Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > BUY Macbook on Black Friday Sale, or Wait for New Supposedly "Ultra Portable" Laptop?

BUY Macbook on Black Friday Sale, or Wait for New Supposedly "Ultra Portable" Laptop?
prominence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2007, 03:24 AM

I really want an aluminum laptop like the macbook pros, but I want the portability and better battery life of the regular macbooks.

I love the black macbook, but if Apple really is coming out with this portable aluminum one, how much do you think it will be priced in?

I'd be willing to pay $1500-2000 for the new ultra portable, but I can get a very nice black macbook for cheap during this black Friday sale!

What should I do? Any advice?

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2007, 11:52 AM

How about if I don't care about the ultra portable, should I buy a plain vanilla MacBook today, or will Apple be coming out with a new version and/or lower price at SF MacWorld?
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2007, 01:31 PM

You could always buy a MacBook now and eBay it if they do release an ultraportable.

Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post
How about if I don't care about the ultra portable, should I buy a plain vanilla MacBook today, or will Apple be coming out with a new version and/or lower price at SF MacWorld?
The MacBook was just updated this month... it will be 6 months before another update.
( Last edited by mduell; Nov 23, 2007 at 06:39 PM. )

Smillz
Nov 23, 2007, 05:11 PM

The macbook is already super portable. I say just go with the macbook

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2007, 06:37 PM

Ugh not another one of these questions...

Just buy what you need when you need it (or when you get a great deal on it). Macs hold their value well enough that if you *really* *must* *have* something that comes out shortly thereafter, you sell what you've got and get what you want.

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Smillz View Post
The macbook is already super portable. I say just go with the macbook
The MacBook is about twice the weight of an ultraportable. For people looking for an ultraportable the MacBook isn't even close.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
You could always buy a MacBook now and eBay it if they do release an ultraportable.
That's my strategy. Bought MacBooks for the wife and me today, but mine'll be up for sale the week an ultraportable ships, if that happens. If it really is announced at MWSF '08, my MacBook's resale value will probably still be pretty damn high. I can think of the depreciation as a rental fee.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2007, 01:27 AM

Also remember the frequent curse of buying a first generation Apple product. Might be prudent to wait for the first revision of the alleged MacBook Pro Nano or whatever they'll call it. Having the new MacBook now will make that wait a bit easier.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by brettcamp View Post
Also remember the frequent curse of buying a first generation Apple product. Might be prudent to wait for the first revision of the alleged MacBook Pro Nano or whatever they'll call it. Having the new MacBook now will make that wait a bit easier.
I've only seen anecdotal evidence of said "curse", so I don't really have reason to consider it. If someone can show me evidence based on reliable sampling methods, I might believe they're onto something.

Nope. If Apple can shave another pound or more off the weight of my MacBook without major UI performance penalties, I'm buying the first version.

lowbuzz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 11:28 PM

I don't think it's "anecdotal". You pretty much have to be fearless to buy "first generation" anything - that goes for new engines (autos), computers, etc.

I bought the first "OS X" iBook - and the thing was a nightmare I was just lucky it wasn't my primary machine - and I could send it back and forth to Apple while they replaced logic boards, etc. The problems bordered on being outright silly

So the rich brats buy the first generation, the kinks get worked out - then by the 2nd (or to play it safe, 3rd) revision, you might have a dependable machine.

Nothing anecdotal about system-wide failures - whether or not Apple acknowledges and fixes them all with extended warranties, whatever. You're still asking for trouble.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2007, 12:24 PM

If it's not anecdotal, then cite me some data.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2007, 12:40 PM

The curse is overhyped. Where there are problems, they are usually fixed pdq.

stevebez
Dec 1, 2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
If it's not anecdotal, then cite me some data.
Ever heard of the PowerBook 5300? You know, the first PPC laptop? I worked at an Apple sales/repair shop at the time, and they were a disaster. Out of curiosity, sales and repair got together and compared records. sampling 2 seperate months we found that ~ 58% of the PowerBook 5300's we sold were back in for broken power ports within 6 months. The worst part? the second month we sampled was after the 5300 power port recall!

There have been plenty of issues with first gen Apple hardware over the years. Don't believe me? Go plug an ~ 80 gig drive to the built in ata on a rev 1 B&W G3, and then use it as your main desktop for a while.

lowbuzz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2007, 04:01 PM

On the "cite me some", I'll just get catty like the veterans are here sometimes with the noobs like me

Google is your friend.

Also, it's nothing against Apple - just overall, first generation products are buggy. That's why I have a Jeep with an inline 6, the most dependable motor ever made for the Jeep.

Pressured by my fiancee to show the Jeep could handle it, I made the VERY stupid mistake of trying to drive across a gravel road that had gone underwater. I've had the Jeep totally submerged in a lake before, so I thought "no big deal."

Problem was - quarter of a way across, I realized it wasn't just water across the road. The creek was actually flowing - so the Jeep gets caught in the flow and starts edging sideways

So I freak out, do the STUPIDEST thing possible - actually slam it in reverse. The Jeep literally GROWLED, dug in, and pulled us back out.

Jeeps are cool. Apples are cool. Levis are cool. Wayfarers are cool. And they last forever.

UNLESS you go out and buy a first-gen Apple, cuz Steve is jonesin' to be first out of the door with the newest technology -

Great for marketing, bad for trusting as your primary machine

And until Stevie boy can figure out how to prevent the iPhone from giving me cancer - I think I'll let him and the other future zombies run about with their little Cancerpods

Only a COMPLETE moron would buy a cell phone that does anything but make calls - and only then when you can't use a real phone.

If you're interested, you can Google that one, too. Or for non-stop fun and excitement, try googling "Microwave". Yeah, that little oven that's been banned in the Soviet Union since the 70s.

Be a fanboy all you want - I am - but no harm in being a discerning consumer.
( Last edited by lowbuzz; Dec 1, 2007 at 04:11 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules