Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Final questions before todays purchase

Final questions before todays purchase
Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2008, 08:51 AM

I plan to nab to iPhones today. The wifey has approved, and pending this thread, I'll be stopping at AT&T after work to get them.

1. Can I download an APP once, and share it between both phones? I am not interested in paying twice so my wife and I can have the same app.

2. Pop Mail, does it only work with popular programs like Google & Yahoo? Would I be able to enter my own pop3 settings and use my ComCast.net email?

3. I have an itunes account that is tied to an email address I no longer use. Is there a way to simply update my account with my current email address, as opposed to creating a new account? I ask because from what I understand, App store purchases are payable to Apple via Itunes and has nothing to do with AT&T, and I don't want to run into any problems.

I believe that is it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2008, 08:58 AM

The Gmail and Yahoo Mail support is IMAP.

Geofries  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2008, 09:15 AM

Ok, for google that is no problem. My wife uses gmail so I could set it up for her. What about pop3 mail on the iphone?

Steve SpotOn
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2008, 09:32 AM

I have 3 Pop mail accounts on my iPhone. The drawbacks (I think) are:
- you have to set your iPhone to fetch new mail (no 'push' facility).
- you can't see all your old e mails (mine are downloaded to my office PC and cleared off the server once downloaded)

Steve

Geofries  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2008, 09:43 AM

Good info. I assume that you set it to fetch at intervals, say like every 15 minutes or so? That's more than acceptable for me. My current lifestyle does not require I recieve email instantly. And as to the other, that wouldn't be a problem for me but I appreciate you noting it.

Any idea on apps on two phones?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2008, 10:46 AM

How to get pop mail converted to imap, if your ISP doesn't offer imap:

1. Open a gmail account, [email protected] or whatever takes your fancy
2. Enable imap
3. Forward your pop mail from your ISP to your gmail account.
4. Never have to worry about downloading email again.

If imap is not for you then the iPhone is perfectly capable of supporting pop accounts.

Not sure about the apps, but from stuff I've read I think (i.e not sure) that you can indeed share apps across two iPhones. Having said that, most apps cost under $5.00, so buying them twice will hardly break the bank.

Geofries  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2008, 11:04 AM

Thank you sir. Yeah 5 times 2 doesnt break the bank, but it's the principal ya know? Information appreciated.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2008, 11:40 AM

Not to be an ass, but most (Mac) apps you buy you're only allowed to use on one machine at the same time. If you want to use them on more than one machine it's time to buy a volume or family license, for most.

So the idea of having to pay for one application multiple times is nothing new. Now, I am not claiming to be holier than thou - or anybody for that matter - here, just pointing that out.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Not to be an ass, but most (Mac) apps you buy you're only allowed to use on one machine at the same time. If you want to use them on more than one machine it's time to buy a volume or family license, for most.

So the idea of having to pay for one application multiple times is nothing new. Now, I am not claiming to be holier than thou - or anybody for that matter - here, just pointing that out.
It doesn't work like that on the iphone. If you and your wife use the same account, you can download and re-download the same apps as much as you please onto your phones. Or, if you too use separate accounts, you can even have apps from 2 different accounts (probably more, but I've only tried it with 2) and you just have to type in the password for the respective account when you download the app.

On the appstore on the phone, you click to buy the app, type in the password, and then a message will pop up saying something like "you have already bought this app. click ok to download again for free."

Geofries  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2008, 03:06 PM

I assume you mean same itunes account and not same ATT account?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2008, 01:17 AM

1. Are both iPhones synced to the same computer? If not, you need to authorize your iTunes accounts on each computer. The apps work just like music purchased from the iTunes store, you can authorize up to 5 computers.

2. Comcast POP mail works just fine on the iPhone.

3. You can change the email address associated with your Apple ID but I don't think you can change the actual user name itself.

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/email/

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Geofries  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
1. Are both iPhones synced to the same computer? If not, you need to authorize your iTunes accounts on each computer. The apps work just like music purchased from the iTunes store, you can authorize up to 5 computers.

2. Comcast POP mail works just fine on the iPhone.

3. You can change the email address associated with your Apple ID but I don't think you can change the actual user name itself.

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/email/
=) Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules