Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Clamshell for me!

New Clamshell for me! (Page 2)
ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 04:40 AM

I love being able to share this collections of cool wallpapers, but I just cannot keep up with all the requests. I have sent out quite a few so far, but at 7MB it takes time to send them all throughout the night and day, so...

Would anyone be willing to host this zip file for me? That way anyone can download the collection to enjoy. Please let me know here or in a PM, cheers!
iMac G4 / Macbook

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 10:38 AM

I can host for you if you still need it. I can send you an upload link via PM.

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam
I can host for you if you still need it. I can send you an upload link via PM.
Sounds good!
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 10:37 PM

Ok here is the download link for the OS 9 wallpapers everyone, thankyou again for hosting my friend!!!

https://www.slashtmp.iu.edu/public/d...tb/426424oMCVL
iMac G4 / Macbook

DmbShn41
Sep 13, 2006, 03:17 AM

So I my first Mac was an an Apple II, then I splurged and got a 233mhz G3 !st Ed. iMac. I know, still feeling the recprocussions. I loved it for its simplicity, but got lost in Windows for years. But I'm recovering and will go one day at a time. I'm on my way to buy a new iMac, but fell in love with a Graphite iBook clamshell on eBay. Has the 366mhz, 128 mb, 6 GB still. Previous owner put 10.2 Jaguar on it. I want to upgrade so I can chuck my Toshiba from a speeding car while in front of a convoy of semis. What upgrades do you professionals recommend that I do so I can use as an everyday iTunes/iPod/Web Browsing/awesome machine? Heres what I was thinking:

6GB HD --> 30 or 60 GB (?)Toshiba(?) HD, 5400rpm
128 MB --> 384MB, 512MB if possible

10.2 Jaguar --> 10.4 if will still breath after th above

I love these things and feel so much healthier and alive with a Mac. I've already convnced my girlfriend, so she will let me have part of my paycheck back to get this baby humming, and to buy it a friend. Any suggestions...?

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 04:13 AM

I have you covered here! Here we go...

The largest and fastest HD you can put in there, techrestore.com will do it for you at good prices. I recommend 5400 RPM to 7200 RPM.

512MB memory upgrade, and be done with it.

Panther OS X 10.3.9 for speed and software.
iMac G4 / Macbook

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 08:18 AM

Also, here's the link for the wallpapers in JPG format:

https://slashtmp.iu.edu/public/downl...tb/13854BIkSXe

ChasingApple's ZIP archive has the images with no file extension, so if you want to use them in windows you have to rename all of them - so there you go.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Sep 13, 2006 at 09:32 AM. )

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam
Also, here's the link for the wallpapers in JPG format:

https://slashtmp.iu.edu/public/downl...tb/13854BIkSXe

ChasingApple's ZIP archive has the images with no file extension, so if you want to use them in windows you have to rename all of them - so there you go.
Sweetness! Now I can use them when my Alienware laptop comes
iMac G4 / Macbook

lowdaksport
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 04:25 PM

This thread makes me want a clamshell lol. I just like gettign older stuff. Just gettign any laptop is fun to play with even if I dont need it. Keeps me occupied I guess.

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 04:58 PM

I'm in love with mine, it just feels good to type on this wonderful and solid keyboard (the G4 ibooks have the worst keyboards ever made, IMHO), the very very comfy palm rests the Clamshells provide are priceless! And it still runs everything modern, with the exception of Quicktime 7, which is a ballbuster on this thing. But then again this is not meant to be a multimedia laptop, just a web surfer, email, blogging, chatting, word processor computer.

With the way I have mine setup though, I can run just about anything and it is quite fast! Here is the laundry list...

G3 366Mhz / 576MB PC-133 Memory / 10GB HD / CD-Rom (Dead)

Whats installed....

Panther OS X 10.3.9
Firefox 2.0 RC2 (speedy and compact)
Textedit for simple word processing.

No iLife what-so-ever! I need none of it on this Clamshell, the only iAPP I use is iTunes for music, and I have the brand new iTunes 7 running on here. Everything else is stock Panther. I dont even have iCal or any of that nonsense, no need for it.

One day I will upgrade the HD to a faster 5400 RPM 60+ GB, but until then it is fine the way it is. Now that I went ahead and ordered my Alienware laptop I doubt I will upgrade this Clammy, cause the Alienware is pimped out
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 12:54 AM

You know what, I am kinda bored tonight... I think I will load up Tiger on the Clammy and see how it does. Looks to be a 2.2GB install with my options leaving plenty of space for me to use. I will report back and let everyone know what Tiger does with a 366Mhz G3, hehe.

Cheers
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 01:17 AM

apple's website states that you need a 500 g3 processor to install itunes 7. everything work on your 366?

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 01:33 AM

iTunes 7 ran fine in Panther on a 366 G3, Tiger is all loaded up now and I am doing the updates as I type. Quicktime 7 however says it needs a 400 G3 or better to run, and that I do not have, Quicktime 7 in Panther sucked balls.

Once the indexing of the drive is done I will report on the speed of the OS vs Panther as well.
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 02:02 AM

quote:
no ilife what-so-ever

you're obviously good at photography. no pictures on your clamshell? no iphoto?

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by gooser
quote:
no ilife what-so-ever

you're obviously good at photography. no pictures on your clamshell? no iphoto?
On my PC and on my iMac I do alot of digital photo work, ALOT. The Clamshell is not meant for that heavy duty stuff, I mess around with 3.2-9 MP images and the clammy would have a heart attack trying to render some of this stuff

iTunes is it as far as the iApps go.

Thanks for the compliment on the photography though! I feel all warm and fuzzy now

P.S. *EDIT* I would also like to say for the record that iPhoto is crap. It has neat effects like real time resizing while viewing the library, and ordering a photo album is cool, but it's the evil things is does in the background that suck. I hate that it makes copies of everything you edit, eventually filling up your HD with useless old copies of photos until your HD has a siezure trying to figure it all out. I usually mess with 10,000-20,000 pictures at a time, and iPhoto just doesn't cut it.

I usually use my PC with Windows XP Pro while messing with large volumes of pics, and soon my Alienware will be my new portable picture pimping machine
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 02:50 AM

Well, I am suprised! Tiger 10.4.7 is indeed faster when using the OS. Doing the Apple updates took way less time because of the optimizing part which takes for freakin ever in Panther. The general interface seems much quicker, and apps launch faster then they did with Panther.

Now to try some of the apps I enjoy, like Firefox, Camino, and some word processors!

*Update* Ok, browsers surf the net WAY slower in Tiger on this computer. Panther is far faster at it. I end up sitting there for a minute or more while it looks up the page, and then stare at the loading bars while it downloads the page. I even thought I had a bad DNS entry or something, so of course I flushed it in terminal and still nothing, sloooooow.

Actually going between my Gaming PC, my iMac, and my Clamshell I see just how slow OS X really is at launching apps, file browsing, and surfing webpages. Of course I know my clammy is gonna be slower at this, but the difference between my PC and my iMac is insane, I can only imagine how fast the Alienware Laptop is going to be with the Intel Core 2 Duo inside and Radeon x1400 128MB!

I wish Steve would give us all a lite version of the OS, you know a version that say... leaves out the opengl crap running constantly (expose, opening windows, etc). Why not instead of the cool scale out effect it just pops all the windows instantly and lets you choose the one you want? Why do we need this eye candy effect as the windows transition to the background and spread out? I know it looks great but if I could double the OS speed by turning that crap off then I would in a heartbeat, even on my iMac!

I dunno, but OS X is slow. DO NOT get me wrong, I love the OS, but it is very slow compared to Linux or Windows. Hmm, I think Panther might just have to go back on the Clammy, Tiger is good on the iMac though.
( Last edited by ChasingApple; Sep 14, 2006 at 04:51 AM. )
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 05:32 AM

Well Tiger did not impress me at all on the Clamshell, the OS seemed to be running faster and some things really did run faster, but the web browsers all were much slower, and opengl enhancing effects in Tiger were slower. Back to Panther for nice and smooth OS goodness. Here is a pic of the clammy doing its Panther updates for giggles

iMac G4 / Macbook

DmbShn41
Sep 14, 2006, 07:56 AM

So I finally got my Clammy today, pics will be up shortly. Here's what I bought and should have in a week.

512 MB Module
80GB Toshiba 5400 rpm 8MB Cache SuperSlim 9.5mm Drive

Also, if I remember correctly, isnt there some kind of iPod-like cover that is designed and fitted as a cover for these? Anyone know what I am talking about? Chase help....

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by DmbShn41
So I finally got my Clammy today, pics will be up shortly. Here's what I bought and should have in a week.

512 MB Module
80GB Toshiba 5400 rpm 8MB Cache SuperSlim 9.5mm Drive

Also, if I remember correctly, isnt there some kind of iPod-like cover that is designed and fitted as a cover for these? Anyone know what I am talking about? Chase help....
"These" being the clamshells or the hard drives? If you mean the hard drives, then yes, there are cases for laptop drives that are about the size of a 60GB iPod photo. If you're talking about an iPod-like case for the clamshell, then I've got no idea.

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 02:24 PM

HD enclosures yes, for the Clammy itself I am with shifuiman on that one, or are you talking about the Mac-Case?

Give us more info brother
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 15, 2006, 12:51 AM

Found a new killer wallpaper! I wish I could find an Indigo varient of it, but orange is killer too!

iMac G4 / Macbook

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 02:24 AM

yeah, those clamshells are pretty cool... maybe if they weren't 800x600 I'd shell out a few bucks and have one just for shits and giggles... man, it would be really cool to have an iMac G4 though... but they're so expensive! I could get a Mac mini for the same price!
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple
I love my iMac G4, I use it for video editing because of the nice large screen and zippy speeds. I thought about getting a G5 iMac back in the day but then decided I didnt like them. Nothing special about them at all, just a flat panel screen really. The G4 was just cool with its swivel screen and R2-D2 base. Still a looker in this house!

While I have to admit, they are pretty cool looking, I would never use an iMac G4 for video editing and I would NEVER say it had 'zippy speeds.' I would just want it to look cool and sit in the background doing boring, desktop-ish tasks like downloading things from BitTorrent...

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 15, 2006, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dillon-K
While I have to admit, they are pretty cool looking, I would never use an iMac G4 for video editing and I would NEVER say it had 'zippy speeds.' I would just want it to look cool and sit in the background doing boring, desktop-ish tasks like downloading things from BitTorrent...
Hmm, interesting view. So your all about speed then. Well how about this point of view. The iMac I have has a gorgeous 17" widescreen..1440x900 display, and has been rock stable since I bought it almost 4 years ago. It has never crashed, never had any glitches, never locked up an app, and has been a workhorse for me since the day I bought it. No these days it is not the fastest Mac I could have, but I never worry about it not doing its job.

Also, it is a space saver, requiring very little room, and when I am showing clients the work I am doing it is very easy to swing the screen to them for viewing. Almost 4 years ago it was the fastest iMac you could get, and for the $1800 I paid it has worked for every dollar. Would I throw it out and make it a simple websurfer / bittorrent machine just cause it's not the new kid on the block? NOPE. It will continue to do its work for a good long time to come. Then when my daughter has grown a little more, it will be her computer for schoolwork, projects, research, and play. Do I consider it one of the greatest Macs Apple ever made? YEP. Do I think I got my moneys worth? YEP. Does it still continue to do its job I ask of it every day? YEP. Will it restart its use once my daughter takes the controls from me? YEP.

Anyway, you must be pretty new to Apple computers to make such a statement. Welcome aboard and in 4 years I will ask you if you would EVER do the things your doing now on your Macbook
iMac G4 / Macbook

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 03:12 AM

Hmm, interesting view. So your all about speed then. Well how about this point of view. The iMac I have has a gorgeous 17" widescreen..1440x900 display, and has been rock stable since I bought it almost 4 years ago. It has never crashed, never had any glitches, never locked up an app, and has been a workhorse for me since the day I bought it. No these days it is not the fastest Mac I could have, but I never worry about it not doing its job.

Also, it is a space saver, requiring very little room, and when I am showing clients the work I am doing it is very easy to swing the screen to them for viewing. Almost 4 years ago it was the fastest iMac you could get, and for the $1800 I paid it has worked for every dollar. Would I throw it out and make it a simple websurfer / bittorrent machine just cause it's not the new kid on the block? NOPE. It will continue to do its work for a good long time to come. Then when my daughter has grown a little more, it will be her computer for schoolwork, projects, research, and play. Do I consider it one of the greatest Macs Apple ever made? YEP. Do I think I got my moneys worth? YEP. Does it still continue to do its job I ask of it every day? YEP. Will it restart its use once my daughter takes the controls from me? YEP.

Anyway, you must be pretty new to Apple computers to make such a statement. Welcome aboard and in 4 years I will ask you if you would EVER do the things your doing now on your Macbook
Whoah, Whoah, Whoah.... You're mistaking what I said. I didn't say that it wasn't a great computer blah blah blah. Yes, I DO think it is one of the best Macs ever made, exactly why I said earlier in the thread that I wanted to get one. But, not so much for editing, but for encoding video it would take ages! I'm not 'all about speed' but it's really nice to start something, go do something in another app and come back and have it done... not start it, leave it alone for a couple hours, come back and have it be done. So yeah, I understand why you have it but I wouldn't call it 'zippy' by today's standards. Read more carefully, man.

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 15, 2006, 04:00 AM

I read ya, and I get where your coming from. But your a little off with the encoding speeds. I have a Widescreen HD camcorder, encodes at 720p. Of course importing onto the iMac is real time, so for a 1 hour DV tape it takes 1 hour, no matter what machine it will take 1 hour. Now the process of re-encoding down to 480p for DVD for example which is what I do were talking about less then an hour of time. Honestly I have 4 computers surrounding me at all times, and this one does video almost 100% of the time. I usually use my Clammy for the web stuff, and my Gaming PC for my music, photo, and gaming.

Soon my Alienware will be here (it shipped) and I can do away with my desktop gamer rig. Re-read my earlier response to you thinking I'm not mad, matter of fact picture me sounding just like pat morita (Mr. Myogi) as he talks to daniel-son. I was not mad at ya
iMac G4 / Macbook

DmbShn41
Sep 15, 2006, 07:15 AM

HD enclosures yes, for the Clammy itself I am with shifuiman on that one, or are you talking about the Mac-Case?

Give us more info brother

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the Clammies. I thought I saw a Clamshell with a black, maybe dark cover that was form fitting to the casing of the computer, with a zipper to seal off the casing. I may be wrong. Anyone recall....

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2006, 08:33 PM

Well, I got an Indigo Clamshell iBook today, my friend traded it over to me for my larger HP ZT1145 notebook. The HP was just too big and ran Windows so it had to go, lol.
Congrats, looks sharp, good luck w/ it!

rach
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2006, 07:16 AM

I have a clamshell also I bought one this year of Ebay. I have a keylime 466, 60GB, 576ram model and i have been going back and forwards about selling it for a while as i could do with the cash. This thread though just makes it harder for me to part with it.

I could not use as a Clamshell as my main machine for an indefinte period of time but it is good as a second laptop for me. I also don't find the 800x600 resolution too limiting on these clamshells. Because of the age of these clamshells i actually don't like to use mine too much in fear of causing damage to it and shortening its lifespan.

I will post some pictures in the G3 Clamshell thread soon sometime early next week.

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 17, 2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by rach
I have a clamshell also I bought one this year of Ebay. I have a keylime 466, 60GB, 576ram model and i have been going back and forwards about selling it for a while as i could do with the cash. This thread though just makes it harder for me to part with it.

I could not use as a Clamshell as my main machine for an indefinte period of time but it is good as a second laptop for me. I also don't find the 800x600 resolution too limiting on these clamshells. Because of the age of these clamshells i actually don't like to use mine too much in fear of causing damage to it and shortening its lifespan.

I will post some pictures in the G3 Clamshell thread soon sometime early next week.
You have a very nice Clammy! Go ahead and use it! Pretty much anything inside can be replaced if it fails so do not worry. You have a piece of Apple history there and people will literally come up to you and ask about it. Show it off brother!
iMac G4 / Macbook

DmbShn41
Sep 17, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by rach

If you are considering selling, considered it sold. I will buy from you if you're interested. Keep me in mind, til then, keep on trucking.....

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 18, 2006, 01:27 PM

And just like that we see just how HOT the clamshell iBook STILL IS to this day. People want them, people love them, no matter where I go people stop and ask me what kind of laptop I am on, and where to get one! If Apple would only pay attention to the designs that are so damn popular and perhaps update them a little to the present they would have an easy money maker on thier hands.

What do you think? If Apple released a Core 2 Duo equipped modernized Clamshell would you buy it? I know I would!
iMac G4 / Macbook

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 02:03 PM

I don't think I would buy it. I've owned one iBook for 2 weeks while my TiBook was being repaired, and it was a G3 white polycarbonate.

I think the iMac and subsequent clamshell iBooks met a need for Apple at that specific time. Steve Jobs was at the helm again, and Apple needed something radically different to get people to pay attention to Apple again. The iMac and iBook did that, with their candy colors and swoopy designs. However radical it was at the time, it definitely had a finite life span. You can only get by on cool colors alone for so long (remember the dalmation and flower-power...they kinda bombed). The next attention grabber for Apple was OS X, and what that offered was REAL substance...something that would carry Apple through the long-term. That and the iPod.

If you remember PC companies jumped on the candy color bandwagon for a time, with loads of periphials in various colors and even the eOne (I had one). Once Apple abandoned color for the sex appeal of metal (titanium, anodized aluminum) and the sleekness of white, PC makers went back to black and beige. And they were still stuck with Windows.

So I think the color and swoopy design gimmicks are over. BTW I have a BlueBerry iMac, and I LOVE the way it looks on my desk.
( Last edited by cwosigns; Sep 18, 2006 at 02:53 PM. )
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

rach
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 02:42 PM

Chasing Apple thank you for your advice.

DmbShn41 sure i will let you know if i do decide to sell it

Originally Posted by Chasing Apple
What do you think? If Apple released a Core 2 Duo equipped modernized Clamshell would you buy it? I know I would!
These Clamshells I think influenced the Tulip Ego laptop Clamshells that are growing in demand but they are Windows based. These laptops are also pretty expensive for some models.
Tulip Ego - my Ego

I think that if Apple released a modern day Clamshell that i would most probably buy it.

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2006, 08:53 PM

Just wondering becuse i dont know much about them and this may sound stupid but does the clamshell have usb ports?
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 10:05 PM

Yes. The clamshells have 1 USB port and the white polycarbonate iBooks have 2 USB ports.
Chris

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 10:08 PM

Also, if you're looking for information about all things Apple, check out Mac Tracker. It's a great program that's updated pretty frequently. Plus it has thumbnail pics/rendering and very detailed information.
( Last edited by cwosigns; Sep 18, 2006 at 10:09 PM. Reason: incorrect html code)
Chris

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 10:44 PM

the last clamshells had firewire.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 18, 2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by cwosigns
Also, if you're looking for information about all things Apple, check out Mac Tracker. It's a great program that's updated pretty frequently. Plus it has thumbnail pics/rendering and very detailed information.
Thanks mate! Awesome app!
iMac G4 / Macbook

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 07:19 AM

I think the clams would represent a niche market, but perhaps Apple should go for small markets like that more. I imagine it's a cost thing, in that developing a new clam would be very expensive. I'm sure Steve would like to offer many weird designs for different markets, but economies of scale won't allow it, and it would very much dilute the range of products (which was one of the big problems Apple had before Steve came back).

Forum Links
Forum Rules