Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Web development

Web development
nudnik1972
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 03:14 PM

Hi All,

Just recently got the new G5 IMac (tossed the ugly 'other computer' for the 17", 1.8Ghz w/ 768MB RAM ) and am now interested in starting some design work on my own website (starting from scratch, to be exact).

Was hoping to get some pointers (and real life user opinions) as to what software brings a decent value for it's price.
I've heard/read that 3rd party software can sometimes be iffy - I would like to avoid complications, naturally.

Also, I am a beginner in this and am not going to do any commercial work, so I'm not looking for a price tag of several hundred Dollars ...

Thanks,
Martin
IMac, therefore I am.

17" IMac G5, 1.8Ghz, 80GB HDD, Bluetooth, 768MB RAM

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 04:05 PM

Take a look at Freeway Express, or just use something like TextEdit, the built in editor in OmniWeb or Mozilla, and make use of the various online tutorials (on basic HTML, CSS, etc.)
cpac

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 14, 2004, 04:25 PM

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 05:04 PM

Some commercial apps:

HTML:
Tag

Tag is nice and lightweight and I use it a lot. Has built-in autocomplete for code and also has a live preview pane. Now this might not be what you want if you're new to web design, but its something I recommend for small sites.

CSS:
CSSEdit

This is a powerful CSS editor with 2 styles: code view for those that know CSS and also has a GUI view so you can pick the styles visually without knowing the CSS code. Another recommended app.

Resources:
W3Schools
Zeldman.com
A List Apart

These resources are to get you started with web design and standards support off the bat so you know what is out there what to expect.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2004, 05:24 PM

For HTML editing, I can recommend SubEthaEdit. Very nice colour mark up of code, and preview of what you're doing. It's free for non-commercial use as well!

I can recommend CSSEdit for doing CSS stuff as well
12" Rev B PB

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2004, 06:00 PM

You can look into Nvu. It's a free WYSIWYG editor that looks fairly complete. I haven't used it, I use BBEdit, but found it while looking for a friend. The price is right. When starting out I used a book, Teach Yourself Web Publishing with HTML in 14 Days by Laura Lemay. It comes complete with a CD on tutorials and examples. Mine is a number of years old but she has several new ones on Amazon.com.

I would find sites I liked, view the source, copy that portion I liked and plugged it in to a document and reversed engineered it to meet my needs. I'm sure you'll soon be having a lot of fun.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 06:57 PM

I'd recommend Taco HTML Edit and also CSSEdit.

I learnt from scratch, well really what I did was looked at templates off many sites and moddified my own css file for layout and style, and then use Taco for the content. A handy feature of taco is that you can store your site as a project, which even fancier editors like Tag don't do.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 08:12 PM

I'd recommend two books and subethaedit:

http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/

http://www.zeldman.com/dwws/

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 09:05 PM

Also you can use RapdiWeaver. You can get that from realmacsoftware.com It has a bunch of templates that you can use. Also if you get the Pro beta version you can even do a blog site with rss. Also the developer is pertty responsive to suggestions and ideas.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

nudnik1972  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 09:43 PM

That is great!
Will be looking through all that and I am sure find something suitable.

Thanks for all the help & links

~N
IMac, therefore I am.

17" IMac G5, 1.8Ghz, 80GB HDD, Bluetooth, 768MB RAM

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2004, 03:29 AM

I'll throw my two cents in also.

my favorite editor is skEdit

is has code coloring, code completion (for html and css). and its cheap also! $20

http://www.skti.org/skEdit.php
MBP 1.83

Forum Links
Forum Rules