Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Tapatalk - NO

Tapatalk - NO
ghporter
Administrator
Jun 18, 2017, 07:11 PM

Is there any way to tell either iOS Safari or iOS Chrome to not offer Tapatalk EVERY time I visit a new forum site?

There are elebenty billion and five discussion forums on every subject imaginable (and some I had never imagined!), and most of them want me to use Tapatalk. I'm not "joining" these sites, mind you, just visiting them because Google says that my search subject may be found on that forum...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2017, 07:54 PM

Other than uninstalling Tapatalk? Be happy it doesn't ask me when you logon to maccnn.
( Last edited by Chongo; Jun 18, 2017 at 08:23 PM. )
45/47

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jun 19, 2017, 08:51 PM

But I don't have Tapatalk installed. These sites prompt me to get it from the App Store.

While most such sites remember (for a while) that I've said no to Tapatalk, some don't care and ask you every stinkin' time. When you're researching something that has plenty of discussion forum traffic, and using your iPad, these "browse faster with Tapatalk!" things get to be really annoying.

Thorzdad
Jun 20, 2017, 06:01 PM

Did you install anything just prior to this happening?
Have you tried a hard reset?

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2017, 01:27 PM

kill cookies ?

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jun 21, 2017, 06:03 PM

It has always happened for me, when I visit a forum that supports Tapatalk. I get a banner that offers the iOS Tapatalk app, and/or I get a pop up window that says "XYZ site is faster with Tapatalk - Download Now?" and offers a Cancel and OK button - OK takes you to Tapatalk on the App Store.

Here's an example: in iOS with Google Chrome, go to Tapatalk Support Forum. You should get the pop up that suggests you download the app.

Thorzdad
Jun 21, 2017, 08:14 PM

You get the same popup in Safari, too. But, that's the first time I've ever seen it anywhere.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2017, 01:22 AM

I've definitely seen it, but for me it then puts itself to sleep on that site for awhile.

Forum Links
Forum Rules