Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox issues

Firefox issues
cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2010, 01:30 AM

I've been having some FF issues for months. Asked this on other Mac community sites, but get no replies. Maybe someone here can help.

I have 2 Macs.

iMac G4 800MHz - OS X 10.4.11 - FF v3.6.3
PowerBook G4 667MHz - OS X 10.4.11 - FF v3.6.3

Issue 1:
Anyway, FF v3.x fixed it's incompatibility with Shapeshifter. However, when they added the personas feature, which I hate, all my bookmark menus and context menus lost their backgrounds. Either menu loads, but just text and the menu separators. No backgrounds. I've tried dealing with this issue, but it's annoying. Any thoughts? This is happening on both of my computers.

Issue 2:
The iMac can use/preview persona themes fine. On the PowerBook, they don't work so well. The PowerBook's FF never themes the navigation bar. I haven't found any options or reasons as to why it's like this and the persona team has yet to answer me on this.

Issue 3:
This isn't so much an issue... just something odd I noticed. The iMac FF preferences comes down from between the title bar and navigation bar, not in it's own window. On the PowerBook, the preferences for FF is in it's own window.

I've already tried trashing preference files, rebooting, trashing & re-installing FF and... well that's pretty much all I can think of for trying to fix the issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Kingmeyya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2010, 12:25 AM

For me downloads do not start have to force them with data one click

Curiosity
Senior User
May 16, 2010, 01:47 AM

I had that same problem with the pulldown menus being transparent, starting with Firefox 3.0, using Shapeshifter with the default theme. I do not like the default theme, and am using themes which set the background colours for all the dialog boxes and menus to specified colours (such as red or #FF0000) or background images. With things set up like that rather than using system colours, I find the menus have opaque backgrounds as before.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2010, 08:02 AM

Turn off Shapeshifter, do your problems go away?

Curiosity
Senior User
May 17, 2010, 01:40 AM

I did not want to turn off Shapeshifter. If I excluded Firefox from being handled by Shapeshifter, the transparency problem goes away, but the menu bar looks weird. I prefer to use third party themes, anyway, so it is not a big problem.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2010, 02:23 PM

You don't have to turn it off permanently... just for testing, but if you're happy with the way it is, that's fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules