Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disk Utility's Restore Feature -- How does it work?

Disk Utility's Restore Feature -- How does it work?
MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2004, 02:13 AM

I am sorta confused about the new restore feature added to Disk Utility.

What does it really do?

Can it create backup copies of your system to be restored later? Or do you have to use another app to create the .dmg holding your restore image?

Once you do have a disk image to restore from, can you use it on the disk you boot from, or does it only work on other disks?

I can't really find a lot of information on it, so if anyone who knows more about it or has used it could shed some light on this subject, I would appreciate it.

Mike

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 03:39 AM

I'm not *quite* sure exactly what you're asking, but:

Disk Utility can create disk images. Select the disk, go to Images -> New -> Image from VolumeName...

You do not need to create a disk image first, you can clone directly to another disk.

tooki

MPMoriarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2004, 05:45 PM

Oh I see. So let's say I have an external hard drive that I want to use as a back up for my entire system. I can use Disk Utility's restore feature to actually clone my start up drive to my external hard drive?

Sorry if my post is confusing. It's hard to ask a question about a feature that I have no idea how it works.

Mike

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by MPMoriarty:
Oh I see. So let's say I have an external hard drive that I want to use as a back up for my entire system. I can use Disk Utility's restore feature to actually clone my start up drive to my external hard drive?
Indeed. And you can even boot from the external drive.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules