Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 24 bit line in on new 15" AlBook?

24 bit line in on new 15" AlBook?
arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 08:22 PM

The developer note says mic & line in are 44.1kHz, 24 bit, a change from 16 bit on previous powerbooks.

Can anyone confirm this, with their favorite audio editing app? (logic, etc)

I looked quickly in the store, and shareware Sound Studio did allow creating a 24 bit document, but Audio & Midi Setup only showed 44.1 16 bit available. Confused...

bauhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 10:17 PM

I don't know how familiar you are with audio, but 44.1kHz is standard CD sampling rate (so output from any PCM should be at 44.1kHz.)

The 24bit would be a sampling ADDA chip. 24bit is good, but if it's sampling at only 44.1kHz max, then it's behind the times (usually you're looking at 96kHz for 24bit to be forward thinking...)

The S/N ratio is good this time around. I just wish Apple would release the S/N for the iPod (the lack of that info leads me to believe that it is inferior-- my ears confirm that, but I don't know if it's due to the compression.)

scott brown
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 07:09 AM

24/44.1 is not "behind the times"

if someone is recording for cd, he/she might want to record at 24/44.1 and then dither down to 16 to capture more resolution (and also avoiding introducing artifacts by not resampling)
12in PB 867/640/60/SD/AE
17in PB 1.33/1GB/80(5400rpm)

Forum Links
Forum Rules