Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does Apple Inc. still make computers?

Does Apple Inc. still make computers?
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 04:56 PM

Ok that's an overly dramatic title but todays keynote was rather odd.

No new computer news at all, nuttin'. No iLife, no 10.5, no anything. These keynotes are usually always about software and computer hardware and to top that off they drop the "Computer" from their name.

A couple years ago people said somewhat jokingly that Apple is about iPods now as they sell more and make a ton of money from them. Now it seems true.

I love the iPhone, I think it is the coolest thing since the first Macs. BUT I would have liked at least a little news on the computers that has carried Apple for the past 30 years.

Perhaps Steve didn't want too many cool things getting lost in the media shuffle today. At least I hope that is why.

So when is the next scheduled event?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:02 PM

I think the iPod taught them they have a strength out side computers.

Looks like they're trying to focus on peripherals now.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 05:08 PM

My guess is Apple will update the computers in a few weeks outside of Macworld. Steve wants the focus to be on the iPhone.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Soccerji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 05:12 PM

i think they are waiting for windblows to launch vista to consumers...
after that, they will anounce their computer products and make more fun out of microsoft

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:19 PM

I think it would have been better to use MACworld for um.... Macs. They could have done the iPod phone thing any other time at its own event.

Surly people didn't fly to LA for an iPod convention.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Soccerji View Post
i think they are waiting for windblows to launch vista to consumers...
after that, they will anounce their computer products and make more fun out of microsoft
haha, good theory.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 05:48 PM

Dropping "Computer" from their name was probably a good move. Everyone I know just calls them "Apple", anyway.
To be determined later.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Naaaaak View Post
Dropping "Computer" from their name was probably a good move. Everyone I know just calls them "Apple", anyway.
That's what I was thinking. How many people even think of them as 'Apple Computer'?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I think it would have been better to use MACworld for um.... Macs. They could have done the iPod phone thing any other time at its own event.

I think that it's fine that they used MacWorld (a conference based on a magazine about APPLE) for APPLE products.

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Naaaaak View Post
Totally. It is just all odd timing to do it at MACworld and not mention Mac's and tell everyone you are ditching COMPUTER.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 05:58 PM

I think it was marketing that made Steve decide on an iPhone-only keynote at Macworld. Sure it was an abuse of the keynote, since it should have been for OS X, Macs etc., but there is no time in the entire year that so many eyes are on Steve Jobs.

He could not pass this oppertunity to introduce the iPhone. Publicity is everything. Well, darn important anyway.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
I think it was marketing that made Steve decide on an iPhone-only keynote at Macworld. Sure it was an abuse of the keynote, since it should have been for OS X, Macs etc., but there is no time in the entire year that so many eyes are on Steve Jobs.

He could not pass this oppertunity to introduce the iPhone. Publicity is everything. Well, darn important anyway.

V
He could have announced it on new years eve and it would have got the same amount of attention.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 06:08 PM

Considering Apple's name change, maybe they should start calling it AppleWorld?
Agent69

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 06:10 PM

He could have announced it on new years eve and it would have got the same amount of attention.
Not really, people are doing something else than watching the media on new year's eve. Also, he wouldn't have had 2000+ rabid Mac fans in front of him. Perhaps a handful of stale reporters.

Publicity is an art. Timing is everything.

V

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 06:14 PM

Apple Inc. is probably an unexpected bonus of winning the lawsuit against The Beatles. I guess they're involved with so many ever merging technologies that to call them a computer company no longer does them justice.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 06:16 PM

All I know is that Apple.com still states "Apple Computer, Inc." on the 2007 copyright down at the bottom. What false advertising.

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 06:16 PM

Not really, people are doing something else than watching the media on new year's eve. Also, he wouldn't have had 2000+ rabid Mac fans in front of him. Perhaps a handful of stale reporters.

Publicity is an art. Timing is everything.

V
Those rabid Mac fans didn't help much before the iPod worked on PC's for the common teenager.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sourbook View Post
Apple Inc. is probably an unexpected bonus of winning the lawsuit against The Beatles. I guess they're involved with so many ever merging technologies that to call them a computer company no longer does them justice.
Concise. Insightful...

Lost?

Seems like Apple doesn't have any minor announcements to make.*

How are Apple shares this morning?

* Oh yeah appletv. forgot about that.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 07:27 PM

I think Apple is timing these announcements perfectly.

The iPhone announcement basically puts the final nail in the coffin for the Zune. Sure it was doomed to fail on its own, and pretty much has, but this is Apple pretty much saying to Microsoft "just stop trying to kill the iPod, you will never do it."

I am willing to bet that they will have a special event after Vista is released to officially announce Leopard, and put out updated Macs. This will serve as a Vista killer, or try to be. Its competition at its finest. Apple is playing the game perfectly IMO.

And Macworld isn't called Macworld because its all about Mac computers. Its named after the magazine.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 9, 2007, 07:54 PM

What bothers me is they didn't update ANY of the computers. I was expecting small speed bumps, slightly bigger hard drives, something. But.... NOTHING. Just no updates whatsoever. The iMac line was good when it was introduced, but now it's looking a little bit more stale... if they had done even minor tweaks*, they would have stayed on top of things.

*: Speedbump CPU, MXM in 20" imacs, and the top of the line would have a 7900gt, not a 7600gt. 7600GT would be midgrade, 7300 rounding out the bottom.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
That's what I was thinking. How many people even think of them as 'Apple Computer'?
I do.

Apple started with personal computers, and think for a moment-- Apple is still all about Computing devices these days. Just because the iPod or the iPhone are portable doesn't mean they're not computing devices.-- Particularly the iPhone. It is more of a general computing device than the iPod.

And what's to differentiate Apple Computer from Apple Fruit or Apple Clothing Inc.? It's like a last name. It may not be used often, but it's important.

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 09:43 PM

I hope not... the keynote and show is hours away in San Francisco!

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 09:44 PM

Just the ones that earn money from it like Woz and everyone else who got a share piece... When somebody Change a name of a company it changes the way the money flows, right know I think that Apple Inc. will be generating money for Steve and his 2007 pals, and not the originals co-founders that still earning money from everything Apple Computer made.

Bad Move for loyal people.
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 09:52 PM

In answer to the thread topic, here are the latest Mac updates:

Mac Pro: August 7th. 5 months ago.
xServe: August 7th. 5 months ago.

iMac: September 6th. 4 months ago.
Mac Mini: September 6th. 4 months ago.

MacBook: November 8th. 2 months ago.
MacBookPro: October 24th. 2.5 months ago.

The laptops are fine. The desktops are looking a little long in the tooth though.

What really surprised me about this keynote was that there was no "oh, btw, iLife '07 is out too... check it out".

There was no time left in the keynote to talk about anything besides what he did, but I am surprised there was no software announcements. I know the software has been worked on, so the only thing I can imagine is what some others have suggested... that Steve wanted to keep the focus on the 2 products he presented today.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sourbook View Post
Anyone else notice the Beetles coverart in the keynote?

-Owl

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 10:00 PM

I would hope at this stage of development that all new Apple software is so closely tied to new features of 10.5 that they can't show us anything without letting cats out of bags.

A combo hit of Leopard and iLife '07 released on Intel could zunify Vista.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 10:01 PM

I was waiting for a .mac update before renewing. I am choked about this macworld as us Canadians really can't use either BIG announcement. I wanted more juice on Leopard, and a ramp up of .mac.

Maybe Steve will leave Apple Inc. the consumer electronics company, and take OSX and the Macintosh with him... Just a thought!
My Blog-pakos.me

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One View Post
Just the ones that earn money from it like Woz and everyone else who got a share piece... When somebody Change a name of a company it changes the way the money flows, right know I think that Apple Inc. will be generating money for Steve and his 2007 pals, and not the originals co-founders that still earning money from everything Apple Computer made.

Uh...what? How does changing the company name change anything about accounting? I'm really not sure how this works at all...

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 10:20 PM

The name change is to save money. They get charged by the letter, so they are saving billions!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:43 AM

Technically ... the iPhone runs OSX therefore it *is* a Mac ... kinda sorta.

If this thing had 3G and a keyboard I'd already be in line waiting for the release. Without a keyboard I'd still probably get one. Without either I'll wait until release 2. (Maybe ... if I can resist)

What a hell of a good first effort. This *DOES* change things.

But: To re-address the lack of mention of the word "computer"; what happened today just puts a period on the transition that's been taking place since 99/2000. That transition is the rise of the convergence device. If anyone still had doubts about the changing role of computers that doubt was erased today.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One View Post

Elaborate.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 02:08 AM

if i remember correctly steve wanted to shorten the name when he returned to apple but the beatles kept steve from doing it...anyone eles remember this?

anyways...not too subtle hinks that apple/beatles are going to work it out

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 04:07 AM

Elaborate.

I WAS is just being... strange. On the other hand, it did cross my mind that the name change was perhaps an attempt to shake the SEC. "We're not Apple Computer, Inc. We're Apple. You're talking about a totally different company."

Edit: just listened to the Google guy talking about merging the two companies into AppleGoo, haha.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jan 10, 2007 at 04:21 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
if i remember correctly steve wanted to shorten the name when he returned to apple but the beatles kept steve from doing it...anyone eles remember this?
I remember him saying the words "We're now Apple Inc." about 5 years ago, in a Keynote. And for quite awhile I actually lived under the impression that they'd done it.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 07:05 AM

Those rabid Mac fans didn't help much before the iPod worked on PC's for the common teenager.
This isn't the iPod and the iPhone already works for PCs. Different times now Skywalker.

I dare say Steve Jobs knows publicity better than you or any of us. Looking at the buzz in the media today, Jobs is the master of publicity.

The occation he chose was the optimal moment. MW Keynote.

V

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 08:25 AM

Apple is doing what it needs to do to make money. The iPhone will sell, but perhaps steal a little from the iPod in the process.

As long as Apple still produces the most beautiful computers and best OS to work with those gadgets, who cares what the company is called?

I want a 100GB iPod Video with Touch interface!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 11:52 AM

This isn't the iPod and the iPhone already works for PCs. Different times now Skywalker.V
Exactly my point. Apple doesn't need us rabid keynote watching fans to sell these things.

Heck one commercial during American Idol would seal it.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post
Anyone else notice the Beetles coverart in the keynote?

-Owl
I think thats Steve's way of mending fences. Now that the lawsuits are over its time to kiss and makeup. Nobody can stay mad at the Beatles.

Long live Apple Inc. and Apple Records.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 10, 2007, 01:19 PM

You people ignored me. Can this thing use SKYPE? It has wifi.. it has OSX.... so if someone made a skype widget... it would be ****ing mind numbingly world changing. Anywhere with wireless net access= free airtime.

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
You people ignored me. Can this thing use SKYPE? It has wifi.. it has OSX.... so if someone made a skype widget... it would be ****ing mind numbingly world changing. Anywhere with wireless net access= free airtime.
Apple said that it is not open to third parties right now but I am sure that will change no matter what apple wants.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 10, 2007, 01:23 PM

widgets= third parties... right?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
"you people" ???

The short answer is that nobody really knows yet (outside of Apple). More details will come in the months ahead as reviewers get their hands on the little device.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules