Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 17" display advice

17" display advice
brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 08:09 PM

I'm considering buying an external DVI display to go with my 12" Powerbook. I've seen some good recommendations, and I'd consider going up to 19" but I want to stay around $500-$600 if possible, and I only want a digital, not analog.

Does anyone know whether Apple will come out with a new 17" monitor to go with its new family of alumimum displays? If so, any idea when and how much it'd cost? I can get the old Apple 17# for around $600, but then you have to buy a DVI=> ADC adapter, which brings the price up too high compared to other good 17" displays. I'd appreciate any recommendations that fit those criteria, too. Thanks in advance.

toneloco28
Oct 8, 2004, 12:00 AM

Hi there. I recently faced the same dilemma in my quest for a new display to complement my *gasp* pc. I'm waiting on a 20 inch imac so i just wanted something fairly cheap to work on when i need to use the pc, and to span monitors with the imac when necessary. I can't speak as to when or if Apple will eventually come out with a 17 inch model to complete the lineup. I'm not sure if you wanted a widescreen model or not but i would highly recommend the Sony SDM-HS74P/S 17 inch screen with Xbrite technology. The color fidelity and, contrast on this monitor is incredible. It has both digital and analog inputs so it would connect directly to your powerbook as well as matching the aesthetic design. You can read up on all the specifications here.Monitor
As an aside Best Buy has this model for $499.99 with a $50.00 mail-in rebate.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 8, 2004, 03:17 AM

I highly doubt Apple will release a new 17" aluminum display. They dropped their old 17" display from their lineup and since than there has not even been as much of a hint of a 17" replacement. Also, I think as Apple has chosen to go widescreen, the 17" display is simply too small for most people and would look too awkward on many desks. I personally would love for Apple to release one, I just don't see it happening.

In my oppinion, a price drop on their 20" model is imminent, especially considering that you can now buy a fully equipped 17" iMac G5 for the same price. In Canada, the new iMac is actually $50 cheaper. Unbelievable.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules