Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Must have MB accessories?

Must have MB accessories?
arkanefyre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2007, 01:18 AM

Come a few weeks, I'll own my very first laptop. A BlacMac, no less. Apart from being extremely excited, I'm extremely curious as to what accessories that you consider as must-haves.

I'll be commuting to university everyday, and using the MB for word processing, image editing, music listening, and internet browsing.

Can you guys give me some recommendations? Thanks!

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2007, 02:33 AM

Depending on you, I'd say an external HD.
Applecare, eventually. It IS a laptop, and they tend to get beat on more.

A nice case, one that's comfortable and you want to use.
I suggest a Laptop Messenger from Timbuk2 Bags - Timbuk2

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2007, 07:56 AM

Main thing is to get a really good laptop backpack, and put some additional foam in the very bottom. The suspended laptop pocket is good, but backpacks do tend to get set down hard. I took an old backpacking pad and cut it to fit the very bottom of my backpack. I like the Wenger Maxxum, because of the great placement of the pockets, the compression straps to keep stuff from flopping, and the great back padding.

Buy.com - Maxxum Computer Backpack by Wenger SwissGear (r) Maker of the Genuine Swiss Army Knife(tm)

After that, a bluetooth mouse, an external firewire/usb2 HD (for backups, storage) and an external burner (the internal burner is way slower than the 18X that you can assemble from newegg.com, macally case and pioneer 18X, for around $80). Always seems there's some burning going, faster is better.

External speakers, good headphones for when you don't want to bother people. Bluetooth headset for switching between your mobile and Skype on the MB. External monitor, to give your eyes a rest from the glossy MB.

wilsonng
Senior User
Aug 12, 2007, 09:10 AM

I enjoy the iLap for times when I wanna use my laptop on lap when I'm on the couch...

Rain Designs iLap notebook stand - for 13" lapto... (10023) at OWC

A USB 2.0 hub is the perfect solution for hooking up multiple USB devices.

I'd also get a memory card reader if you use a digital camera a lot.

The Road Tools Traveler Pad works nicely as a portable stand to help elevate your MacBook to get some airflow underneath it.

RoadTools BLACK Travel Bundle - CoolPad Podiu... (RTTRAVEL) at OWC

A MacBook sleeve would be great for putting your MacBook inside a backpack. Can't go wrong with protection.

A 19" LCD monitor along with a USB keyboard and mouse makes a great workstation in the home office or work office. Oh, some computer speakers would be nice for your music listening pleasure.

I also agree with the external HD and external DVD burner as well....

And last but not least, memory sticks.... can never get enough memory in that MacBook!
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

turntabletux
Aug 14, 2007, 07:04 PM

I would definitely vote for the Mighty Mouse, if you do a lot of Photoshop work.

And last but not least, memory sticks.... can never get enough memory in that MacBook!
I agree as well. I am currently working on getting 3GB of RAM in my Macbook.

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2GHZ 1GB of RAM

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2007, 09:48 PM

I would agree to buying an external mouse, but honestly, I wouldn't buy a Mighty Mouse. For the money, it's not worth it. I suggest picking up a nice multi button wireless Logitech.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2007, 11:04 PM

How do you get 3GB of RAM in a MacBook? I thought it only supported up to 2GB.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

turntabletux
Aug 15, 2007, 08:58 PM

I would agree to buying an external mouse, but honestly, I wouldn't buy a Mighty Mouse. For the money, it's not worth it. I suggest picking up a nice multi button wireless Logitech.
True, I did have a nice wireless Logitech with multi-buttons. I just so happen to get the Mighty Mouse as a gift and have been using it ever since.

How do you get 3GB of RAM in a MacBook? I thought it only supported up to 2GB.
3GB are supported AND Where to buy =] Enjoy!
( Last edited by turntabletux; Aug 15, 2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: URL's too close)

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2GHZ 1GB of RAM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2007, 11:31 PM

Cool, thanks for the links.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 01:20 AM

I used my bluetooth headset with Skype today, so I'm also gonna recommend getting a nice bluetooth headset--you can roam around your laptop while on Skype. Get one with wind-blocking, you can switch it over to your mobile when needs be.

Corbenk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 12:47 AM

Actually, I think this would be a better deal for memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231069

A one gig module, 40 bucks, so 2 gigs for 80.

wilsonng
Senior User
Aug 24, 2007, 03:35 AM

I like to use a small car power inverter that can be used to charge up my laptop while I'm in the car......

Just make sure to get one that is rated for more than the 65 watts the MB craves...

It's helpful if your car doesn't have an AC outlet already.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

imemikey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 04:19 PM

i would also pickup a wrist guard to keep the area around the trackpad clean. i've seen macs with that area all worn out and it doesn't look clean. But since you have a black mac, I dont know if this applies to you. But I like it on mine.
iMac 24 inch 2.8GHz | 2GB RAM
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 3GB RAM
MacBook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
iPhone 8GB
ViewSonic 22 inch Monitor

redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2007, 02:56 AM

Laptop bag. Don't bother with a sleeve, just get a nice bag. Look into a Kensington rolling bag if your back hurts.
iSkin ProTouch keyboard cover - protects from spills and keeps keyboard from getting worn.
Invisible Shield - shieldzone.com - protects trackpad, wrist rests and outer case. Makes the BlackBook shiny, though.
External HD or, better yet, NAS. So you have everything backed up in case of theft or drops.
UPS battery back up or power conditioner. So you get good quality electricity.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2007, 03:11 AM

A good external keyboard really helps if you are typing a lot. The MacBook keyboard feels mushier than I expected. I bought an older Cherry MA4100 "hacker style" keyboard with mechanical (clicky) key switches on Ebay for $20, and it is great. It isn't even as wide as the MacBook, so it doesn't take up much desk space, but it really helps the hands, and I type faster on it to.

snowcake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2007, 08:36 PM

I really love my Incase laptop sleeve. It's great for when I'm traveling anywhere from class to the cafe. That way I can stick my laptop in whatever bag I'm carrying - backpack, tote, whatever.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Sep 6, 2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by xsphat View Post
A good external keyboard really helps if you are typing a lot. The MacBook keyboard feels mushier than I expected. I bought an older Cherry MA4100 "hacker style" keyboard with mechanical (clicky) key switches on Ebay for $20, and it is great. It isn't even as wide as the MacBook, so it doesn't take up much desk space, but it really helps the hands, and I type faster on it to.
Is there anywhere else online besides Ebay that I could get that "hacker style" keyboard? Also could you post a pic of it if you have one available. I do like my MacBook keyboard a lot, but I've always wanted a hacker style keyboard. Thanks in advanced!

kuchiki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2007, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Main thing is to get a really good laptop backpack, and put some additional foam in the very bottom. The suspended laptop pocket is good, but backpacks do tend to get set down hard. I took an old backpacking pad and cut it to fit the very bottom of my backpack. I like the Wenger Maxxum, because of the great placement of the pockets, the compression straps to keep stuff from flopping, and the great back padding.
That's a great tip to put some extra foam at the bottom of a laptop bag. Shall do the same thing with my incase sling pack.
I suggest getting a full body set of invisible shield if you are somebody who worries a lot about scratching. I have a set applied myself on my MB and it sure is nice (a detailed review is on my blog with some application advice since it is a bit tricky to get the shields on).
If you are looking for a cooling pad I highly recommend the antec notebook cooler: it's silent and it's effective.
I think that was it for now

MB-switcher
My newly created blog about the Macbook and home of iMountIt
News, Reviews, Tutorials, Giveaways and more.
Visit: Days of our Macbooks

Forum Links
Forum Rules