Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > VMWare Fusion 3 Networking Problem

VMWare Fusion 3 Networking Problem
cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2011, 09:27 AM

I've been using VMWare Fusion 3.1.2 and earlier versions with no problems but recently my Windows Vista can't connect to the Internet. As a matter of fact, it can't see my router at 192.168.1.1. Of course, the Mac side networking works. I've disconnected then reconnected the NIC via VMWare's networking prefs with no change, tried ipconfig /renew in a CMD window with no change, changed networking from Bridged (Autodetect) to NAT to Bridged (Ethernet 1) with no change. Windows Vista has tried to help with it's useless wizards. I didn't install anything in Windows but I did install Parallels 6 to see if the speed boost would be worth it (and told it to make a copy of my VMWare virtual drive, but it copies it, not converts it).

Networking works fine after a restart but fails when I return to Windows after I've paused it via VMWare's menu which tells me this is a problem with the VMWare. I find it interesting the problems began after I installed (and subsequently uninstalled) Parallels. Coincidence I hope

I've reinstalled VMWare Tools also with no change and when I run the VMWare resume script via VMWare's program in the notification area it sits there stuck on stupid (does nothing).

Does anyone have a fix for this or any idea of what I can try? Thanks.

Cold Warrior
Mar 28, 2011, 07:56 PM

Try resetting your tcp ip stack in Vista.

Click on Start button.
Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
Type netsh int ip reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
Restart the computer.

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2011, 06:56 PM

I had problems again with the Windows networking but this time I also saw the problem on my Mac so I swapped to the second ethernet port and think that may have cleared it up. I hope so... I'll wait a bit and if the problem returns I'll try Cold Warrior's suggestion. Thanks.

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2011, 07:27 PM

Didn't fix it. Must've been a problem with FIOS at that time. I'll do what Cold Warrior suggested...ugh.

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2011, 06:33 PM

Once I restored Windows from its paused state in VMWares Fusion networking did not work. It worked when it went to pause (because I just restarted) but not after it restored from pause. So annoying...I don't have these problems w/ Linux in VMWare...

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2011, 09:26 AM

Think I finally found the cause for my problems: I went into the Windows 0Device Manager and selected the Network Adapter. In the Network Connection Properties window for the Intel NIC I deselected the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option. Seems to have worked. My morale is now soaring

( Last edited by cgc; Jun 25, 2011 at 08:28 AM. )

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2011, 06:09 PM

The actions above didn't fix it as the problem has resurfaced. I'm going to uninstall NIS 2010 and see what happens.

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2011, 02:53 PM

Well Norton Internet Security 2010 wasn't the culprit but I looked around some more and read there may be issues w/ IPV6 being enabled so I disabled IPv6 and the NIC came right up. I did this via Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Manage Network Connections --> Right click on the NIC and select Properties --> unselect IPv6 --> Cross fingers

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2011, 07:35 PM

Son of a monkey...networking still doesn't work consistently/reliably after the virtual machine wakes from sleep. I give up, Windows finally broke me down. Looks like I have to restart VMWare Fusion and never put the virtual machine to sleep. Prolly a problem/bug with VMWare as I reinstalled Windows, OSX networking works on the same machine, and I can't even ping my router in VMWare. Of course everything works perfectly using a Linux Distro in VMWare...GRRR.

Forum Links
Forum Rules