Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > spotlight privacy settings

spotlight privacy settings
mbrando
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 11:14 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know how to have spotlight remember privacy settings. I have an external HD that I use for backup. I do not want spotlight wasting resources scanning it. When the drive is mounted, I add it to the privacy list to prevent the drive from being scanned. If the drive is unmounted it disappears from the spotlight privacy list. Now I know I can keep readding it to the list, but it would be nice if it could remember this on its own or is possible to create a folder action to add the drive when mounted to the privacy list or can it be done with a cronjob that checks for the mounted volume and addes it to the spotloght privacy settings?

Sincerely,
Mike
Mike Brandonisio * Web Hosting
Tech One Illustration * e-Commerce
http://www.jikometrix.net

JIKOmetrix - Reliable web hosting

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2006, 11:54 AM

The privacy setting of a drive are saved on that drive. So when you unmount the drive its privacy settings of course disappear, but when you mount it again the privacy setting appear again.

The privacy settings are saved on the respective volume and not in your own preferences so that they can be respected even when you connect the drive to an entirely different computer.

mbrando  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 12:44 PM

Hi,

That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Mike
Mike Brandonisio * Web Hosting
Tech One Illustration * e-Commerce
http://www.jikometrix.net

JIKOmetrix - Reliable web hosting

Forum Links
Forum Rules