Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes set up for 2 collections?

iTunes set up for 2 collections?
Steve SpotOn
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 06:21 AM

OK I'm new to iTunes so please be gentle with me!

I've started importing all my lovely old music CD's for playing at home... which is great (or will be once I've done it).
But I also want to set up a seperate collection of music I use for work - this is music used in my video editing and is a collection of buy-out CD's of background music.

What's the best workflow for keeping them separate? Also is there an easy way to copy my 'work collection' to import them into other iTunes on Mac's at my work place?

TIA, Steve

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 06:50 AM

I do know that there is a command to create 2 separate libraries, sadly I don't know it.
Signature depreciated.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 07:36 AM

Hold the option key down and you can select a new music library as iTunes opens if you really want two different iTunes-es?!? Personally I'd just create a playlist for the work songs which you could share (only listen) with others on your work network? If they need to use the songs for something else, you'd have to "pass" them the files manually though.

You could all share a "work" version of the iTunes library (stored on the network somewhere), but this will likely end in disaster, find out how here.

iTunes isn't designed to share editable music, so I'd consider simply storing the organised music files somewhere on a work network? Then let each individual do whatever they want with a stand-alone (which others can listen to/browse) localised version of iTunes?

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2007, 08:30 AM

i'm currently doing something similar to what you want. i use 2 different users to keep my libraries separate. to transfer music, any portable hard drive should work. right now i'm using an older firewire ipod.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Forum Links
Forum Rules