally Posted by jasonlustig
Dreamhost really is that good. I use them and they have been a pleasure!.....
isn't it an amazing coincidence that all of you neglected to mention the fact that dreamhost pays you to recommend them as a web host?

nice unbiased advice there, folks!

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2005, 08:31 AM

I continue to recommend Bluehost.com- and I if can get paid to say this, I gotta start collecting! Their support has been lightning quick, and they are very affordable with robust features.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2005, 08:46 AM

If you just want images up - and aren't going to be chucking bandwidth about like a madman - how about flickr?

http://www.flickr.com

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by m a d r a
isn't it an amazing coincidence that all of you neglected to mention the fact that dreamhost pays you to recommend them as a web host?

you only get paid if the new signup uses your referral name... only one person above has done that. So it is unbiased.

On that note, I just signed up for dreamhost lest week and I love it. Very easy to set up. I had it up and running 24 hours after I signed up. My bank hadn't even been charged yet

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by m a d r a

Well, just because they may be biased doesn't mean they're wrong.

mbrando
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 01:01 AM

Hi,

I use JIKOmetrix.net. If you pay for a year you get one month free. Most our accounts let you host more than one domain in the same account. Here is some info:

Plans:
Personal 150MB Space : 1.5Gig BW : $10 month $110 year
Standard 250MB Space : 4.75Gig BW : $20 month : $220 year
Business 500MB Space : 7.6Gig BW : $30 month : $330 year
Corporate 1000MB Space : 10Gig BW : $60 month : $660 year
Pay for one year and get one month of hosting free.

You can get more details at http://www.JIKOmetrix.net

If you interested reselling hosting to your clients or friends contact me directly at [email protected]. I can get you 5gig of space and 50gig of bandwidth for you to divide up any way you like.

Mike
Mike Brandonisio * Web Hosting
Tech One Illustration * e-Commerce
http://www.jikometrix.net

JIKOmetrix - Reliable web hosting

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 01:31 AM

No offense, but compared to what I get, that's a huge ripoff. 150MB for $10 with 1.5GB bandwidth? Hell, before I upgraded mine, I was getting 400MB for $4 with 15GB bandwidth. Now I'm getting 4GB with 75GB bandwidth for $8. Still less.

So unless the servers are jewel encrusted and every person who signs up gets a car, I just don't see the deal here.

Wow.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 07:31 AM

http://www.asmallorange.com/
Cheap. Fast. Reliable.

And amazingly friendly and fast support!

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoco
No offense, but compared to what I get, that's a huge ripoff. 150MB for $10 with 1.5GB bandwidth? Hell, before I upgraded mine, I was getting 400MB for $4 with 15GB bandwidth. Now I'm getting 4GB with 75GB bandwidth for $8. Still less.

So unless the servers are jewel encrusted and every person who signs up gets a car, I just don't see the deal here.

Wow.
While there are probably cheaper alternatives to dreamhost, for me the ability to remotely access my MySQL databases (an unusual but very useful service) is worth the extra dough.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by jay3ld
Forget it. Learn to hand-code from the start and you'll be much happier. Validate often. Use XHTML+CSS. Keep your content separate from presentation to the greatest extent possible. WYSIWYG HTML editors like Dreamweaver and NetObjects all pretty much suck and produce really bad code.

You didn't ask for my opinion, I know. But nevertheless, that's my 2¢.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch
While there are probably cheaper alternatives to dreamhost, for me the ability to remotely access my MySQL databases (an unusual but very useful service) is worth the extra dough.
Yeah? Well, I can do it too. It's not that unusual. You're paying too much for that muffler.

Every host worth a dime these days offers cPanel.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 07:06 PM

Yeah? Well, I can do it too. It's not that unusual. You're paying too much for that muffler.

Every host worth a dime these days offers cPanel.
What I really want to be able to do is use a MySQL client like SQLGrinder, CocoaMySQL or YourSQL with my hosted databases. Can you do that with something cheaper? I hate it when I have "localhost access only". It would also be nice to have fuller than usual permissions.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 01:11 PM

What's "Localhost access only"?

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 01:14 PM

What's "Localhost access only"?
When I log into phpMyAdmin, I do so as "myusername@localhost" and, as I understand it, this means that I don't have a remote connection. In a related issue, I also don't have permissions sufficient to grant myself certain privileges, etc.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 01:15 PM

Me too. But clarify, what's a Remote Connection?

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 01:21 PM

Me too. But clarify, what's a Remote Connection?
I'm on somewhat shaky ground knowledge-wise, but here's how I think it works:

1. If I have to log in to "their" machine under a user account located on "their" machine, that's a "local" connection (relative to that machine);

2. On the other hand, if I log in using my machine (using a MySQL client like SQLGrinder or CocoaMySQL or YourSQL) that is linked to the data on their machine but is actually operating on mine, that is termed a "remote" connection (relative to their machine).

If past experience is any guide, somebody more astute than me on this will come along now, flame the bejeezus out of me, and make me feel like a complete idiot.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 01:27 PM

Well, ya lost me. So forget I asked.

Either way, I'm contempt with just phpMyAdmin.

BTW, in my cPanel, it has an option on the "MySql databases" page named "Access Hosts" which allows entry of other hosts to a list that so far only contains one entry, "localhost" of course. Is this what you would be looking for?

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 11:05 AM

Well, ya lost me. So forget I asked.
Awww, shucks. Sorry.
Either way, I'm contempt with just phpMyAdmin.
I think you mean "content".
BTW, in my cPanel, it has an option on the "MySql databases" page named "Access Hosts" which allows entry of other hosts to a list that so far only contains one entry, "localhost" of course. Is this what you would be looking for?
Perhaps. I'm not really familiar with CPanel, although I know generally what it does. Anybody else know?

mbrando
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2005, 11:00 PM

Hi,

cPanel is a browser based control panel for you to manage your hosting account. You can do stuff like check stats, setup email accounts, backup your site, add scripts to your site... etc. Here you can see a demo:

http://www.jikometrix.net/webhosting.htm

Follow the cPanel demo link near the top.

Jasoco
Well our hosting does not offer 10gig of drive space for a dollar, we do have excellent support and do help our clients with script installs among other support features. We offer our service to the technically challenged for a fare price. Not everyone has time to learn all of this stuff and some like the piece of mind knowing that they can pick up the phone and talk to a real person who will help them and not defer their question as an unsupported request.

We are filling a niche market not providing service to the world. Relax no need to start poking with a stick.

Mike

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 03:16 AM

I'm sorry, but it still seems high. FourBucks does all the same stuff. You're trying to make it sound as if my host ignores its users. I've never been ignored. The two times I had a question about something, I was answered within minutes. What do you mean "unsupported request"? That just sounds to me like a cheap shot.

Don't cry over it. I'm just comparing the two.

One question, why is your cPanel not organized into categories? They're not even alphabetical. If I were a user, I'd have a heck of a time trying to find the option I need.

mbrando
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2005, 08:56 AM

Hi,

It is not a fare comparison to look at price alone and I did not mean to imply that your support ingores you. I has been my experience with other hosts that when a question comes in regarding help with a script or some other 3rd party item or implementation, it gets responded to as "That is a 3rd party product. we do not support that." or "Try googling on the topic. There are many resoource on the net to help you." Specifically, help with the base installation of open-reality, questions about MX record backup, and some direction on eCommerce carts. Like I said before many of my clients are not techy at all and we go the extra mile for them. We are small enough to blur those edges of tech support and web developer. Here is one more example: Client signs up for our smallest plan, Personnal. They want email, spam blocking and a MySQL DB. Normally this all self serve. However, we took the time at no extr charge to get them setup with email, email aliases, setuping spam assasin to to rewrite subject headers, create a DB user and DB. When we were done we kept an eye on them. This client was learning PHP and did not realize they had to create a file called index.php to act as the index page for theit site. It is not all free either. Some things do go beyond even what we are willing to do for the client and the client is given a proposal for the work requested. Like I said, we are small enough to blur those line of support and web developer.

I have cPanel on a few different servers and all display the icons in the same order. I think cPanel does it in order of most used. Example, email account setup is the most common item to setup so it is first. Are you icons in another order?

Mike

rockergirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2005, 04:54 PM

I've been with page-zone.com for nearly 3 years. Their services are outstanding. Their technical support are there for you 24/7!!! Everything there is straightforward, easy to use, great tutorials, and outstanding tools!!!! There plans are GREAT and the prices are CHEAP!!! It's all worth the time and money being with Page Zone Web Hosting!!!! They have a GREAT forum where you can get awesome tips, I'm glad I went with Page Zone Web Hosting!!!

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch
http://phpwebhosting.com/ will give you remote MySQL access as well, with nearly unlimited storage, bandwidth, etc. They're a very cool host and have very good support...
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by rockergirl
I've been with page-zone.com for nearly 3 years. Their services are outstanding. Their technical support are there for you 24/7!!! Everything there is straightforward, easy to use, great tutorials, and outstanding tools!!!! There plans are GREAT and the prices are CHEAP!!! It's all worth the time and money being with Page Zone Web Hosting!!!! They have a GREAT forum where you can get awesome tips, I'm glad I went with Page Zone Web Hosting!!!
uhmmm... First post

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 01:23 PM

I was with powweb. Wasn't too happy with them. I just switched to hostpc.com.

Its only been a couple days so I can't comment on quality yet but so far things are good. Site performance and mysql performance seem to be alot better than powweb. FTP stability is much improved. They use direct admin for their console and I really like it.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by rockergirl
could you try and sound a bit more breathless and use a few more exclamation marks. i wasnae quite sure if you were trying to recommend someone [that you doubtless work for] there or not

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by genevish
http://phpwebhosting.com/ will give you remote MySQL access as well, with nearly unlimited storage, bandwidth, etc. They're a very cool host and have very good support...
Thanks for that tip — phpwebhosting does indeed sound good to me. I think the thing that has me leaning toward dreamhost is that their systems run Mac OS X Server, with which I would like to gain greater familiarity.

ctlq
Oct 21, 2005, 09:30 AM

selowitch let me lean you the other way by saying that dreamhost definitely does not run OS X Server.
From dinero.dreamhost.com:
Linux version 2.4.29-grsec+w+fhs6b+gr0501+nfs+a32+++p4+sata+c4+gr2b-v6.189 (root@womb) (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)) #1 SMP Mon Feb 7 13:23:30 PST 2005

I have accounts with both dreamhost and phpwebhosting and for a variety of reasons dreamhost is not getting renewed after my year is up.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ctlg
dreamhost definitely does not run OS X Server
Oops, sorry. I was thinking of Server Logistics. My bad!

BTW, for plain-ol' Linux hosting, I have had good experiences with both iPowerWeb and Ace-Net.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 10:21 PM

When does a host NOT permit "remote access" to MySQL dbs? Anybody offering phpMyAdmin is doing that, right? And doesn't everybody?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules