Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal Email Reminders

iCal Email Reminders
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 06:37 PM

I'm using a Gmail account with Mail.

Whenever I set an event to have an emailed reminder to me, I never get it in my Mail Inbox. I see it in Mail's Sent folder, but it never reaches my Inbox.

Now if I go to Gmail's site and view my mail there, the event reminders are in my inbox.

What do you think is happening, and how can it be fixed?
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2007, 12:29 PM

Does no one have any idea? This would be so worth it if I could get it to work, but without it reaching my inbox, its pretty much worthless.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2007, 01:40 AM

Wish I could help, but all I can report is that the same thing happens to me. I only email stuff to myself for backup purposes, though, so it's no biggie to me whether it arrives in my Mail inbox, but I understand your frustration for your uses. Maybe shoot an email to Google customer service? Do let us know if you figure it out.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2007, 02:31 AM

Thanks, I'll do that.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2007, 02:35 AM

Did you try sending a message to yourself?

When you send a message to your Gmail account from your POP client, you won't receive a copy. However, messages you send to your Gmail address from your Gmail account will arrive in your inbox if you are the only recipient.
So I guess it just won't happen...

Maybe when my account gains IMAP access?

warsaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2007, 11:35 AM

I've found the same problem here. It's a recent problem, one month or two.
After a bit of investigation I've found what is the cause: the gmail smtp server.

I was using it as an authenticate server and it gives me these annoyances.
Let's try three things:

- to sent to you an email from the web interface of gmail. mail.app receives it
- to set up mail.app to use another smtp server, and then sent to you an email, it works
- to create another account in mail, with another address (not gmail). then associate this account with the gmail smtp, the problem will come out.

I think Google has changed the way they handle the smtp server, read here:

A reader says: "Some clarification: I set up Gmail for a client for SMTP access, and we discovered the following huge drawback: Gmail automatically rewrites the "from" line of any e-mail you send via their SMTP gateway to your Gmail address, and it overrides any Reply-To settings you may have in your e-mail software in favor of the one in Gmail's web interface. So while Gmail's SMTP access sure is handy, it's not a perfect solution for everybody.

So a first workaround is to use another reliable authenticate smtp server.
You can send a bug report to gmail here:

Gmail: Help Center
( Last edited by warsaw; Dec 2, 2007 at 11:37 AM. Reason: I've add email notification in my account preference)

warsaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2007, 07:05 AM

I've found a better solution.

So, let's assume i have this account on gmail: [email protected]. In this case, the authenticate smtp server is smtp.gmail.com:[email protected]. If i send to me a mail from mail.app, I won't receive it. Moreover, in the gmail web interface this mail will appear sent by "me".

This morning I've tried to use another gmail smtp server. I have another gmail account, but I don't check it using mail.app. So I've setted up mail and [email protected] to use this smtp server smtp.gmail.com:[email protected].

It works!

And, moreover, in the gmail web interface this mail will appear sent by "Name Surname".

I hope it helps

warsaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2007, 08:45 AM

Don't consider my solution above. It doesn't work. As gmail "rewrites the "from" line of any e-mail you send via their SMTP gateway to your Gmail address, and it overrides any Reply-To settings you may have in your e-mail software", people started replying to [email protected]...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2007, 11:37 AM

Gmail seems very problematic when accessing from anything but their own web interface.
Email reminders from iCal work fine for me, but I don't use gmail.

Forum Links
Forum Rules