Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > FFv3 issues

FFv3 issues
cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2009, 10:00 PM

I finally dropped ShapeShifter and updated to FFv3. I've got some major issues with it.

• Although I have the option enabled to open new pages as tabs, they still open as new windows. I want them opening in new tabs, not windows. I know I could just command + click links, but I'd prefer it if this FF feature actually did what it's supposed to do.
• If I get an email or message in Adium that contains a link, clicking the link causes the selected tab in FF to load the link, rather than opening a new tab or window.
• When I try to download something, FFv3 highlights the entire file name, including the file type extension. In FFv2, it would highlight the name, without highlighting the file type extension.
• On some sites, FFv2 would automatically input my password in for certain text fields, which was very handy on gaming forum sites, to do trades. FFv3 fails to do so.

How do I fix these?

Other than a slight increase of page load time, FFv3 seems to be more like a downgrade, than an upgrade.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2009, 03:04 AM

Sorry about the double post, but I'm not currently home. I'm using my brother's computer and noticed that none of the above issues are happening with his FFv3.

I'm in hopes someone can shed some light on this. As of right now, my only thought is possibly trashing the prefs, to see if that fixes it.

Cold Warrior
Mar 7, 2009, 01:17 PM

Backup/export your bookmarks and trash your Firefox profile not just prefs. The profile folder is in ~/Library/App Support/Firefox/Profiles

~ = your user's home folder.

This will also remove any extensions, themes, and saved passwords, but it gets firefox back to 'factory default' and helps troubleshoot.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2009, 11:17 PM

Just to confirm before I try that, I go to:

Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks

Then the odd looking star drop down menu, I select "Backup..."

Then to re-import the bookmarks, do I go to the same menu and go to "Restore" and choose the backup I saved?

Curiosity
Senior User
Mar 8, 2009, 02:53 AM

You know what? Starting with FF v.3.0.6, Shapeshifter no longer makes Firefox crash.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2009, 02:57 AM

Oh? Well that's tempting, to switch back to SS, but I think I want to give a try at modding the Extras.rsrc file, so I can do without SS.

Also, another reason, besides FFv3, for ditching SS was so I can apply app mods. With SS, the modded apps would be a mess of elements.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2009, 02:17 AM

I trashed both the prefs and my profile, but all those issues I have with it remained.

Forum Links
Forum Rules