Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > My Firsthand Info About Leopard

My Firsthand Info About Leopard
inkhead
Senior User
Aug 11, 2006, 07:23 PM

Okay a couple of things about this leopard preview. This is bar far the MOST UNSTABLE preview release I've every seen Apple release, bar none. And that includes betas of OS X 10.0

The good news is it's really, really, really fast. H.264 video flew, nothing lagged, the finder (you can tell it's in the middle of being redesigned) flew... Much better threaded. networking no longer shows you spinning beach ball..

Spotlight (the application version under Applications) gives you a taste of how the new finder is going to be, when you search for images. You could resize previews on the fly, and spotlight really, really shines, its' super fast.

Bad things. Everything crashes. Dashboard crashed, made a webclipping, crashed dashboard and safari. Went to yahoo.com safari crashed again (it is faster though....)

IChat is currently FUGGLY as all.. it looks like they didn't finish they UI or ripped out the good theme at the last minute before the keynote. REALLY UGLY HORRIBLE UI. Each login creates a NEW buddy lists. So signing on 3 AIM handles created 3 FREAKING buddy lists....

Spaces crashed.. boring...

Time machine, I activated it set a backup drive, but it never showed in my dock.. so i can't try it out...

The installer disk let me turn my format my bootcamp partition for leopard (which 10.4 disk utility won't do)... it also asked if i wanted to restore from a time machine..., or before installing if i wanted to make a "time machine backup" of the current drive....

All in all, this is the worst beta i've ever seen from apple. You can tell they are in the middle of redesigning the finder, or they seriously had to cut stuff out of it because of something soooo top secret...

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Okay a couple of things about this leopard preview. This is bar far the MOST UNSTABLE preview release I've every seen Apple release, bar none. And that includes betas of OS X 10.0

The good news is it's really, really, really fast. H.264 video flew, nothing lagged, the finder (you can tell it's in the middle of being redesigned) flew... Much better threaded. networking no longer shows you spinning beach ball..

Spotlight (the application version under Applications) gives you a taste of how the new finder is going to be, when you search for images. You could resize previews on the fly, and spotlight really, really shines, its' super fast.

Bad things. Everything crashes. Dashboard crashed, made a webclipping, crashed dashboard and safari. Went to yahoo.com safari crashed again (it is faster though....)

IChat is currently FUGGLY as all.. it looks like they didn't finish they UI or ripped out the good theme at the last minute before the keynote. REALLY UGLY HORRIBLE UI. Each login creates a NEW buddy lists. So signing on 3 AIM handles created 3 FREAKING buddy lists....

Spaces crashed.. boring...

Time machine, I activated it set a backup drive, but it never showed in my dock.. so i can't try it out...

The installer disk let me turn my format my bootcamp partition for leopard (which 10.4 disk utility won't do)... it also asked if i wanted to restore from a time machine..., or before installing if i wanted to make a "time machine backup" of the current drive....

All in all, this is the worst beta i've ever seen from apple. You can tell they are in the middle of redesigning the finder, or they seriously had to cut stuff out of it because of something soooo top secret...

Cool.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm guessing that the instability is because they've tried to hide things, as evidenced by the finder still looking exactly the same. I'm excited to see Leopard next spring. By then developers like yourself would have tested, retested, and then tested it again to squash any system bugs. Thanks again. Hey, without breaking your NDA, any more details you can share?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 08:48 PM

the finder (you can tell it's in the middle of being redesigned) flew... Much better threaded. networking no longer shows you spinning beach ball..
Halle-freaking-Luja!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

kyles_mac
Aug 11, 2006, 09:49 PM

Mac, unlike Windows, I would think wouldn't release a version of their OS with huge problems such as the beta.

As long as Timewarp works the way they say, I'm buying it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 11, 2006, 10:10 PM

I'll bet this is like Beta 0.01, and nowhere near a release candidate. Crashing? How un-Mac!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2006, 10:15 PM

That's why we have backups.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by kyles_mac
Mac, unlike Windows, I would think wouldn't release a version of their OS with huge problems such as the beta.

Sigh...

The names of the companies are Apple and Microsoft respectively. Neither computers nor operating systems are capable of releasing software.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2006, 10:41 PM

Without breaking NDA, is Sherlock still there or gone?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Philip J. Fry
Never rely on a prerelease version to determine if something will be there or not. If Apple didn't officially say it would be there, then don't assume that if something is there now it will be there later.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 11, 2006, 11:39 PM

Now we know why Steve had two computers set up for the demo, with a KVM switch handy. Perhaps also why WWDC was postponed two months. Though that worked out conveniently on the CPU front.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by reader50
Now we know why Steve had two computers set up for the demo, with a KVM switch handy.
He has done that before. And incidentally, last time he had to make use of it, it was iPhoto too that was the culprit.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2006, 02:50 AM

AFAWK, he ALWAYS runs backups at keynotes.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 04:31 AM

I hope some screenshots of the Spotlight.app interface surface. I wonder why they made it into it's own app now?

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2006, 04:39 AM

Is there any ability to enter in Spotlight comments from within save dialogs?

I know Microsoft at one time was allowing users to enter in metadata (like keywords) for files directly in their save dialogs. I heard they removed the feature and don't know whether or not they added it back since then.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2006, 09:15 AM

Has the debug code......................errr, never-mind.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Has the debug code......................errr, never-mind.
Sounds like, from the apparent bugginess and instability that the debug code has most definitely been removed, at last.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
I hope some screenshots of the Spotlight.app interface surface. I wonder why they made it into it's own app now?
It gives you more control over the process. I always end up searching again from the finder.

Hmmmm...

or maybe because the adavanced features are built into the mythical new finder. They wanted to save the finder for later so in order to preview Spotlight's features they had to break it out into a container app. So it may be a temporary app for the beta.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MPMoriarty
Is there any ability to enter in Spotlight comments from within save dialogs?
Please, yes. I've tired of sending this request to Apple

Hopefully they've found some way to give more presence to file metadata in general. A hidden 'Get info' inspector is really not up to the task.

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2006, 05:24 PM

I think the Get Info inspector is one element in OS X that definitely needs to be redesigned. If you expand all the items, the thing can get very tall very fast. I would prefer it to be grouped into tabs like "General", "Permissions", "Metadata", etc.

Much more organized and space-saving.
Mac OS X vs. Windows Vista
http://www.macvswindows.com/

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2006, 05:32 PM

Quartz Extreme 2D: Is it turned on?

- Mark

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2006, 05:55 PM

I would prefer it to be grouped into tabs
With tabs you can never see the information at the same time. With the expandable pane you can when you expand to ones you are interested in.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 07:46 PM

Let's all hope for a better, more efficient and flexible way at entering metadata. Anytime I save/create a file I should be able to hit a keystroke and then type in some metadata right there. I dont think of the file name when doing a Spotlight search. I think "video of hacking" or "tutorial on cocoa and Objective-C" or "backup page created for new client" etc etc... stuff that would be too long and unorderly for a file name.

Now there's a good idea for someone to implement as an app and make a few $$$... but would it be possible?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Philip J. Fry
How does that not break NDA?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2006, 09:34 PM

Without breaking your NDA, can one of the devs at WWDC please send me a copy of Leopard?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Without breaking your NDA, can one of the devs at WWDC please send me a copy of Leopard?
Without breaking the NDA? Of course not. That's like asking if you can drive 110 MPH on I-95 without breaking the law.

It should be available to premiere subscription developers in a couple weeks, though.

And I don't think this is a beta release. Its a developers (read: alpha) release.

I'm also quite surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. It does break forum rules.


Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2006, 10:45 PM

I'm pretty sure he was joking.
Vandelay Industries

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 10:55 PM

Funny, I like that.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2006, 03:25 AM

What kind of Mac is running such Leopard buid?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2006, 04:10 AM

•

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
I am hoping a really old TiBook!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2006, 08:40 AM

I think the Get Info inspector is one element in OS X that definitely needs to be redesigned. If you expand all the items, the thing can get very tall very fast. I would prefer it to be grouped into tabs like "General", "Permissions", "Metadata", etc.

Much more organized and space-saving.
Metadata? What are regular end users supposed to think when they read that? I do think that Get Info could use some work, specifically the users and groups permissions menu. There are far too many esoteric users and groups shown to users. The major users and groups should be there, but the others should be placed in a submenu labeled something like System Users and System Groups. Right now it looks like a Unix admin is required to manage permissions.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

zign
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by sc_markt
Quartz Extreme 2D: Is it turned on?

This is what i wanted to know as well
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb

NOT G3's. Only G4 and up.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2006, 02:15 PM

On "Get Info"

The functionality and information available through 'Get Info' is too well hidden currently. And I also find it kind of 'technical' and cluttered. I'm mainly hoping Apple has found better ways to help users learn about things like keywords, editable icons, labels and other file info.

The OS X Finder already started down this path by allowing for 'Item info'. I think this could be expanded in interesting ways. Windows does it using a left side window pane, which is not bad. Apple might well find some even better, unintrusive way.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
NOT G3's. Only G4 and up.
My main concern is about the build being so damn fast. Maybe what I should have said is something like 'dude, since everything flies -and crashes-… what kind of intel Mac do you have there ?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2006, 06:20 PM

Post pix of teh piles

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2006, 06:50 PM

Keep in mind that this is NOT actually a beta at all. It is merely a "preview". It is not there for the purpose of providing bug testing feedback to Apple, it is merely to give developers a bit of an idea of what's in store.

That means it's probably been last-minute hacked (by Apple) to remove things they don't want you to see yet. It also means that it has not been completed enough for serious testing.
( Last edited by Brass; Aug 13, 2006 at 06:56 PM. )

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Aug 13, 2006, 11:20 PM

Well it's still crashing all the time, any developers out there know how I can start building something with coreanimation? I installed my developer tools for it...

Also the demo where ichat has motion video background (greenscreening) I can't figure it out at all, even with two leopard computers, If you launch quicktime, there is an option "send to ichat" but it didn't do anything.

Also the version Steve Jobs used on stage was newier than the preview build they gave us.

And to clear up anything, this "preview" is technically a beta. Apple documentation lists it clearly in the installer as "Beta Build 9A241"

Anyway, I can't wait to see the new finder, also the save dialog boxes lets you do icon view, like windows, ALSO it has a feature I've always wanted for years, and years and years. YOU CAN CHOOSE Save or OPEN and drag a folder into the dialog box, to automatically navigate to that directory. Great timesaver when the window is already open.

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Aug 13, 2006, 11:34 PM

spotlight is an app + the usual menubar item, you can launch it both ways. It's very clear that it's just a preview of what's going to happen in the finder.

Originally Posted by Gavin
It gives you more control over the process. I always end up searching again from the finder.

Hmmmm...

or maybe because the adavanced features are built into the mythical new finder. They wanted to save the finder for later so in order to preview Spotlight's features they had to break it out into a container app. So it may be a temporary app for the beta.

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Aug 13, 2006, 11:53 PM

Check out this safari feature, if you enter text in forms and try to close the tab before submitting safari alerts you. Awesome!

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=447469

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2006, 11:53 PM

ALSO it has a feature I've always wanted for years, and years and years. YOU CAN CHOOSE Save or OPEN and drag a folder into the dialog box, to automatically navigate to that directory. Great timesaver when the window is already open.
I can do that in Tiger.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69
Sigh...

The names of the companies are Apple and Microsoft respectively. Neither computers nor operating systems are capable of releasing software.
Wow. Pull whatever you've got up your a$$ out and sell it on ebay.

Originally Posted by chris v
Halle-freaking-Luja!
No doubt. (But we've heard that before have we not?)

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 01:23 AM

Check out this safari feature, if you enter text in forms and try to close the tab before submitting safari alerts you. Awesome!

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=447469
I hope you can disable that alert; that's going to annoy the hell out of me. When I close a tab, dammit, I want it closed.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 04:08 AM

Anyway, I can't wait to see the new finder, also the save dialog boxes lets you do icon view, like windows, ALSO it has a feature I've always wanted for years, and years and years. YOU CAN CHOOSE Save or OPEN and drag a folder into the dialog box, to automatically navigate to that directory. Great timesaver when the window is already open.
That's been there at least since Tiger, Panther too, I believe. You can also drag and drop an object into a Terminal window to copy its file path there.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by El Gato
I hope you can disable that alert; that's going to annoy the hell out of me. When I close a tab, dammit, I want it closed.
Would you also like to disable "Your document has unsaved changes" in every document-based application?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 14, 2006, 10:01 AM

It only does that for tabs where you have entered text and not submitted it. Not every tab you close.

"Hello, what have we here?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I'll bet this is like Beta 0.01, and nowhere near a release candidate. Crashing? How un-Mac!
Given that Steve said it would ship "in spring 2007," I'd hope that over the next 5-8 months some stuff could be added, more than if this were a "release candidate"

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Moose
Would you also like to disable "Your document has unsaved changes" in every document-based application?
No.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 02:59 PM

No.
The warning only comes up in Safari when you've entered text into a form and not posted it back to the server.

Forum Links
Forum Rules