Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > screen marks under warranty?

screen marks under warranty?
scott brown
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2003, 04:53 PM

forgive me if this has been covered many times already, but if an ibook that's 2 months old and has has been treated well has horrible marks on the screen from the keys, is there anything i can do? this shouldn't be a "normal" thing. would it be covered under warranty?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2003, 06:38 PM

Scott,

I'm sorry to hear about the marks on your screen. I don't think that would be covered by the warranty since it's more of care issue.

Personally, I spent $15 and bought a leather screen protector for that very reason. They work well and if you get one now, you may prevent the screen from getting worse.

Other people use pieces of paper, swiffer cloths, or even the foam piece that ships with the iBook. Put it on top of the keys before you close the lid.

Chris

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2003, 10:39 PM

i dont even think my keys touch my screen
but the ends of the ibook where the little rubber thingys are dont touch either, i think its kinda weird
cause where the lock is it touches fine
w3rd..
surrey represent

chrstopher
Feb 8, 2003, 06:43 PM

As this is a cosmetic issue you are going to be fobbed off by Apple as it does not affect the functionality of the laptop, as the other poster's suggested get something to lay atop the keyboard during your travels y'know the bit of 'foam paper?' that it was packed with when you recieived it thats what I did and I have no marks on my screen (Nov 2001 iBook).

kerm2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 07:33 PM

i have exactly the same problem, and i contacted apple and they said to just use the foam that came with the ibook as christopher said.

its a shame really, bad design issue!

scott brown  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2003, 07:59 PM

using the foam is fine, but it doesn't get rid of the marks that are already there...

rlotz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 04:09 AM

The keyboard marks have simply been a fact of life with every laptop I've owned or used. My dell had it much worse than my new 800Mhz 12" iBook. I picked up a bottle of iKlear from the local Apple reseller and it seems to do a wonderful job of getting all the marks off my screen.

I recommend the spray bottle with reusable (washable) cloths. They'll go farther and save you from throwing away a bunch of single use packages.

You can find iKlear in most Apple stores or the online store. Look under "etc..."

iExcel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 02:15 PM

When I got those screen marks on my ibook, it thought it would stay on my screen permanently but when I bought the "Notebook Screen Cleaner" at CompUSA worked amazingly well in getting rid of screen marks on my ibook. And it's under $6.00.

Now my ibook's screen is as good as new!

Forum Links
Forum Rules