Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why are you here?

Why are you here?
FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2005, 02:17 AM

This a philosophical question. I have no answer to this question, may be because I am an existentialist and generally hold no strong views on any topic generally. What about you? What is your answer?
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2005, 02:28 AM

Before anyone else makes the joke, I'll say because I'm bored and have nothing better to do on a Sunday night than posting in the lounge.[/lame]

Personally I don't think there is any point to existence. Why does there even have to be? Our planet sits in a sweet spot in our solar system that can support carbon based life. The laws of the universe just happen to allow life to evolve. If they didn't, we wouldn't even be here to have this discussion, which to me suggests that there is indeed no point.

We are lucky to even exist, and I am happy with that. If I need meaning for my existence, then I will make my own meaning.

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Sep 19, 2005, 02:37 AM

To meet women.

I can give you an answer based on my beliefs, but the reason above is one of many reasons.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 02:40 AM

I like to paint and draw.

But they don't let me have sharp pencils anymore.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2005, 02:51 AM

because I am addicted to message boards, I am currently a member of 4 message boards, 3 of which I have to check anytime I get access to the internet... sad but true.

Zach

ObiWan Flanders
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2005, 02:57 AM

Because I have nowhere else to go.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2005, 03:09 AM

Because I have nothing else to do.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2005, 03:23 AM

To make babies and try to correct the mistakes that I make trying to make babies with the babies I make.

MM-o4
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 03:31 AM

to kill time at work

plus it is filled with silly and interesting junk

MM

Railroader
Banned
Sep 19, 2005, 04:41 AM

Because of sin.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 04:47 AM

wasting my life away

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

tavilach
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2005, 04:56 AM

Why do I exist? That's just one of those questions. I really do hope there's a reason I'm here; If there isn't, then there will be complete nothingness when my life ends, and I can't bare the thought of that. I also can't bare the thought of my loved ones being gone forever. Neither can most people, and hence the concept of the soul, the afterlife, etc. While I wish I bought those religious explanations, I don't. Nevertheless, there could still be a reason for everything, and there could still be more to existence than life. Again, I really hope there is.

Why was I born? I don't know that one, either. I do, however, know that I will either be adding, or not adding, to the gene pool. I hope I add .

Why am I on MacNN at 1:53 AM on a Monday morning? I went to bad at 4:30 AM last night, watching Schindler's List for the first time. Great movie. Nothing surprising, as I went to a Jewish high school, but a fantastic story that almost brought tears to my eyes.

I think I've answered the intended question, whatever it was .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 07:55 AM

I'm looking for Rickey Henderson...somebody said he lurks around here and I'm waiting to catch up with him one of these days.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 19, 2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939
I'm looking for Rickey Henderson...somebody said he lurks around here and I'm waiting to catch up with him one of these days.
He doesn't, but gorickey used to.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 19, 2005, 08:21 AM

I am here to waste some extra work time I have on my hands.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2005, 08:25 AM

Work is in the other monitor, MacNN is in this one.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by 11011001
Personally I don't think there is any point to existence. Why does there even have to be? Our planet sits in a sweet spot in our solar system that can support carbon based life. The laws of the universe just happen to allow life to evolve. If they didn't, we wouldn't even be here to have this discussion, which to me suggests that there is indeed no point.

We are lucky to even exist, and I am happy with that. If I need meaning for my existence, then I will make my own meaning.
Great post!

Although, I do agree that while there is no "point" to existence--we just are--I use that knowledge to influence my daily actions. If there is no point to my being here should I behave in a way that is beneficial to my fellow humans or detrimental to them. For me, the choice most frequently comes down to beneficial. This is not due to some abnormal altruism on my part but more to the fact that over the years I have learned life is easier for everyone involved if I treat people decently instead of crappily.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2005, 09:28 AM

procrastinating

Forum Links
Forum Rules