Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't delete files; weird permissions

Can't delete files; weird permissions
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2007, 12:55 PM

I've just installed Leopard, copied across my files from a backup hard drive, and now find I can't delete them without providing an admin password.

The permissions for all these files look like this:

I've tried applying new ones in the Finder and using the Terminal and even using Transmit but whilst I can modify the bottom three rows (simon, admin, everyone), the weird extra "everyone" row at the top, the one with "Custom" in it always remains and seems to be the cause of all my bother.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2007, 11:40 AM

Anyone? Please? The only other way I can think to fix this is to copy all 100GB+ over again and hope that whatever went wrong last time doesn't go wrong this time...
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2007, 11:43 AM

Where are the files? Are they in the user account, or in the system area?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2007, 12:02 PM

If your account is an admin, try changing admin to read & write.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2007, 12:35 PM

Those are caused by Access control lists on the files. To view them do an "ls -le" in the terminal. You'll probably find that it's "everyone deny delete" which is used for all the special folders in your home directory. To remove it you can chmod -a "everyone deny delete". Conversely to add it back in you'd chmod +a "everyone deny delete".
( Last edited by wr11; Nov 2, 2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: more info)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2007, 12:47 PM

Interesting, thank you for the info, wr11.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2007, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by wr11 View Post
Those are caused by Access control lists on the files. To view them do an "ls -le" in the terminal. You'll probably find that it's "everyone deny delete" which is used for all the special folders in your home directory. To remove it you can chmod -a "everyone deny delete". Conversely to add it back in you'd chmod +a "everyone deny delete".
Hoy, thank you for that. I think I must have told MacNN to not tell me about new posts by email because I didn't read this until just now and last night I gave in and simply copied most of my stuff back from the backup, except my Library folder, which I worked out another workaround for; Compress "Library" in the Finder, then unzip the resulting zip and all the files have had their permissions fixed. But I shall keep your advice in mind in case this ever happens again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules