Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > BOINC download

BOINC download
sokukodo9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2004, 10:36 AM

Went to the SETI site and attempted downloading the BOINC software, but for some reason it won't download ... it just times out. Is there another place that I can get it?
G5 Dual 2.0 Ghz PowerMac, rev A; 640 Gbs hard drive (two drives); 8 Gbs RAM; ATI X800 XT Video card; 20" Cinema Display.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by sokukodo9:
Went to the SETI site and attempted downloading the BOINC software, but for some reason it won't download ... it just times out. Is there another place that I can get it?
Any BOINC project site except predictor, will provide the latest download. Now if you are looking for a Mac version, then check out mikkyo's optimized team clients HERE.

After you download the BOINC core client, and the log in the first time to a project, the BOINC client will download the appropriate project specific application and work units.

sokukodo9  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2004, 11:11 AM

hmm ... all I get is a lot of code.

Welnic
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2004, 11:44 AM

If you are trying to download anything and you just see a lot of gibberish show up in your browser, go back and either Option-click or right-click on the link and select Download linked file as....

sokukodo9  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2004, 03:34 PM

It (BOINC) finally downloaded off the seti website ... now I'm baffled ... I can't get it to work. Is there a walk-through somewhere? the read me in the app didn't seem to do any good.

sokukodo
Sep 29, 2004, 12:01 PM

OK, I went to the altevec optimized application - option click - download good - successfully got it running (finally) from the terminal - although in the terminal set up process I see 4.09 (is that it? I'm at work now, so I can't see), but during the operation, the downloading of WUs, I see that I'm actually running 4.02 and that I should go to the website and update - no way am I gonna do that after all the effort just to get it running - my question now is: as a former user of the classic seti on Team MacNN, am I still a member? will work units still be credited to the team? and where do I check on progress? Thanks in advance ... oh, BTW, about cpu cycles: I'm also Folding proteins for Team Mac OSX, using 3 cores on two CPUs; will this activity affect SETI CPU cycles?
Richard T.
1st generation G5 Dual 2Ghz w/ 8 Gigs of RAM;
ATI Radeon X800 XT
20" Cinema Display

reader50
Administrator
Sep 29, 2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by sokukodo:
... my question now is: as a former user of the classic seti on Team MacNN, am I still a member? will work units still be credited to the team? and where do I check on progress? ...
They carried over the old SETI accounts, but not their credit. Everyone who was on SETI Classic is on MacNN - Boinc too, but starting with zero credit. If you used your old SETI Classic email, then you will be recognized.

For now, checking stats requires checking the SETI site or another 3rd-party stats site. I've been working on BOINC stats (for Predictor) for awhile, they are close. Once they are working, it will be easy to extend them to any other BOINC project.

I'll let one of our BOINC experts address your other questions.

sokukodo
Sep 29, 2004, 01:50 PM

Thank you so much for your response, sir.
Richard T.
1st generation G5 Dual 2Ghz w/ 8 Gigs of RAM;
ATI Radeon X800 XT
20" Cinema Display

Forum Links
Forum Rules