Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Serial ATA pci adapters for OS X?

Serial ATA pci adapters for OS X?
Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 11:36 PM

Does anybody know of any SATA adapters out yet for the Mac?

JB72
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
Does anybody know of any SATA adapters out yet for the Mac?
Not that I know of. I'm not sure what advantage serial ata really provides at the moment.

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2003, 12:48 AM

Serial ATA doesn't provide too much advantage over ATA-133 right now. Serial ATA is currently (IIRC) specced at 150, so its slightly faster.

BIG PLUS: smaller cables

But, the thing with Serial ATA is that it has much larger room to grow that regular ATA, so shortly (ok, a year or two) we'll see much faster drives and much faster controllers that anything ATA is able to do. Its kind of like USB on the original iMacs: not many people use it, but its got lots of potential.

Dan

JB72
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by normyzo:
But, the thing with Serial ATA is that it has much larger room to grow that regular ATA, so shortly (ok, a year or two) we'll see much faster drives and much faster controllers that anything ATA is able to do. Its kind of like USB on the original iMacs: not many people use it, but its got lots of potential.
Smaller cables is nice, plus potentially easier setup.

I think right now the Sata drives are basically like firewire drives, converted. It's yet to be seen if the drives themselves will be able to catch up to 150 potential in the next few years. I hope so. I can see my 970 machine sporting Sata some day.

vasu
Senior User
May 3, 2003, 05:57 AM

lets not forget that they don't have molex power connectors!!!!!@# finally after all these years those bastard connectors will die! die! die!

I want one of those 10,000 RPM, 8mb Cache, Serial ATA, drives from Western Digital. MMMMM

-vasu

Ricci Adams
May 16, 2003, 06:43 PM

In theory, you can use a Serial ATA adapter kit to run the Western Digital Raptor on your Powermac's ATA-100 or ATA-133 controller.

Now, I'm not sure if this works. I received my adapter kit today but there was a shipping problem with the Raptor and I won't get it till Monday

As far as speed, no single hard drive is going to be able to saturate even an ATA-100 controller, so the Raptor should run nice and fast. The only reason Western Digital choose SATA for the Raptor is the hot-swappable feature of SATA.

Anyway, I will let you guys know what happens on Monday

Forum Links
Forum Rules