Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Linksys Cable Router BEFSR41, G4 tower.. works without configuring?

Linksys Cable Router BEFSR41, G4 tower.. works without configuring?
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 22, 2004, 05:48 AM

so, I just got this Linksys router, and it's plugged into the cable modem.
Thing is, I got it up and running without having to configure anything, and I thought I'd need to before it got working. I read alot about having to configure the router, firewall, etc..

I want to be sure I'm safe from virus/attacks, so I've got the Apple Firewall 'on'.
What's the best way to set this up? I'll be adding an iMac or iBook to the setup shortly.

I'd like the router to be doing the protecting, not the individual computers.

Also, if the router's running a firewall, will I be able to do iChat video/file transfers/P2P etc.??

I read all about upgrading the firmware on my router and how to do it, but I don't know how to configure this thing.(using a web browser?.. passwords? -- I bought it from some guy.. what's the damned password?!)

thanks for the help folks!

drew
ice

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 09:33 AM

The IP address on that model is 192.168.1.1. That will give you access to the web browser configuration. The default password is either admin or left blank (I don't remember which, it's been a while since I had a Linksys). If the previous owner has set a different password, then you'll need to get that from him. Otherwise, you can reset the router to factory defaults and go from there.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

John Strung
Senior User
Jul 22, 2004, 06:04 PM

You can configure the router by going to http://192.168.1.1

The username is left blank. The password is admin.

However, if the default settings work, there is not need to change them.

If you want to know if the firewall is running, go to http://www.grc.com, click on the ShieldsUp links and run the port scan.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2004, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by John Strung:
You can configure the router by going to http://192.168.1.1

The username is left blank. The password is admin.

However, if the default settings work, there is not need to change them.

If you want to know if the firewall is running, go to http://www.grc.com, click on the ShieldsUp links and run the port scan.

I didn't see anything on the router config page about a firewall.. maybe i'm missin' something. still running the OS's firewall for now.

oh, and maybe I'm retarded.. or....? I went to grc.com and looked high and low, and didn't see a port scanner to run.. I saw a crazy site with a bunch of stressed out windows user software.
ice

John Strung
Senior User
Jul 23, 2004, 12:53 PM

Because the LinkSys is a NAT router, it acts as a firewall for incoming traffic by default, unless you open ports.

Go to http://www.grc.com. Click on the ShieldsUp logo. On the next page scroll down the Hot Links part of the page to the ShieldsUP link. Go to the Shield up link and the click on Proceed. Then click on the Common Ports link. GRC will do a port scan and it should report that all your ports are "stealth" even if your Mac firewall is off.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2004, 10:16 AM

The only important security settings you should need to look at on that model out of the box are on the "Advanced" tab of the configuration pages. Scroll to the bottom and look at "Block WAN Request"-it should be Enabled. Now look at "Remote Management"-it should be Disabled. The first tells the router to not respond to outside connection requests, while the second keeps anything that might possibly get in from getting to the router's configuration.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules