Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to turn back on the startup chime

How to turn back on the startup chime
Thorzdad
May 21, 2020, 08:10 AM

I wasn't aware that Apple had turned-off the classic startup sound all Macs have been making since forever. Apparently, the switch started sometime in 2016. Anyway, a site called Mr.Macintosh has found the Terminal command to re-enable the sound.

To enable: sudo nvram StartupMute=%00
Then reboot.

To re-dis-able: sudo nvram StartupMute=%01
Then reboot.

Simply resetting PRAM will re-disable the sound, too.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 22, 2020, 09:41 AM

Why would you deliberately mute one of your brands iconic items? Everyone knows the Mac startup. Owners love it AND it lets others know that someone is using a Mac.
It makes no sense.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad  (op)
May 23, 2020, 11:16 AM

Beats me. Maybe just another small, quiet, step in the iOSification of MacOS? At least they merely disabled it, and didn’t just remove it.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 23, 2020, 11:49 PM

My God. I hadn't even realized that was missing! Thank you. The universe feels slightly more righted, now.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

juankax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2020, 03:48 PM

( Last edited by juankax; Jun 3, 2020 at 05:50 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2020, 06:18 PM

Nothing like hearing your Mac go "BROOOOOOONGGGGG" in your bag at 2:30 a.m. because it’s just installed a security update automatically, as per default setting, eh?

Beyond having to re-load the apps to running state, there is no practical difference between a Mac waking from deep sleep, booting up, or requiring a login for having rebooted after a silent update. Just log in and start working.

The Startup chime was removed from the late 2016 MacBooks Pro onwards because it had outlived its usefulness and had become a useless, and more often than not, annoying, tradition.

When I bought my late '16 MBP, it felt slightly awkward at first, but I haven’t really missed it, despite being a Mac guy since 1989. There have been more situations where it would have been annoying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules