Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Macally Icekey slim

Macally Icekey slim
shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 12:08 PM

To users of this keyboard in OS X.. I installed the driver.. and was wondering, how does one get to turn on the num lock feature of this keyboard..?

Pressing the actual button does not turn on the led indicator...so is this feature just application dependent or something?

Looked through all the help files and no definitive answer.. mailed the company and no answer...

TIA

-----
update..
Got my answer.. right from the horse's mouth...

so that light will never come on..unless I get a PC.
--------
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us.

The NumLock is for the PC user only. For Mac, it always enabled.

If you have any question, please let me know

Best Regards,
( Last edited by shabbasuraj; Jul 12, 2007 at 02:48 PM. )
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 10:57 AM

On another note... anyone else use the Macally Icekey slim?

What are your impressions?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 13, 2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj View Post
On another note... anyone else use the Macally Icekey slim?

What are your impressions?
I have used it before but I no longer own one. I current have the Kensington Slim Type keyboard. From what I remember the Macalley keyboard wasn't bad. The reason I went with Kensington was because I like the more cushy button feel compared to the Macalley's slightly stiffer feel. It just comes down to personal preference in which you like.

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 01:33 PM

Interesting... I prefer this key action to the mushy feel of those membrane type keyboards..

Just aside.. what is the purpose of the 'blank' un-identified key below the right hand shift key?

I assume it was some sort of design error, or something that was left over when they decided to port this keyboard over for usage in a Mac.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 13, 2007, 02:16 PM

Just aside.. what is the purpose of the 'blank' un-identified key below the right hand shift key?

I assume it was some sort of design error, or something that was left over when they decided to port this keyboard over for usage in a Mac.
I think you are right. It's probably left over from the port over from PC. I'm not an expert on Macalley keyboards so I'm only guessing too.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2007, 02:39 PM

I have the iKeyslim (the older version I suppose, with the keyboard power button). I'd say I like it a little less than the OEM Apple Pro Keyboard it replaced (when that keyboard failed), partially because of key feel and partially because I believe I'm a bit less accurate with it than the Apple keyboard.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2007, 12:55 AM

I have a re-occurring gremlin/problem with this keyboard.. after I awake the computer from a long sleep, the 4 keys (vol=-,mute, eject) above the keypad stop working for some reason..

But then I reboot and everything is ok....

So I deleted the apple.com.keyboardtype.plist in the Library/preferences folder.. and still it occurs occasionally..

Deleted.. Re-installed the driver.. and it still happens occasionally..

sux to be me.. LOL..

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 14, 2007, 12:37 PM

I have a re-occurring gremlin/problem with this keyboard.. after I awake the computer from a long sleep, the 4 keys (vol=-,mute, eject) above the keypad stop working for some reason..

But then I reboot and everything is ok....

So I deleted the apple.com.keyboardtype.plist in the Library/preferences folder.. and still it occurs occasionally..

Deleted.. Re-installed the driver.. and it still happens occasionally..

sux to be me.. LOL..
I don't know what's causing the problem. You might want to contact the Macalley support. I'm surprised that you had to install a driver. My Kensington was plug and play. I put my computer to sleep a lot and haven't experienced any problems with the volume buttons. I haven't had any issues with this keyboard so far.

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
I don't know what's causing the problem. You might want to contact the Macalley support. I'm surprised that you had to install a driver. My Kensington was plug and play. I put my computer to sleep a lot and haven't experienced any problems with the volume buttons. I haven't had any issues with this keyboard so far.

FIgured it out.. One should install the correct driver.. LOL... (i.e., the one that is NOT the universal driver if one is using a G4...)

... all is well now in Mac land.....

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 01:04 PM

The Num Lock will work while in Microsoft Office.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
The Num Lock will work while in Microsoft Office.
Just tried it.. not working for me.. how exactly are you getting it to 'work'?

Can you get the LED to turn on?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2007, 05:02 PM

FIgured it out.. One should install the correct driver.. LOL... (i.e., the one that is NOT the universal driver if one is using a G4...)

... all is well now in Mac land.....
Could you post a link to the old, "non-Intel" driver? It's not on Macally's site apparently, and I am having the same troubles. Or maybe e-mail it to me? Check your PMs. Thanks.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2007, 04:46 PM

To reiterate—do not use the universal binary version of the driver on PPC machines! It seems to work sporadically at best. And when they stop working, it seems a logout or restart is the only solution to kick them back into gear.

I found the PPC version myself. For anyone interested, and are also having these problems, here is the OS X-only PPC version of the driver—the one that actually seems to work all the time:

http://mindfad.com/boards/old_icekey_driver_osx.zip

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 11:48 AM

I'm on my second IceKey...the sleep bug is annoying as hell, so ill try that driver. Random keys are turning yellow, and its gunked up bad.

I'm thinking I might check out the new Apple keyboard...

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2007, 11:31 PM

Here is the link..

drivers - Tech Support - Macally

Update...

So far... I am totally loving the feel of this keyboard... the feel really is very nice, and very comparable to the PB/MBP keys (which I consider to be the REFERENCE STANDARD for all keyboards, in terms of tactile feel, travel, and sound..)

Plus the black is so nice on the desktop.

Drawbacks? Blank key to the right of the rightside control key is virtually worthless...
( Last edited by shabbasuraj; Aug 15, 2007 at 09:00 AM. )

Aegis
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2007, 02:13 AM

I just got one, black. It does look really nice and the key action feels good.
Does anyone else find the keys too close together? I have big hands, but maybe it just takes some getting used to.

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn View Post
I'm on my second IceKey...the sleep bug is annoying as hell, so ill try that driver. Random keys are turning yellow, and its gunked up bad.

I'm thinking I might check out the new Apple keyboard...
So did it work... after installing the proper driver?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Aug 15, 2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Does anyone else find the keys too close together? I have big hands, but maybe it just takes some getting used to.
It's been awhile since I've used the Macalley keyboard but I'm currently using the Kensington SlimType and the keys are too close together. I remember the Macally keyboard being about the same. I'm about average height so it's not like my fingers are too big for the keys.

Actually it's about the same a standard PC keyboard. Apparently Apple either uses wider keys or they are just spaced further apart. My PowerBook keyboard feels so good to type on that I wish I could just hook up my laptop somehow to my desktop. I can easily notice a difference when going from my PowerBook to my desktop.

I'm still trying to find a similar keyboard for my desktop. The Kensington does have a nice action feel but after a few hours of typing I do feel the strain of the close keys. I never had that problem with my laptop. I'll probably try out the new Apple keyboard eventually since it looks similar to their laptop keyboards.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2007, 06:24 AM

So what does the new Apple keyboard feel like? Is it just like the MacBook or what?

Forum Links
Forum Rules