Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can't connect to XP box anymore, "Error -41"

Can't connect to XP box anymore, "Error -41"
Macola
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 11:12 AM

My connection to an XP Pro box has been working fine for the past year or so, but today when I try to connect, it gives me an "Error -41" when authenticating and mounting a volume. The connection previously worked fine through either smb://computername or smb://IP address. I'm guessing it has to do with one of the recent XP security updates. I even tried turning off the XP firewall, but that didn't help. Rebooting the XP box didn't help either.

Edit: Connecting from a Mac running 10.4.2
( Last edited by Macola; Oct 14, 2005 at 11:29 AM. Reason: More info)
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2005, 04:21 PM

Have you tried restarting your Mac? I've seen that noted as an "error -41" fix. I've also seen mention that removing the XP box from a domain fixed things-and XP prefers to be in a domain anyway, so it could be that something updated in XP that altered the domain settings.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2005, 08:46 PM

I did try restarting the Mac and the PC is not signed on to a domain. After checking some more, I remembered that I had recently installed AVG Antivirus, since my Norton subscription had expired. I uninstalled it, and sure enough, my Mac connected to the PC just fine. I'll have to check their support docs--I'd hate to leave a PC without antivirus software on it.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2005, 08:47 AM

There's gotta be some setting in AVG that lets you control its firewall-like behavior. Filesharing is not justs a luxury for most people with more than one computer...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
There's gotta be some setting in AVG that lets you control its firewall-like behavior. Filesharing is not justs a luxury for most people with more than one computer...
It's pretty weird, I know...and this isn't even the version of AVG that includes a personal firewall. I tried reinstalling it and disabling the "ResidentShield" functions to the point where it was basically useless, but I still had the problem connecting. I suspect it's a problem with some registry entries. Their support page doesn't mention anything about this problem, although Googling shows a few folks have had similar problems (Error -41) with ZoneAlarm.

Forum Links
Forum Rules