Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Photoshop window switching; Command-Shift-`

Photoshop window switching; Command-Shift-`
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2007, 08:18 AM

This has been the case for many years now and it persists in Photoshop CS3.

To switch windows within the application, instead of being able to press Command-`, as you can in almost every single other Mac application, you must press Command-Shift-`.

The only reason I can think this is the case is that the keyboard shortcut might be hardcoded as Command-~ and to achieve the ~ character on a UK keyboard you must hold down Shift whilst pressing `.

So, all I ask is if anyone else is bothered by this and if anyone knows a way of changing this keyboard shortcut? I cannot find it anywhere in the Keyboard Shortcuts screen.
( Last edited by megasad; Jul 4, 2007 at 09:37 AM. )
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2007, 11:29 AM

I didn't even know Photoshop had a shortcut to switch windows. But that works. How did you find out?

zro
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 12:27 PM

That's Adobe for you. No respect for the Mac users environment.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
I didn't even know Photoshop had a shortcut to switch windows. But that works. How did you find out?
Back in CS1 or CS2 I discovered it, though using CS2 on my MacBook for the last year it would randomly stop working sometimes until the next reboot and I never did work out why.

I tried it in the first place because Shift-` = ~ and Command-~ is how the window-switching shortcut is sometimes written.

Originally Posted by zro View Post
That's Adobe for you. No respect for the Mac users environment.
Does this affect US keyboards too, then? I thought it only affected UK ones and that this was why Adobe hadn't bothered to ever fix it, as maybe they don't particularly care about other countries... Now I feel better, knowing they care not about everyone equally!

If only it was a keyboard shortcut for an actual menu item... The Finder and BBEdit, as two examples, have "Cycle Through Windows" under the "Window" menu, allocated to Command-` by default, but because it is actually listed there you can change it to anything you want.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2007, 07:43 PM

To switch between open documents in PS for me is control+tab. It's a non-standard shortcut, but no harder than command+` is, once you get used to it.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
To switch between open documents in PS for me is control+tab. It's a non-standard shortcut, but no harder than command+` is, once you get used to it.
Nice one, that works too. I find it okay to use on its own but when I am swapping between lots of documents and performing other tasks on each using other (Command key based) shortcuts, moving my thumb between Command and Control unfortunately means that Command-Shift-` is still faster. But is helpful for the future, though it does stamp home what zro was saying about Adobe. Oh well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules