Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The official Lion thread™

The official Lion thread™ (Page 2)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
It took quite some time to install, but it runs smoothly. I have the sneaking suspicion the install of Xcode hands yet again, but other than that, I haven't encountered any problems. The new iTunes seems to use up a lot less resources while playing (1~3 % when playing musing and ~11 % instead of 20 % when playing videos).

I have to wrap my head around Mission Control, most operations are quite easy, but `peaking' doesn't come naturally to me yet. I've permanently activated the scroll bars since TextMate doesn't work with the hidden scroll bars. Perhaps TextMate 2.0 will solve this issue

I'm trying to get used to the `reversed/natural' scrolling. I'll give it a week. Yesterday, it drove me batty, but today I already have less trouble.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing, but it looks like there are several apps that don't support the "only show scrollbars on scroll attempt" thing, e.g. Chrome.

I'm not sure I like this feature anyway. What is supposed to otherwise provide cues that the document is scrollable without attempting to scroll? I guess Apple figures that with the trackpad gestures that this is easy to do, and they are right, but still the scrollbars also provide useful feedback such as the approximate length of the document, and they don't consume a whole lot of space.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2011, 05:36 AM

Right now a lot of things feel a little disjoint...

- The scrollbar inconsistency from app to app
- The new document zoom animation inconsistency from app to app
- The lack of icon to get out of full screen mode inconsistency from app to app

I hope that in most cases simply recompiling some of these Objective-C apps will be all that is needed to bring about some consistency.

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2011, 06:51 AM

Every time i quit Safari and relaunch, it goes to the last website i was last viewing (and doesn't go to my homepage).
Quiet annoying!

How do i turn this off?
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing, but it looks like there are several apps that don't support the "only show scrollbars on scroll attempt" thing, e.g. Chrome.
I need the scroll bars for navigation: in order to be able to tell where I am in a long text document, for instance, I need to see the position and size of the scroll bar. TextMate's incompatibility with hidden scroll bars (what a surprise, 1.5 was released with Tiger, I think) is only icing on the cake.
I'm not sure I like this feature anyway.
I would be upset if I couldn't change the behavior in the Sys Prefs.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
Every time i quit Safari and relaunch, it goes to the last website i was last viewing (and doesn't go to my homepage). ... How do i turn this off?
You go to the Sys Prefs > General and deselect `Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps'. This is a global preference, though.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2011, 08:15 AM

Question for someone helpful to answer: Did they fix Preview?

What I'm referring to is, in 10.6, no matter what you did, it would always open to the Select Tool by default, even if you opened a new document after using the Move Tool. It's maddening.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 09:18 AM

Why would you want the move tool as default? Thats what trackpads and magic mice are for.
Not having the select tool as default annoyed me a few years/versions ago.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Why would you want the move tool as default? Thats what trackpads and magic mice are for.
Not having the select tool as default annoyed me a few years/versions ago.
Not helpful.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 09:25 AM

Still, his questions are valid. The move tool is generally unnecessary unless you have a conventional mouse. Otherwise, you're scrolling around with your fingers on a trackpad or touch mouse.

I looks like there is no way to set a default tool. But the move tool is always just one keyboard shortcut away (cmd-1).

Thorzdad
Jul 21, 2011, 09:31 AM

I ran across a link to this compatibility table being put-together for Lion, in case anyone's interested. They're soliciting public input. From doing a quick look, it seems there can be a difference in how some apps work in Lion depending on whether you do a clean install, or an in-place upgrade.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Still, his questions are valid. The move tool is generally unnecessary unless you have a conventional mouse. Otherwise, you're scrolling around with your fingers on a trackpad or touch mouse.

I looks like there is no way to set a default tool. But the move tool is always just one keyboard shortcut away (cmd-1).
Open Picture
Command 1
Open Picture
Command 1
Open Picture
Command 1
Open Picture
Command 1
Open Picture
Command 1

I mean, it resets for every freaking picture. In the time I've been in OS X (almost 10 years?) I can count the amount of the times I've used the Select Tool on one hand.

Speaking of one hand, if I'm just casually browsing some photos I usually don't even have my left hand on the keyboard.

Edit: Thanks for the info, however.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 10:26 AM

It seems all you can do is to submit feedback about it.

I wonder if there is any value, string, whatever inside com.apple.Preview.plist file that might let you modify the default Preview tool. :/

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
It seems all you can do is to submit feedback about it.

I wonder if there is any value, string, whatever inside com.apple.Preview.plist file that might let you modify the default Preview tool. :/
Yeah, I'm familiar with that page.

If two years of complaints didn't manifest in a change for the new OS, I don't see it ever happening.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 21, 2011, 11:12 AM

Alright after reading all the Lion threads on two Mac sites and searching the internet, I still haven't seen an answer to my questions:

[1] What if my download doesn't complete, or I get disconnected? Will I have to pay $29 again to re-download? Will I have to start from the beginning all over again?

[2] If I need to reinstall Lion later on (in case something happens and I need to reinstall the OS), then do I need to reinstall Snow Leopard first and then Lion, or can I just go right on with Lion? Do I need to pay the $29 again?

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Alright after reading all the Lion threads on two Mac sites and searching the internet, I still haven't seen an answer to my questions:

[1] What if my download doesn't complete, or I get disconnected? Will I have to pay $29 again to re-download? Will I have to start from the beginning all over again?

[2] If I need to reinstall Lion later on (in case something happens and I need to reinstall the OS), then do I need to reinstall Snow Leopard first and then Lion, or can I just go right on with Lion? Do I need to pay the $29 again?
1. Nope. Click Buy and it's yours to install on all your Macs. Once I logged in my other computer to the store, the button didn't say "buy" anymore, it said "install."

2. You don't pay again, but what to do in case of a system crash is a really, really excellent question.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 11:34 AM

Okay, I've got to say, after working with the new Mission Control system all morning:

I frickin' love it.

I wish I could manage/move the spaces and label them, but boy is the core dynamic great. For power users, it's a really perfect marriage between expose and spaces. I never could adopt to using spaces, but used the heck out of expose. This combination is AWESOME. Good work, Apple, now just give us a little more control in the next patch and we'll be perfect.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 11:34 AM

You have to have a Snow Leopard install to hand in order to install Lion by all accounts. It doesn't have to be on the same disk, but it has to be there as I understand it.

As for an incomplete download, no idea. I wouldn't fancy finding out either to be quite honest. Sounds like a pain in the butt and probably involves calling Apple to get it dealt with.

Dakar, you still haven't said why you can't just scroll. Whether you like my initial response or not I guarantee you thats why Apple did it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

-Q-
Jul 21, 2011, 11:39 AM

1) App Store>Store>Check for Unfinished Downloads

2) OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2011, 11:42 AM

You can pause and resume downloads, so if it crashed or lost connection you could probably resume the download from where it was.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 21, 2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
1) App Store>Store>Check for Unfinished Downloads

2) OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery
Ooo! Ooo! Ooo!

Install OS X Lion

If you completed your installation of OS X Lion, your installer may have been removed after your successful first login to OS X Lion. Mac App Store's Purchases page should show Install Mac OS X Lion as being "Installed", and disallow its download, when viewed from a computer running OS X Lion.

To redownload the installer on a computer running OS X Lion, press and hold the Option key while you click the Purchases tab. If the button to the right of the Install Mac OS X Lion item doesn't change to "Install" and allow you to download Lion, use Spotlight to search for "Install Mac OS X Lion" on your computer.

Launch the Install Mac OS X Lion installer you downloaded from Mac App Store. The installer should be in the /Applications folder.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Lion installation. Be sure you install Lion on the external storage device you've connected for this purpose, not your computer's boot drive.
When installation to your external device is complete, you can re-run Install Mac OS X Lion installer and upgrade the boot drive of your computer. A Recovery HD will likely not be created, but if you need to reinstall or repair your boot drive at a later date, you can connect the external drive you just prepared and hold cmd-r while restarting computer in order to boot from the external Recovery HD.
Please note that Recovery HD must be present on your computer's startup volume to use FileVault 2 (not an external Recovery HD).
edit: Just tried this, after entering my Apple ID and password, got an error "There was an error in the App Store. Please try again later. (1)"

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 21, 2011, 03:09 PM

Where did the Lion install app go after installation? I'm glad I burned DVD of the disk image in the app before I installed.

Mission control is great. It took a while for me to get used to it but the integration of spaces and expose is more intuitive and easier to manage. I do wish there was a way to reorder the spaces. I also wish there was a way to customize Launchpad. I don't want EVERY app on my computer to show up there. This release is definitely geared towards a better user experience. The reversed scrolling drove me nuts the first few hours but now it seems more intuitive and natural. Apple really worked on the fit & finish in this release and I, personally, prefer the grayscale icons and controls in certain apps over the brightly colored ones. The gaudy UI of 10.0 has evolved nicely and usability is much improved. I hope 3rd parties get onboard the Lion train and update their apps (I'm looking at you Adobe), because the apps that are upgraded for Lion compatibility work beautifully in this new workspace.
Who'sDaMac?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 03:49 PM

Love it.
Love it.
Love it.

Full screen, new scrolling, and the swipes. Glad I have a touchpad and magic mouse.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by I'mDaMac View Post
Where did the Lion install app go after installation? I'm glad I burned DVD of the disk image in the app before I installed.

Mission control is great. It took a while for me to get used to it but the integration of spaces and expose is more intuitive and easier to manage. I do wish there was a way to reorder the spaces. I also wish there was a way to customize Launchpad. I don't want EVERY app on my computer to show up there. This release is definitely geared towards a better user experience. The reversed scrolling drove me nuts the first few hours but now it seems more intuitive and natural. Apple really worked on the fit & finish in this release and I, personally, prefer the grayscale icons and controls in certain apps over the brightly colored ones. The gaudy UI of 10.0 has evolved nicely and usability is much improved. I hope 3rd parties get onboard the Lion train and update their apps (I'm looking at you Adobe), because the apps that are upgraded for Lion compatibility work beautifully in this new workspace.
i was crying about Launchpad too...just drag an item on another, and you can make a folder. i moved all my "extra" apps to a few folders, on the second page of apps, so all my primary apps are nicely organized on the default page. woohoo! (now if we could just organize Spaces...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 21, 2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
i was crying about Launchpad too...just drag an item on another, and you can make a folder. i moved all my "extra" apps to a few folders, on the second page of apps, so all my primary apps are nicely organized on the default page. woohoo! (now if we could just organize Spaces...)
Yeah, I thought about that as a solution but it's gonna take me ages to organize ALL my apps. It's welcome though since I have missed being able to organize my apps in a "launch" folder since Classic Mac OS.
Who'sDaMac?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2011, 04:37 PM

What has stopped you from making a custom app folder up until this point?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

hart
Senior User
Jul 21, 2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
You have to have a Snow Leopard install to hand in order to install Lion by all accounts. It doesn't have to be on the same disk, but it has to be there as I understand it.
In all computers or just the one accessing the store? If you're installing on multiple computers.

hart
Senior User
Jul 21, 2011, 06:02 PM

Why would they choose to hide the library folder? I know Apple is all for simplification and removing it from the sidebar I can understand. But automatically making it hidden?! In my experience you have to access the library fairly often. I'm going to have to go through our 5 house computers and change this just so everyone can play with their Minecraft data. It's also one of the top points in the Adobe "known issues" as a variety of things from Adobe are stashed there.

Is the system library also hidden?

Unfortunately, Autodesk Maya has known issues so I won't be upgrading for now. Maybe I'll upgrade the kids and use them as guinea pigs.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 21, 2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Because 1) I didn't want to file away apps into separate folders in the Applications folder because updating some programs would require pointing to where the app resided, 2) I didn't want to make a folder with a bunch of aliases in it, and 3) I didn't want to use any 3rd party utility.
Who'sDaMac?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2011, 06:17 PM

There are a select few apps that broke when updated if they were moved from the root Application folder.

I know, it shouldn't happen, but it did.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 21, 2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by I'mDaMac View Post
It gets deleted upon reboot. My sister is coming over this weekend so I can install Lion for her, I'll save a backup then.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 08:19 PM

I stayed away from custom app folders until Leopard, because I got nailed a few times in the early days of Mac OS X. Specifically, if you moved an Apple app, it would get screwed up the system update process, leaving you with two defective apps.

When Stacks debuted, I decided to try a bunch of custom app folders and put them in the Dock. Now I've got Apps, Utilities, other Apps, other Utilities, video utilities, web utilities, and Games (with several game subfolders). I don't put 3rd party apps in the default Apple application or utilities folders. This system has worked so well for me that Launchpad really seems like reinventing the wheel with square edges.

BTW, have there been any improvements to Stacks in Lion?
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Jul 21, 2011 at 09:26 PM. )

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 08:26 PM

One thing taken from iOS which I hate on a real computer is the "cheating" going on at launch. When you boot up, log back in or fast user switch, you sometimes see what is essentially a screen cap of your desktop. It looks ready, but nothing is clickable. You can click and click on iTunes or try to select a menu item and... Nothing. Until the system is ready. And there's no feedback. Sometimes it's just a few seconds. On my aging iMac Core 2 Duo though, it can be 10 or 15 seconds sometimes, even with max RAM.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
One thing taken from iOS which I hate on a real computer is the "cheating" going on at launch. When you boot up, log back in or fast user switch, you sometimes see what is essentially a screen cap of your desktop. It looks ready, but nothing is clickable. You can click and click on iTunes or try to select a menu item and... Nothing. Until the system is ready. And there's no feedback. Sometimes it's just a few seconds. On my aging iMac Core 2 Duo though, it can be 10 or 15 seconds sometimes, even with max RAM.
Yeah, I can't believe this stupid "feature" actually shipped.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 09:43 PM

So what would be smarter? A blank screen while the app loads? Honestly, it doesn't bother me.

I'm surprised there are so many complaints here about the features that are specifically designed for laptops/trackpads. When Apple demoed Lion in June they clearly stated that many of these features were for laptops. If they don't work on your desktop, turn them off or don't use them.

Overall I like the changes. Mission Control is probably worth the price alone, and I love switching between Safari pages with gestures. I may never use tabs again.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 09:49 PM

The new Downloads pop-up option with the progress bar set in the button in Safari is fantastic. The damned downloads window in the old version was one of my pet peeves and this is a huge improvement.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
So what would be smarter? A blank screen while the app loads? Honestly, it doesn't bother me.
Why not just have it work the way it worked before? For instance, if you set iTunes to load on boot, it would load the same way as if you clicked on it in the Dock.

Or at least provide some kind of feedback that your machine isn't ready to be used yet. Pasting an inert png in your face pretending to be your apps is just obnoxious.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
The new Downloads pop-up option with the progress bar set in the button in Safari is fantastic. The damned downloads window in the old version was one of my pet peeves and this is a huge improvement.
LOL. I had to go launch Safari and download something just to see what you were talking about.

it IS cool, but I still can't adjust back to Safari from Chrome. The sticking point for me is the two windows. Chrome's single window makes so much more sense to me now that I can't go back!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 04:47 AM

Do you mean the address bar and search bar text boxes? That caught me out at first after being used to the combined text bar in chrome .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2011, 05:00 AM

I'm not sure I like this feature anyway. What is supposed to otherwise provide cues that the document is scrollable without attempting to scroll? I guess Apple figures that with the trackpad gestures that this is easy to do, and they are right, but still the scrollbars also provide useful feedback such as the approximate length of the document, and they don't consume a whole lot of space.
You can turn on permanent scrollbars, can't you? I'm pretty sure you could in the developer preview.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 08:21 AM

Is it just me or have we lost auto-scroll when dragging items in list view in the Finder?
See this video for a demo

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2011, 09:28 AM

So far I love it. Mission Control already feels natural to me.

I even like the look of iCal. (jury is out on the address book)

Also, I don't know if Safari's "reader" mode is Apple's idea or if they were "inspired" by someone else but it's genius.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Do you mean the address bar and search bar text boxes? That caught me out at first after being used to the combined text bar in chrome .
Yeah, once you're used to it, the combined window feels so intuitive.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2011, 11:52 AM

I was able to make a bootable Lion install flash drive using the following steps:

- Option-click the "Purchased" tab within the App Store
- Click "INSTALL" and let it download
- Once downloaded, open the Applications folder, find "Install Mac OS X Lion," right-click, "Show Package Contents"
- Navigate to Contents > SharedSupport and find "InstallESD.dmg," mount it.
- Connect a flash drive, 4GB might work, I used 8GB
- Open Disk Utility, then erase and format the flash drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
- If the InstallESD.dmg image doesn't already appear in the left column within Disk Utility, locate it in the finder and drag it into Disk Utility
- Highlight it, then click the "Restore" tab
- Drag the mounted image under InstallESD.dmg into the "Source" field
- Drag the mounted image under your flash drive into the "Destination" field
- Click "Restore"

That's what worked for me. I was able to select my flash drive from within the Startup Disk pref pane and my C2D Mini booted from the flash drive into OS X Utilities.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2011, 12:45 PM

I've been trying to figure out the simplest way to get Lion installed on my MBA and my partner's Mac mini. I don't want to have to download the whole thing twice.

If I use Laminar's method above to create a bootable flash drive (after downloading Lion on my MBA) I should be able to upgrade my partner's mini to Lion? I want to make sure I don't mess anything up.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 01:03 PM

That will work or you can just copy the installer to another Mac.
Vandelay Industries

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
That will work or you can just copy the installer to another Mac.
Duh... didn't even think of that.

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Duh... didn't even think of that.
Just make sure to copy BEFORE you install since it gets deleted. I zipped it just to have a backup.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 03:08 PM

You can download it again if need be.
Vandelay Industries

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 03:26 PM

dprb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2011, 03:43 PM

I snail mailed this to Steve Jobs: I am TICKED!

I have been a loyal Apple supporter/user/shareholder since the beginning. I still have a working Mac SE/30 to run a piece of indispensable software that requires the former. I upgrade regularly and buy new Mac often - currently a 21.5" iMac 8 GB 1 TB HD with 3.6 GHz i5 CPu and 15" Mac book Pro with 500 GB HD and also 2TB Time Capsule. Still working are a G4 iBook and G4 Desktop.

I cannot LIVE without Quicken 2007. I have put up with Intuit's windoze preference, since current features are adequate. Quicken Essentials is a CROCK! and iBank is still a work in progress when it comes to reporting. I have finances in multiple countries and a complex tax return. I HATE WINDOZE and will NEVER RUN it on my Mac - I ran a large DOS network for many years ("a departmental "cloud"). I know Windoze shortcomings well and it is JUST NOT COOL! And I was in computing 30 years before Apple was born!

Since you are killing Rosetta with OS X Lion and thus Quicken 2007, I WILL NOT upgrade and will delay buying my usual new Macs for some years - both our loss. Shame! As a shareholder I would expect you to treat your users better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules