Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > feature or bug - application windows get mixed in other applications

feature or bug - application windows get mixed in other applications
mbrando
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 12:55 AM

Hi,

Is this a feature or a bug. I noticed that when I have multiple applicaitons open with a few windows each, the windows from one application get mixed into the layering of the windows of an another application. Example, I have Dreamweaver and Safari open. In Dreamweaver I have 2 windows 1 HTML file and the site managner. In Safari I have 1 browser window. If I am working in Dreamweaver with the windows layered as HTML file in front, site managner behind HTML file window and Safari behind site managner and click on Safari to view something then click on HTML file window, the safari window is now between HTML file window and site manager window. It used to be that an application with layered windows stayed grouped with that application only like Dreamweaver windows with dreamweaver and safari with safari. When click out of an applicaiton shouldn't the applicaiton go into the back ground? I'm using OS 10.42

Mike
Mike Brandonisio * Web Hosting
Tech One Illustration * e-Commerce
http://www.jikometrix.net

JIKOmetrix - Reliable web hosting

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 01:45 AM

OS X has always behaved this way. It's a feature.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2005, 01:45 AM

It's an OS X feature that was not present in classic versions of the OS. If you're used to the classic Mac OS' style, it will take a little while to adjust, but you'll likely end up preferring it eventually. If you want to ensure that all of a particular application's windows will come to the foreground at one time, you can click its dock icon or command tab to it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2005, 01:53 AM

I have a keyboard shortcut set up for Bring All to Front. That way, if I ever need an application all up front, I just have to hit command-control-A.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 02:32 AM

I look at this as a user interface abstraction for the preemptive multitasking in the OS. It symbolizes that no application is ever *really* in control of the hardware, no matter how hard it tries. This was not true of OS 9 and before.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Detrius
I look at this as a user interface abstraction for the preemptive multitasking in the OS. It symbolizes that no application is ever *really* in control of the hardware, no matter how hard it tries.
Wow, that's... pretty deep man... :>

From what I can tell the behaviour is due to a fundamental design principle is OS X: the move towards a document centered paradigm. Documents are, after all, what eventually comes out of a computer.

mbrando: do you like this behaviour?
A penny for your thoughts...

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 10:37 PM

mbrando, be sure to note Big Mac's comment. Clicking on a window brings it (and only it) to the front. Clicking on an application's dock icon brings all of that app's windows to the front.

This is a great feature. It certainly eases cut-and-paste, drag-and-drop operations when you have lots of windows open in multiple apps.

Chris

mbrando  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2005, 09:09 AM

Hi,

I did not realize that the dock icon would bring an applications group of windows to the forground. At first I found this annoying, the mixed layering. However, now that I know that it is optional I can work with it. I see the point of it being useful for drag-n-drop ops and cut-paste.

Thank you for all of the responses,
Mike
Mike Brandonisio * Web Hosting
Tech One Illustration * e-Commerce
http://www.jikometrix.net

JIKOmetrix - Reliable web hosting

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 6, 2005, 09:37 AM

Another tip:

Opt-cmd-clicking on app icon in the Dock brings windows that belong to that app to the front and hides all other windows

Forum Links
Forum Rules