Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004

Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004
Vi0
Baninated
Oct 11, 2003, 04:39 PM

Does anybody notice that it's really slow and clunky compared to the previous version. How can Macromedia release a product which is worse? Also the new icons are not very nice looking.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 04:44 PM

wait, its even slower and clunkier than MX?!?!?!?!?

jeeeze loise I can't even fathom such a thing.

*goes and downloads demos galore*

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Oct 12, 2003, 02:56 PM

I have gotten to the point that DW is purely a site manager / code editor. Mostly because I just design different than it does, anymore. Just so much as I don't hand break links, etc.

That said, it is such a pain in the arse that when GoLive CS shows up, if it is at all faster and has a decent code editor I am making the jump. The visual CSS editor would probably be more of a benefit for me anyway.

The thing that keeps me with MM is Fireworks anyway. The object oriented environment is much better for we graphics than PS, IMHO.

Maybe I should just give and use PS/IR...

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 03:10 PM

I've installed DW MX 2004 on my new 12" PB and it doesn't seem that much different speedwise than DW MX on my 1ghz TiBook. But I haven't really played around with it too much.

I only use DW for it's code editor. It is the only thing on the Mac that comes close to a PC app I can't live without - Homesite. Sadly, no other app comes close. I don't understand how hard it is to implement auto-tag completion in HTML editors or a file browser window for that matter. Many people use BBedit and I can't understand how they can be efficient with it. Setting a key assignment to close tags slows down coding flow and relying on clicking buttons or pop up menus to get certain things done is completely counterproductive in a text editor.

mfessenden
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2003, 03:24 PM

It's a pity because on Windows MX 2004 is a fantastic upgrade....and very speedy even on sub-1ghz machines. Plus, the PC version has the single-window interface that the Mac lacks.

It's so bad, that even with a G5 I still want to get a cheapo PC to maintain a few of the web sites I manage. Maybe we should all write to Macromedia...

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by mfessenden:
It's a pity because on Windows MX 2004 is a fantastic upgrade....and very speedy even on sub-1ghz machines. Plus, the PC version has the single-window interface that the Mac lacks.

It's so bad, that even with a G5 I still want to get a cheapo PC to maintain a few of the web sites I manage. Maybe we should all write to Macromedia...
I agree, the interface on the Windows version is far superior to the Mac version. Unfortunately, most of my work on computers is web development / design and I find myself still using my PC for that. I would really love to not have to rely on my PC.

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 03:43 PM

I recently got to play with MM MX 2004 on an 700mhz p3 and the performance absolutely blew that of a dual 2ghz G5 out of the water.

The interface is better and my god is it faster. Macromedia really dropped the ball here. There is a technote about Mac performance on their site, but as with all things Macromedia, we will likely have to pay for the upgrade next year.

Horrible.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 04:49 PM

I agree, the PC version is just miles ahead of the Mac one. It's a shame because there's absolutely no reason for it to, just bad programming I think. I've no option but to use it on the Mac since my Pc is purely for running Avid DS; but when I look at my partner using MX on her PC, I lust after it.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2003, 06:38 PM

I heard if you turn off the levels of undo it speed up.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

mishap
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 11:39 PM

The macromedia interface for all the MX products looks so much cleaner in windows and less clunky than osx. I think most designers will prefer the win version. I'm thinking of getting a copy of the win version rather than mac. that is a tough choice.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by MojoRising022:
The interface is better and my god is it faster. Macromedia really dropped the ball here. There is a technote about Mac performance on their site, but as with all things Macromedia, we will likely have to pay for the upgrade next year.
The upgrade will just be yet slower again (on OS X).
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 10:00 AM

It's also still got the annoying MX bug that for some unfathomable reason sets all Dreamweaver palettes to off or hidden after restarting the software.

And Fireworks MX 2004 keeps crashing while accessing the open-/save dialog box.

All in all, the worst upgrade of any software I've ever bought, and also the last I bought from Macromedia in a very, very long time.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by workerbee:
It's also still got the annoying MX bug that for some unfathomable reason sets all Dreamweaver palettes to off or hidden after restarting the software.

All in all, the worst upgrade of any software I've ever bought, and also the last I bought from Macromedia in a very, very long time.
It's also got that other horrible MX bug where it's slow as balls.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Ricci Adams
Oct 14, 2003, 02:40 PM

Luckily, Macromedia accepts returns. I just mailed back my Studio MX 2004 CD and manual. Good riddance!

I will be sticking with Studio MX (the original) for awhile, then slowly moving over to Adobe.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
It's also got that other horrible MX bug where it's slow as balls.
You mean �that other horrible MX 2004 bug...�? MX was never speedy, but MX '04 is just a disgrace.

Too bad DevNet Pro subscriptions cannot be returned.

I'm not one to usually wish for this, but maybe it would be a good thing if Apple simply bought MM, re-installed their Mac coding departement, and fired the Indian company who is subcontracting all OS X ports from the winblows originals.

But then maybe GoLive will turn out quite nicely in its next iteration. Adobe at least still optimizes their apps for OS X.

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2004, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by workerbee:

Is there a fix for the Dreamweaver palettes issue? Every morning I have to re-launch all of my palettes.

Jason

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by jerseyfreeze:
Is there a fix for the Dreamweaver palettes issue? Every morning I have to re-launch all of my palettes.

Jason
Did you apply the updater (http://www.macromedia.com/support/dr..._updaters.html) the thread you bumped is talking about the initial MX2004 release before the updater was published (i. e. Version 7.0 and not the current 7.0.1)!

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Keiretsu:
Did you apply the updater (http://www.macromedia.com/support/dr..._updaters.html) the thread you bumped is talking about the initial MX2004 release before the updater was published (i. e. Version 7.0 and not the current 7.0.1)!
I realize this is an old thread, and after I posted, I downloaded and installed the updater. It seems to have cured the problem.

Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules