Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 7200 drive in an ibook G4

7200 drive in an ibook G4
hywyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 02:13 PM

Hi!
I need advice on 7200 drives in ibook G4's (1gig, 512Kb cache) particularly the Seagate Momentus 8Mbyte cache 100 gig drive.
I'll be using the set-up for music applications trying to squeeze as much as possible out of it!
I know one would expect performance to increase, but since the CPU and memory subsystems also work harder, I wonder how much heat is generated.
How much Is the 8mb buffer a factor? I read a report from someonoe who had the same model ibook as I with an Hitachi 7200mb (but 2mbyte cache) who had an extra 15% Power consumption, significantly better performance but a much warmer ibook,

An interesting article is here:
http://www.barefeats.com/hard56.html

Any advice very much appreciated!
Steve

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2005, 03:06 PM

Steve, go with the fastest 7200 RPM drive you can find, your iBook will love you for it. I had a Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM in a powerbook, which was a big improvement over the standard 4200 RPM drive. Go with the Seagate 7K100 or Hitachi 7K60!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 01:45 AM

Hitachi 7K100 models are also available. My iBook is in the shop getting one installed right now. The most cost effective ($/GB) one on NewEgg was the 80GB model.

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2005, 04:44 PM

I'm thinking of upgrading my iBook's hard drive also to a 7200rmp one. But the whole process freaks me out as I am a very clumsy person. Are there any reasonably priced third-party services that can do it?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 07:32 PM

Any place that has an Apple Certified Technician should be able to do it, but they will charge you their typical hourly service rate. CompUSA also does it, and for cheap ($30), but when I talked to them on the phone they said it would take 2 weeks because they send it back to Apple.

I gave up and got it done at my university's computer store. It cost me $64.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by MPMoriarty
I'm thinking of upgrading my iBook's hard drive also to a 7200rmp one. But the whole process freaks me out as I am a very clumsy person. Are there any reasonably priced third-party services that can do it?
CompUSA charges about $30, and is an Apple Authorized Service place.

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2005, 11:23 PM

So I can just get a 7,200rpm hard drive, take it to CompUSA, and they will install it for me at $30/hr

gootdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2005, 03:35 AM

I was just wondering if having an Apple Certified person install the harddrive does it still void the warranty?

If it still does, is there anything I can do to get a warranty from someone else or the installer of the harddrive?

Thanks,
G

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2005, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by gootdude
I was just wondering if having an Apple Certified person install the harddrive does it still void the warranty?
No. If it did, why would you pay to have an Apple Certified tech do it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules