Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > A Few Apps No-one should live without

A Few Apps No-one should live without
ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 11:38 AM

I've downloaded these all in the last fortnight and they are all indispensable now.

Expogesture

Allows you to set up gestures to activate keystokes. I'm using it to assign an anti-clockwise loop to cmd-[, to take me back a page in safari, clockwise loop to take me forward a page, cmd-], down up down to PgDn and left right left to cmd-alt-right arrow (desktop manager).

Desktop Manager

Desktop manager gives you multiple desktops, and allows you to switch desktops with a keystroke, thats where expogesture comes in. Even without the cube transitions on my pismo, its really cool.

Sidetrack

Sidetrack allows you to set the right hand side of your trackpad to a scrollbar, allowing you to scroll with the cursor anywhere. I've also assigned a tap on the top right of the trackpad to act as F9 (expose all windows).

uControl

uControl allows you to set a key that when held down will make your trackpad work as a kind of scroll pad. Really useful

Synergy

Synergy is a menubar control for iTunes. The little notification windows that come up at track changes are excellent.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:
Sidetrack

Sidetrack allows you to set the right hand side of your trackpad to a scrollbar, allowing you to scroll with the cursor anywhere. I've also assigned a tap on the top right of the trackpad to act as F9 (expose all windows).
defiantly seconded.

I've got vert and horz. scroll, plus top-left tap is right click, and top-right tap is middle click. very nice.

Still not as good as a 2 button mouse w/ scroll wheel - but indispensable for iBook/PowerBook users.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2004, 12:32 PM

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2004, 05:58 PM

I had some freezes on wake-from-sleep that coincided with installing Sidetrack. After removing Sidetrack it hasn't happened again. I have a 12" iBook G4 (800MHz). YMMV.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2004, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
defiantly seconded.

I've got vert and horz. scroll, plus top-left tap is right click, and top-right tap is middle click. very nice.

Still not as good as a 2 button mouse w/ scroll wheel - but indispensable for iBook/PowerBook users.

Very true I just tried it out am am using my trackpad more than my mouse! No crashes to report. will keep posted.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2004, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:
Desktop Manager

Desktop manager gives you multiple desktops, and allows you to switch desktops with a keystroke, thats where expogesture comes in. Even without the cube transitions on my pismo, its really cool.
Wow! I didn't know about this app. It's awesome!!

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2004, 09:41 PM

Somehow I look at the word "expogesture" and my brain reads "estrogen." Maybe I should go talk to my wife about that...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2004, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by LaGow:
Somehow I look at the word "expogesture" and my brain reads "estrogen." Maybe I should go talk to my wife about that...
Maybe not.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules