Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Minimum Concurrent Users Standard

Minimum Concurrent Users Standard
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2006, 12:13 PM

Hey there,
The firm I work for is having an external vendor create a web application for our business. Their spec's state that we can expect it working flawlessly for up to 25 concurrent users. Isn't that low?

Does anyone have any links to white papers, etc. of what the standard number of concurrent users should be targeted to?

Thanks,
BD

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2006, 12:18 PM

Well, I think they should target and design it for 7 billion concurrent users, that way no matter what you are guaranteed to have no problems, at least for a few years.

Seriously, you are asking for something that isn't realistic. There is no white paper that will tell you how to do everything. Take your program, design it for what it needs to be used for, and make sure it is designed to scale to a level beyond what you expect is needed.
The specs were agreed upon between the vendor and your company (or else someone screwed up). That is a business decision.
I have a website that will choke at about 5 users, but it works fine for what it is needed. Design appropriately.

--Scott
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2006, 01:02 PM

Don't target your initial code to any particular number of concurrent users, except possibly "more than one." Once you have the app working, if load testing shows that it can't actually handle as many as you need, then go back and optimize.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2006, 09:31 AM

Yes, but still... 25 users seems small.

And I'm not looking for a white paper to tell me everything, I just figured that there was an industry standard (benchmark) for applications.

Thanks,
BD

Forum Links
Forum Rules