Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Leopard and Acrobat Pro 8 (CS3)

Leopard and Acrobat Pro 8 (CS3)
Macola
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 02:43 PM

Adobe doesn't seem to be too forthcoming as to what *specific* features of Acrobat Pro 8 are incompatible with Leopard. I've heard anecdotal evidence that distilling files and routine PDF creation is fine, but figured I'd check here before I get out the Leopard DVD.

Is anyone here using Leopard as yet?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 08:53 AM

My mortagage payments depend upon my ability to work with my Mac. For that reason I'll be letting others be the guinea pigs for this release. If all looks good in six months time I'll consider upgrading. Until then I'll enjoy full use of all my perfs and a system that's running nearly flawlessly.

ChrisF
Senior User
Oct 31, 2007, 08:54 AM

The PDF printer does not work. Distiller does, however. It seems you'll find more info in the Adobe forums than on their Leopard FAQ.

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2007, 05:15 PM

Thanks, ChrisF. I'll probably go ahead and upgrade...will post back on what I find.

art_director, I was in the same boat as you. However, after 7 years of self-employment, I'm going back to the corporate world (thanks to astronomical health insurance costs) so I'm able to live on the bleeding edge a little (and I'm doing a Leopard demo for our Mac user group). I still plan to clone my disk first, though.

art_director
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
art_director, I was in the same boat as you. However, after 7 years of self-employment, I'm going back to the corporate world (thanks to astronomical health insurance costs) so I'm able to live on the bleeding edge a little (and I'm doing a Leopard demo for our Mac user group). I still plan to clone my disk first, though.
Please let us know how it goes -- evey step along the way. Also, would love to hear what equipment you're using in your environment.

Dare I say a Leopard + Design Software + Perphs thread?

JJM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2007, 12:36 PM

Help. I use Macs and PC's but am in to the Adobe CS3 thing in a big way. I make pdf's all day and modify them using even older versions of acrobat (5.0) cause some of the features make for an easier work around. What's this I hear that Leopard and Acrobat are not compatible?

Thorzdad
Nov 18, 2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by JJM View Post
Help. I use Macs and PC's but am in to the Adobe CS3 thing in a big way. I make pdf's all day and modify them using even older versions of acrobat (5.0) cause some of the features make for an easier work around. What's this I hear that Leopard and Acrobat are not compatible?
Apparently, there are a few small incompatibilities that might trip your workflow up. No biggie. Just hold off upgrading to Leopard until things iron themselves out. You don't score extra points for being the first on the block with the latest software.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 06:16 PM

I have installed leopard on my desktop workstation and seem to have no difficulties in our regular workflow.

We use Adobe CS3, Esko/Artwork Systems Nexus RIP software with their Powerlayout, Insight and Dotspy modules in narrow web flexographic printing.

I haven't tried Quark yet, but we don't have a license to 7 yet (on 6.5) so I'm not able to stay how it works yet.

Our font managment using Font Reserve (Extensis) Server/Client seems to work well (although the server portion is still on tiger).

Not having access to Classic OS9 is a minor inconvenience but I plan on setting up a Sheepshaver emulation environment that will at least let us open and convert many of our legacy files as needed. We have customers who request changes to artwork we have dating back to 1992! Much of that needs to be opened in the old FreeHand, Quark 4, etc.

Networking is really a dream and the screensharing built-in is really nice. I'm not sure in a corporate environment with passwording how nice this would be since its an all or nothing list of computers on your network.

If anyone has questions on 'will this work' should probably start a new thread though, if it isn't already started.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
I have installed leopard on my desktop workstation and seem to have no difficulties in our regular workflow.

We use Adobe CS3, Esko/Artwork Systems Nexus RIP software with their Powerlayout, Insight and Dotspy modules in narrow web flexographic printing.
Just an update. We may have an issue with the integration of the NexusInSight module in auto-opening the files for proofing of traps and separations. It appears to run and open the files, but not open them from within the Nexus Manager and the workflow process for the job.

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 07:26 PM

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread...I have not had major issues with CS3 and Leopard so far, including PDF output from ID. That said, I haven't pushed it to the limit, as I don't do a lot of production work myself. Our designer is humming along with a quad G5 and Tiger.

The only problem I did encounter with Leopard is font-related. Took me a while to figure that out.

art_director
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
The only problem I did encounter with Leopard is font-related. Took me a while to figure that out.
That sounds like a pain.

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2007, 02:32 PM

It was--I wish Apple would just adopt OpenType fonts as a standard, and be done with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules