Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > N B A

N B A
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 04:32 PM

The 2008 season seems to be a good season for basketball, as opposed to the brawls, cheap fouls, and apathy that have plagued the past several years. So I figured it might be nice to keep a running dialogue throughout the season. I've finally started caring again, after about 6 years of not keeping up with pro basketball.
In other words, this could be Dakar's most oft-visited thread.

I wanted to hear what you guys thought about some of this years' big stories.

1. Are the Celtics for real?

I know they're tied for the greatest 30-game start in league history, but can they sustain it? And does it really matter, since they're playing in the East? I don't see them beating a San Antonio, Phoenix, or even Detroit in the playoffs. Speaking of which...

2. Is Detroit actually the best team in the Eastern Conference?

They're even for the season so far in head-to-head match-ups, but does anyone here think that Boston can beat Detroit in the playoffs when Detroit has the experience and depth that is incredibly important at the end of the year?

3. Is Isaiah Thomas really that big of an idiot?

New Yorkers really hate the guy, but should he be fired today, 3 months from now, 2 years from now, or 7 months ago? He was a really good player on a really good team in the NBA's golden years, but he's proven to be really bad while wearing a suit and tie. Why has he lasted this long?

4. Do you care about the NBA now?

I'm not a fanatic like I was in high school, when I could rattle off the top 10 scoring averages in the league to the decimal, but I'm finally finding myself interested in the NBA again. Things turned sour for me due to the boring post-up and pass/jump hook offensive sets, thug lifestyle, and fights, but now the game seems exciting again. I guess you can thank Phoenix and Dallas for the up-tempo games, but maybe the NBA finally has some star power again.

Hopefully this will get some basketball conversation going.

[EDIT] I forgot that an all-caps thread title isn't allowed, so "NBA" became "Nba," which just looks awful. Could a mod change it to "The NBA" for me?
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jan 7, 2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: All-caps screwup)

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 04:33 PM

All capitals in the title! Geez!

Edit: It was that foul anti-caps thingy that foiled you, wasn't it?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 04:41 PM

1. They're real enough. They're certainly a better team than the Cavs that just went to the Finals. They won't be taking the single season record from the Bulls, though. Them beating San Antonio hinges on their PG match-up. I'm not sure I'd worry about Detroit.

2. Detroit: They're stronger than I had expected (at least lately) but nothing on this team really has me believing they've solved the problems of the past two years. It's still a choke waiting to happen, and I want to see how reliable their bench is once they're in the playoffs.

3. As far as constructing a team, yes. He's a capable coach when you pick the car and give him the keys, but when you give him full reign of lot... good luck. He'll bring a NASCAR to an F1 track.

As for the second part of the question... Dolan has been mentioned as someone who likes to do things his own way. And he knows the moment he fires Isiah, it will be an admission of failure. This is why he didn't want to settle with Saunder out of court.

4. Yes, I still care, even though my teams only nationally televised game of the season just occurred Friday night and I don't have much more to look forward to.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2008, 04:54 PM

1. I think they are real. I don't think Detroit matches up with them as they are a little light in the middle. There is no match up for KG. Allen and Pierce can match up against Bullips and Hamilton easily. San Antonio might be a tough call.

2. Detroit is doing a lot better than I expected, but I don't think they are better than Boston overall.

3. Isiah was great when he was the head in Toronto. The Raptors hadn't done much since then. So he's capable but it just seems New York isn't a fit for him, to me personally. With all the scandals going on and the entire to organization in need of an overhaul, they both need to part and start fresh.

4. Yes, I care as there are a lot of good teams out there than can match up now. There is no clear favorite anymore so this gives us more competition overall. Give me a Pheonix vs. Golden State, game any day. Run and gun, baby!

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 05:05 PM

I think it's safe to say that Steve Nash is mostly responsible for bringing me back to basketball. I just wish he could've stayed in Dallas.

I see you two are Boston believers. No doubt they're good, but I don't know if I'm ready to crown them lord of all just yet. It is nice to see Garnett doing well though; he was loyal to Minnesota through everything. It's also a great thing for the league for Boston to do well. I love older teams coming back into prominence. Part of it's probably nothing more than nostalgia.

I would like to see New York become really good again, just because I love cheering against them. When there's no villain to despise, things are a lot less interesting. When the Bulls played them every year in the playoffs during the Ewing/Starks era, it brought a lot of extra drama into the equation. Even the Pacers/Knicks series drew great ratings simply because we knew they were going to kill each other.

Like you said, exca1ibur, Isaiah is just a really bad fit; I just don't know if it's because of him, the players, or the upper level management. Whatever the case, he shouldn't stay.

Out of curiosity, Dakar...who is your team?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2008, 05:16 PM

College basketball is much more exciting. went to my first college game the other day. really exciting, Pitt was playing Lafayette and Lafayette shot 11/15 3-pointers in the first half.

as for the NBA, the only teams I have ever liked are the Celtics, Bulls, and Pistons. however, I just can't get excited about Pistons playing the Golden Warriors or Celtics playing the Mavericks or whatever. Nowitzki and Nash are awesome but I doubt I can sit through and entire NBA game. you only really need to watch the last 5 minutes anyway.

ps- I love old skool basketball like the Celtics and pistol pete and clyde drexler and larry bird but presentday NBA just seems icky

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2008, 06:20 PM

For the record: I believe Boston has a great team, but I sure as hell won't be cheering for them. LOL

You are right about that, ole' school basketball will always be the best, hands down. Magic, Bird, Drexler, Jordan, Ewing, Malone, Stockon, Wilkins, Kareem, man... Those were the days. Chuck Daly, Pat Riley KC Jones. Those were some great coaches there too.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 06:36 PM

I don't get the whole bit about "old school" basketball, etc. etc. The game's changed a bit because of Jordan, but the talent level's as good as ever and the games are just as exciting as far as I can tell.

I do think the rules on fouling at the end of games needs to be changed. Perhaps 3 foul shots should be awarded in the last minute of games? It just gets very, very painful during tight games.

The Raptors have been choking it up lately...Lebron just went God-like on them yesterday, and Bargnani has been pretty weak. Looking at Brandon Roy makes me wince. Sigh.

As for Isiah...he truly is that much of an idiot. Really. How he still isn't fired is almost as puzzling as how John Ferguson still has a job. Maybe he's just that big of a schmooze?

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I don't get the whole bit about "old school" basketball, etc. etc.
Because then it was the love of the game, not the love of the check. You never heard of holdouts and contract disputes, it was all about titles and championships. That type of mentality isn't in much heard of in any pro sport today. That is the big difference between then and now.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Because then it was the love of the game, not the love of the check. You never heard of holdouts and contract disputes, it was all about titles and championships. That type of mentality isn't in much heard of in any pro sport today. That is the big difference between then and now.
Exactly. The stunning enthusiasm a player puts into his game during a "contract year" is usually followed by a lackluster performance the next season, after his big check is cashed.

I wouldn't say that the old players were disinterested in the money though; Pete Maravich had dreams of being the first basketball player to sign a million-dollar contract (the new biography about him, Pistol is great, BTW). But there was a bit more passion and loyalty to a team and city, even though that's probably due to the lack of free agency.

I do think that basketball's absolute greatest years are behind it, but that doesn't mean that the current game isn't worth watching.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 08:35 PM

Celtics in 4.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 09:13 PM

Not to crash a thread or anything, but sometimes I feel like the NBA is trying to be just an option for those who don't want to watch pro football. Anyone else feel like that?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2008, 10:46 PM

Detroit has been getting stronger over the last several years. They could have the division if they can keep up their pace and enthusiasm.

Even though the Spurs have gotten off to a slow start, I think they're going to be "the team to beat" again this year.

Note: I "fixed" the title. Even I couldn't force it to be simply all-caps; I had to put spaces between the letters (periods did NOT work). This is the price we pay for years of stupids using their Caps Lock without thinking. Stupid Caps Lock users!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2008, 11:11 PM

1. I'm looking forward to seeing the Spurs v. Celtics (sometime in March I think).
2. I haven't followed Detroit much since Ben Wallace left.
3. Yes.
4. I've enjoyed following and learning some about basketball during the last 15 or so years of my life. It's been an emotional roller coaster season to season following San Antonio. With few exceptions, it's been a nice ride, especially when you have the added bonus of having players who exhibit, for he most part, respectful attitudes and character (At least publicly, and I hope privately) and a team effort.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 04:36 AM

Thanks, ghporter. "Nba" was uuuugly.

imitchellg, I'm not sure I get your point. The NBA is trying to be an alternative to the NFL? How, exactly?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Not to crash a thread or anything, but sometimes I feel like the NBA is trying to be just an option for those who don't want to watch pro football. Anyone else feel like that?
For me, it comes after college basketball. The NBA season is too long to pay attention to during college football. After college football, you get the NFL playoffs. At the same time, you get college basketball starting conference play, then you get the complete awesomeness that is the college basketball tournament. Some time after that, the NBA playoffs start and it's time to watch the NBA. Then, you're stuck in summer with nothing to watch. I'm pretty sure baseball is worse than no sports at all. Soon, though, football will start again. So, for me, I'll watch college sports, but I really only watch the pros when it's playoff time. The NBA regular season just really isn't very gripping. Hell, you can make the playoffs with a losing record.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I see you two are Boston believers.
Believers? How so? They've certainly exceeded my expectations thus far, but I am in no way crowning them.

Out of curiosity, Dakar...who is your team?
If you were paying attention you'd know.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 09:13 AM

I'll take this. The only person who it'd be an 'option' for is those who will watch any kind of sport. I watch basketball because I like the mechanics and flow of it.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Note: I "fixed" the title. Even I couldn't force it to be simply all-caps; I had to put spaces between the letters (periods did NOT work). This is the price we pay for years of stupids using their Caps Lock without thinking. Stupid Caps Lock users!
You are a god among men.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
If you were paying attention you'd know.
Re-er!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 12:46 PM

Still can't figure it out? You need to watch more NBA then.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 03:13 PM

CalderĆ³n !!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 03:20 PM

Maybe the right side of his screen was broken.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jan 8, 2008, 03:28 PM

The Celts are at least contenders to take it all, but a few key injuries can alter the whole dynamic of a team. What is amazing is that they are a first year team. Pierce/Allen and Garnett have jelled so quickly, and with the supporting cast doing an outstanding job(Big Baby vs. the Pistons), it's a complete shocker to me. As for being real, I think after 30 games we can begin to think that they truly are for real.

The Pistons are good no doubt a very good team, but by wins and losses, Boston is way out. The Celts have blown out who they should, and lost their 3 games by a mere 9 points (2/5/2). I think it's like comparing the Pats and Indy. (almost).

Isaiah sucks. Didn't like him when he played for Detroit, and now that he's in the forefront of an operation his colors are showing. It seems he can't do a single thing right. Inter office relations, player relations, trades, media, nothing. It's stupifying that ownership would allow it to continue. As a business they are losing fanbase/money directly because of this guy.

Call me fair weather, but I pull up NBA scores daily, whereas before the Celts got it together I would find myself looking back to the good old days. Anyone ever seen the tape of Larry Bird greatest hits? Like Cousy, his blind passes were a thing of beauty. The only time I've felt so amazed at watching an athlete perform his craft was watching the Brady/Moss throw/catches earlier in the season.

It'll still take awhile for me, and I don't think I'll ever be into b-ball like before. Kareem and Magic, Dr.J. and Moses, Isaiah and Laimbeer. It's nice to have the NBA back for me.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by quesera View Post
1. I'm looking forward to seeing the Spurs v. Celtics (sometime in March I think).
I hope so, but the Spurs (though I love 'em) seem a little tired here, lately. Not sure what it is -- maybe they'll get their spark back, and maybe Boston's run is just due to them being in the Eastern Confrence. How would they stack up if they were playing Utah, Denver and Phoenix with any regularity?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 03:43 PM

Calderon, eh? What, are you delighting in the reason why the Raptors are going straight down the tubes?

greg

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 03:53 PM

NBA??? National Badminton Association? Nah. National Broadcasting Association? No, not with names like Celtics etc. Maybe, National Bra Association . . . to keep a hold of all that bouncing.

Just kidding .

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 04:09 PM

Calderon, eh? What, are you delighting in the reason why the Raptors are going straight down the tubes?

greg
C'mon, you put that on Calderon? The guy is doing an admiral job trying to spell Forderon during TJs absence. Blame Bargnani, blame Mitchell, hell, blame Moon for relaxing, but Calderon. Nah.

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
NBA??? National Badminton Association? Nah. National Broadcasting Association? No, not with names like Celtics etc. Maybe, National Bra Association . . . to keep a hold of all that bouncing.

Just kidding .
I hope you have to box out Reggie Evans one day.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 06:36 PM

imitchellg, I'm not sure I get your point. The NBA is trying to be an alternative to the NFL? How, exactly?
It's just how I feel about it. It seems like the NBA tries to replace pro football with more games, more excitement (televising brawls, etc.) and just the way it's ran.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 07:37 PM

C'mon, you put that on Calderon? The guy is doing an admiral job trying to spell Forderon during TJs absence. Blame Bargnani, blame Mitchell, hell, blame Moon for relaxing, but Calderon. Nah.
Ah come on. He's patient and dependable, but he's too patient and dependable. You think slowing things down and playing half-court ball is the way to beat the Pistons? I've never seen a guy slow the game down on the fast break so many times.

Look at the first quarter of the Cavs game ā€“ that was some quick ball movement and some taken risks coming through for them! Come on, too much emphasis on the careful ball-handling here! Check out every other top-tier guard in the league ā€“ there's a reason why their TOs are so high in comparison to Calderon's. At some point he has to start taking the risky pass to keep the defence on its heels. Right now, everyone knows he's not going to do that....

greg

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 07:39 PM

It's just how I feel about it. It seems like the NBA tries to replace pro football with more games, more excitement (televising brawls, etc.) and just the way it's ran.
so....you don't know anything about sports then?

greg

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 08:31 PM

Maybe the right side of his screen was broken.
You know, I'm so used to not really paying attention to your ever-changing sigs because they're usually something like a Futurama reference, so I don't feel quite as stupid as I should.

Okay, actually, I probably do.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 10:46 PM

so....you don't know anything about sports then?

greg
Well, actually that's pretty true. I only really know a lot about football, and a little about basketball and hockey.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 09:22 AM

You're crazy. More games. You think the NBA should go to a 16 game season or something? They've been playing tons of games since the inception. It's not football -- you don't need massive downtime between games.

As for the brawls, the commissioner despises them, so wrong again. He's been handing out overly-heavy-handed suspensions since the Malice at the Palace.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2008, 09:25 AM

That event was BAD for basketball. It's fine when the players are so caught up in the game that they get carried away against the other team's players (look back 20 years or so at the Pistons-Bulls games; if there wasn't blood on the court it was because the big players were on the sidelines healing), but when it washes over the line and into the stands, that's very bad. It also tells the fans that this sort of crap isn't tolerated-and the drunks that precipitated the "Malice at the Palace" incident should have had to do a few weeks time in jail for assaulting the players to start with (in my opinion, of course).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 09:34 AM

Ah come on. He's patient and dependable, but he's too patient and dependable. You think slowing things down and playing half-court ball is the way to beat the Pistons? I've never seen a guy slow the game down on the fast break so many times.
Oh no, you're not one of those... Calderon haters...

Listen, stop and listen to yourself. Too patient, too dependable. I guarantee you if you polled the other 29 GMs in the league , over 20 would take Calderon over their current starting PG. His assist-to-turnover is ludicrous (even after he's started a bunch of games ad started playing heavy minutes), and his decision making is sterling.

If you're biggest problem with him is he's not T.J., well, you shouldn't expect him to be. On a personal note, I prefer a short-coming of not pushing the ball enough on the fast-break over looking for your own shot too much.

Look at the first quarter of the Cavs game ā€“ that was some quick ball movement and some taken risks coming through for them! Come on, too much emphasis on the careful ball-handling here! Check out every other top-tier guard in the league ā€“ there's a reason why their TOs are so high in comparison to Calderon's. At some point he has to start taking the risky pass to keep the defence on its heels. Right now, everyone knows he's not going to do that....

greg
...and you know what, maybe he'll get there. This is his third year in the league, and his first set of games starting. There's still lots of room for growth, and thankfully, the guy talks a lot to his teammate Ford. I think he'll improve yet.

You know, I'm so used to not really paying attention to your ever-changing sigs because they're usually something like a Futurama reference, so I don't feel quite as stupid as I should.
I'm insulted that you don't enjoy seeing my ever changing sigs, and I question how changing colors and shapes don't draw your attention. And for the record my last two sigs, not including my current one, didn't involve Futurama. And your breath is horrible.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 12:18 PM

I haven't seen the Raptors play this year, but I can say that I've seen positive articles all over sports sites about the Calderon, especially this one, where's he is touted as the third-best guard in the East.

So Calderon has been better than anyone else at his position except Billups, and his performance history suggests it's either not a fluke or a very small one. He's on a team with only one other viable scorer and, thanks to his skillful playmaking, has them in the top half of the league in offensive efficiency.

So if, after all this, you think he isn't an All-Star, I have only one question. Other than saying, "He's just not what I think of when I think of an All-Star," what case is there for Jose Calderon not to be an All-Star this year?
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth
I'm insulted that you don't enjoy seeing my ever changing sigs, and I question how changing colors and shapes don't draw your attention. And for the record my last two sigs, not including my current one, didn't involve Futurama. And your breath is horrible.
Yeah, yeah, I know...I lied. I usually see them. And my breath is only bad because I have a sinus infection.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 12:21 PM

I haven't seen the Raptors play this year, but I can say that I've seen positive articles all over sports sites about the Calderon, especially this one, where's he is touted as the third-best guard in the East.
While I hate to rip on a compliment, it's Hollinger, so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 12:39 PM

At this point in the thread, I'd take what I could get if I were you.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 12:41 PM

You know me better than that. With exception to my favorite NBA team.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 03:27 PM

Oh no, you're not one of those... Calderon haters...
Heh heh...actually I love the guy. Great PG, little money invested, and wish Colangelo had pushed to re-negotiate his contract last year when it still wasn't so obvious that he might be a good starter in this league.

Listen, stop and listen to yourself. Too patient, too dependable. I guarantee you if you polled the other 29 GMs in the league , over 20 would take Calderon over their current starting PG. His assist-to-turnover is ludicrous (even after he's started a bunch of games ad started playing heavy minutes), and his decision making is sterling.

If you're biggest problem with him is he's not T.J., well, you shouldn't expect him to be. On a personal note, I prefer a short-coming of not pushing the ball enough on the fast-break over looking for your own shot too much.
All these things are true, but you still didn't address the fact that while his a-to-t ratio is off the charts, every other great PG in the league has far more turnovers.

Calderon takes few risks ā€“ he makes few risky backdoor passes, he makes few attacking fastbreak passes, he makes relatively few penetration-and-kick passes, he makes surprisingly few penetration-and-inside-dish passes. Are these things necessarily bad? Of course not ā€“ but it means that when things aren't going the Raps' way, there's usually not much of an attempt to really push the envelope; and when things are going their way, there's usually not much of an attempt to stomp the pedal right through the floorboards. For more information on these qualities, see: every top-tier PG in the league.

To add to that, I also don't know why a guy shooting 50+% from the floor averages what, 11ppg? His curl-and-shoot is nothing but ace, but that seems to be his quiet bread-and-butter these days. Those trademark drives we saw from him last year haven't been nearly as evident from what I've seen. I'm still unsure if it's because defences have fully adjusted to him as a starting PG, or if he's just choosing not to drive as much? Finally, he's simply a poor defender. He can't stay in front of his man. When Rajon Rondo becomes a scoring threat, you know there's a defensive problem....

In any case, I guess my point is that I think Calderon's great, but he's more of a 1-gear player that worked much better when combined with Ford's better defending and scoring. Similarly, I think Ford's often-manic playmaking and tendency to get into court battles could get out of hand, and Calderon could settle things down nicely. My problem is that I don't see either of them independently becoming a title-winning PG because of those weaknesses...but having two not-title-worthy-but-still-starter-worthy PGs probably isn't affordable. So I dunno.

Having said all this, I'll be honest and say the rest of the team has been playing, well, shitty. Specifically, a slasher is badly needed because NO ONE on this team besides Bosh can get fouled. Seriously, it's ridiculous. Bosh can't be expected to take the kind of punishment needed for 12+ fouls very night, but when he switches to the jumpshot there's no one to get offensive rebounds (because, of course, Bargs is a centre who actually plays from behind the 3-point line...one of those new-fangled centers I guess).

Yeah, I dunno. I haven't been able to watch all the games this year so I'm sure I've missed quite a few things here and there, but that's just what I'm picking up on. I think they need a slasher to keep defences honest considering how many shooters we have. TJ kinda-sorta fills this role when he's on the court, but of course the whole point is to have someone else doing it.

greg

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 03:43 PM

Heh heh...actually I love the guy. Great PG, little money invested, and wish Colangelo had pushed to re-negotiate his contract last year when it still wasn't so obvious that he might be a good starter in this league.
Yeah, I don't know what the thinking there is.

All these things are true, but you still didn't address the fact that while his a-to-t ratio is off the charts, every other great PG in the league has far more turnovers.
I did. I said he's still learning. In essence -- he's risk averse particularly as a starter.

Calderon takes few risks ā€“ he makes few risky backdoor passes, he makes few attacking fastbreak passes, he makes relatively few penetration-and-kick passes, he makes surprisingly few penetration-and-inside-dish passes. Are these things necessarily bad? Of course not ā€“ but it means that when things aren't going the Raps' way, there's usually not much of an attempt to really push the envelope; and when things are going their way, there's usually not much of an attempt to stomp the pedal right through the floorboards. For more information on these qualities, see: every top-tier PG in the league.
This is where we miss T.J. most. Ford is good penetrator.

To add to that, I also don't know why a guy shooting 50+% from the floor averages what, 11ppg? His curl-and-shoot is nothing but ace, but that seems to be his quiet bread-and-butter these days.
He's unselfish. He looks for his shot last or on set plays (like everytime Detroit went under the screen Friday). I do believe that a lot of TJs highest scoring games were losses. Not a coincidence.

Those trademark drives we saw from him last year haven't been nearly as evident from what I've seen. I'm still unsure if it's because defences have fully adjusted to him as a starting PG, or if he's just choosing not to drive as much?
I don't know why, but I'd surmise that with the large increase in minutes he's saving his energy. I believe someone on another board observed that once in the fourth he becomes more aggressive in that area, but I can't verify that.

In any case, I guess my point is that I think Calderon's great, but he's more of a 1-gear player that worked much better when combined with Ford's better defending and scoring. Similarly, I think Ford's often-manic playmaking and tendency to get into court battles could get out of hand, and Calderon could settle things down nicely. My problem is that I don't see either of them independently becoming a title-winning PG because of those weaknesses...but having two not-title-worthy-but-still-starter-worthy PGs probably isn't affordable. So I dunno.
I agree with everything but the last part. They've only been in the league what, 3 and 4 years? If Steve Nash can take it to another level at 30, I have hope for these guys.

Having said all this, I'll be honest and say the rest of the team has been playing, well, shitty. Specifically, a slasher is badly needed because NO ONE on this team besides Bosh can get fouled. Seriously, it's ridiculous. Bosh can't be expected to take the kind of punishment needed for 12+ fouls very night, but when he switches to the jumpshot there's no one to get offensive rebounds (because, of course, Bargs is a centre who actually plays from behind the 3-point line...one of those new-fangled centers I guess).
I believe AP did more slashing last year. As for offensives, I saw a play on Friday that summed up the teams problems. Bosh on the high post/elbow, Bargnani on the opposite side 3 point elbow. Bosh shoots, miss, no offensive rebound. Bargs is not a good rebounder per se, but the team can't get **** with him playing outside (This is where we miss Garbajosa manning the 3).

(BTW, I freakin' loooooved Bargs drive/dunk. And I really wish that Moon? had connected on that no look/spinning pass Bargs delivered to him in the corner on a drive. Wowzers.)

Yeah, I dunno. I haven't been able to watch all the games this year so I'm sure I've missed quite a few things here and there, but that's just what I'm picking up on. I think they need a slasher to keep defences honest considering how many shooters we have. TJ kinda-sorta fills this role when he's on the court, but of course the whole point is to have someone else doing it.
Yeah, I get to see 5 on TV a year (I usually download a few more). Tonight I'll be catching the Philly game (a must-win as far as I'm concerned). It's too bad at this point we're looking to use our trade assets to get a viable third stringer for Jose.

I must say you and I get some quality discussions going.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 09:36 PM

I swear, if Philly gets one more offensive rebound I'm going to punch my roommate in the nose.

greg

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 09:18 AM

As always, Sam's in-game player management leaves something to be desired. I'll take the much needed but not decisive win, though.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 11:53 AM

Second home loss for the Celtics, d'oh !!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 11:54 AM

To the Bobcats. Double D'oh!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 05:58 PM

Is silly season for the Celtics yet or are they too relaxed?, anyone care to explain pleaseā€¦

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 06:03 PM

Ray Allen is being sub-par and it happens to everyone eventually... unless you're the '96 Bulls.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 06:37 PM

Yeah. His percentages are down across the board. I've been wondering whether he's someone who isn't as effective when he's not shooting the ball all the time; he seems to have averaged about 1500 field goals in a 78-game season over the last 5-6 years when he's reached superstar status, but this year he's only at 469 after 33 games, in slightly less (<2) MPG. I mean, with all the attention paid to KG and Pierce, in theory he should be getting much better looks than he's ever had before (he was always "the man" for the Sonics), so unless it's an injury thing or just a general slump I don't see an obvious answer.

The Raptors battle with Portland the other night was awesome. If not for the horrendous officiating and Bargnani's continued general malaise it might truly have been epic. I'm sorry, but unless he starts getting things going a little more I think it'll be fair to say that as a center prospect, the guy's a bust. Since when is anyone thrilled to see a centre manage to pull down 5 rebounds?

greg

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 06:40 PM

Yeah. His percentages are down across the board. I've been wondering whether he's someone who isn't as effective when he's not shooting the ball all the time; he seems to have averaged about 1500 field goals in a 78-game season over the last 5-6 years when he's reached superstar status, but this year he's only at 469 after 33 games, in slightly less (<2) MPG. I mean, with all the attention paid to KG and Pierce, in theory he should be getting much better looks than he's ever had before (he was always "the man" for the Sonics), so unless it's an injury thing or just a general slump I don't see an obvious answer.
I believe the term you're looking for is volume shooter. And I've heard people theorizing our beloved Bargnani may be one of those people.

The Raptors battle with Portland the other night was awesome. If not for the horrendous officiating and Bargnani's continued general malaise it might truly have been epic. I'm sorry, but unless he starts getting things going a little more I think it'll be fair to say that as a center prospect, the guy's a bust. Since when is anyone thrilled to see a centre manage to pull down 5 rebounds?

greg
Personally, I think it's misguided to consider him a center, anymore than you would consider Dirk one. He's a Euroforward. It's painfully obvious where he should be playing, particularly when some of his best games have come when Bosh was injured and he played along side Rasho.

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Jan 15, 2008, 07:44 PM

Wow. No Laker talk yet? My boys are #1 in the West right now. With Bynum out, though, it'll be short lived. After 3 seasons of being a little better than average...they were finally playing very well (less Kobe, more team!). But, alas, they just can't seem to shake the injury bug. They just need to weather the storm for 8 weeks...

Maybe within the next few seasons we'll see a Lakers vs. Celtics Finals redux!

Forum Links
Forum Rules