Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Keychain problem

Keychain problem
MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 08:13 PM

Ok, I have been experiencing an issue with keychain .Mac sync and sometimes my airport keep asking for my "system" password. Not my user account password, but my system password. No matter which admin password I use, it's invalid. I have used the OS X installer disk to reset the system root password, but still no go.

I do notice that Keychain access shows my system's keychain. Could this be the problem?

MPMoriarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2005, 11:06 PM

Nobody knows what this might be?

jjlannoo
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2005, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by MPMoriarty
Nobody knows what this might be?
I don't have an answer but I get that pop up as well after updates. No matter what I type in it says its wrong. It go's away after a few attempts. Says it will ask again later or something...I forget.
iMac G5 20" 2.1 GHz Power Mac G4 Cube 450 MHz
my .mac

ed phelan
Dec 7, 2005, 08:11 AM

I just hit the cancel button and go on with my business, works every time.
All the best/E

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by MPMoriarty
Ok, I have been experiencing an issue with keychain .Mac sync and sometimes my airport keep asking for my "system" password. Not my user account password, but my system password. No matter which admin password I use, it's invalid. I have used the OS X installer disk to reset the system root password, but still no go.

I do notice that Keychain access shows my system's keychain. Could this be the problem?
Hi MPMoriarty,
I found the following over at Macfixit - posted by Virtual1 MacMaster. I hope it is of help.

"....You probably force changed your password using the boot CD. At login, the system tries to use your login password to unlock your keychain. If you force changed your login pw, the keychain password remains unchanged and cannot be unlocked with the new password at login, so it remains locked. When an app tries to access the keychain, it then prompts you to unlock it. If you don't remember your previous password, you cannot unlock it and the information in the keychain can never be recovered.

Go into (home)/Library/Keychains/ and delete everything in that folder. (may be up to 3 items in there) Logout. Login.

Run safari and go to google.com, this will try to access forms autofill in the keychain. It will ask if you want to reset it to defaults. Alllow this. It will then ask for a password, use your login password. It may ask a third time if you really want to reset it, allow it.

Now run mail. Get new mail. It will prompt for your email password. Type it in and check the box to remember the password.
That should have you all fixed up ..."

You can check his post out - swing over to MacFixit and do a 'keychain' search in the OS X Tiger forum.
Good luck
voicebox

MPMoriarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2005, 08:08 PM

Thanks. Ok, I will give it a shot and report back later if the problem persists. If I never reply to this thread again, you can assume everything has resolved itself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules