Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Is anybody doing the SiriProxy + Spire thing?

Is anybody doing the SiriProxy + Spire thing?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2012, 06:09 PM

I'm just wondering if anybody is running SiriProxy on their own server to use with Spire? I'm wondering how aggressive Apple is about blocking SiriProxy IP addresses, as well as how well this combination of technologies has worked for you?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2012, 06:42 PM

I am still waiting for 4S people to come in here and say they are really comfortable with Siri and find it useful.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2012, 06:49 PM

Yeah, there's that too... Has Siri really changed your phone usage, 4S dudes?

Cold Warrior
Jan 22, 2012, 08:10 PM

Not substantially, but some. I'm a frequent text to speech user. It's great for sms and email input. I've used Siri a bit to see what it can do, but it hasn't truly changed how I use iPhone.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2012, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
I am still waiting for 4S people to come in here and say they are really comfortable with Siri and find it useful.
I find Siri very useful when driving using a wired headset and mic (extraneous noise seriously compromises Siri usage). Also Siri has steps to evolve: currently it finds all the local Starbucks in seconds, but then one must use the display. Turn-by-turn voice directions and interpretation of the direction one is going should be one next step along with smoothing out other usages.

Clearly from an AI standpoint Siri has a long way to go, but also clearly Siri is going in the right direction. My sense using Siri a lot is that the big bottleneck so far is the limitations of cloud access. As 4G and stronger connections become established IMO we will see Siri become really meaningful.

Also the Siri back end seems to overload a bit too often. Siri will not be really viable until that ceases.

Another issue is the slow personal learning curves of not that many people really going after pushing Siri due to its current limitations (noise, 3G, the cloud). E.g. when half the time a Siri task fails folks get discouraged. As those issues become less limiting (IMO H2 2012) we will see a major ramp up of Siri usage.

The speech recognition module of Siri is the obviously-visible front end, but folks who see Siri as simple speech recognition totally do not get it.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jan 23, 2012 at 01:03 AM. )

-Q-
Jan 25, 2012, 10:55 AM

It hasn't "changed my life" but it certainly has changed how I use my phone. I'm definitely safer in the car due to no longer trying to read or respond to messages and a bit more organized as setting reminders is really easy.

I do find Siri to be unavailable more often than I'd like.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2012, 02:53 PM

I read somewhere That avegare 4s users used it around 300 times since they got it in October, but I can't remember where

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2012, 07:21 PM

I never use it. I should probably try dictating text msgs instead of typing them.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2012, 04:00 PM

It is often said that the break-in period for using your product features is a few months, and a few months have passed since early adopters adopted a 4S.

Do you use Siri?

If you could take it back, along with your signature on the 2-year contract, would you? (assuming there will be an iPhone 5 in te future)

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Do you use Siri?

If you could take it back, along with your signature on the 2-year contract, would you? (assuming there will be an iPhone 5 in te future)
I ultimately would, but more because the battery blows ponies.

I rarely use Siri but I use dictation when I remember to.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 26, 2012 at 08:32 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules