Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Will there be an iPhone 6c?

Will there be an iPhone 6c?
HamSandwich
Dec 24, 2015, 09:27 AM

Hey,

will there be an iPhone 6c? It was sort of plausible, as there was an iPhone 5c, to assume there would be a new revision, but nothing ever happened. Nothing happened to the iPad Air 2 as well, MacRumors adds. What do you think? I also think it is rather likely they are bringing a new version, maybe in March, as that is the date they already many used many times to announce new products.

It would be fine, now in metal, which would be good for the environment. I really liked the colors very much, they added a lot to the strict black and white casing Apple usually had (add gold, if you wish). I even liked the choice of colors, which I thought was very modern.

So, any thoughts? There are many happy iPhone 5c users, I think. I don't know what to make of that, as it was not so successful, I believe.

Greetings,
PeterParker

P
Dec 24, 2015, 07:17 PM

There are rumors of an iPhone 6c, sized like the iPhone 5 but with the innards from the iPhone 6s. Nobody knows if that is true, but there seems to be a lot of smoke for there being no fire.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 24, 2015, 09:42 PM

We here are have the consensus that there will be a smaller iPhone at some point in 2016, but it won't have the A9. A8 like the touch.

We'll all see together.

P
Dec 26, 2015, 09:50 AM

I know that people keep saying that, but it doesn't make sense. An iPhone 6c would be sold as an upgrade for people who prefer a 4" size, but the majority of those people would have the iPhone 5s now, and such an iPhone 6c would hardly be an upgrade. People seem to think that Apple's CPUs progress evenly, but nothing could be further from the truth, The A8 is a minuscule upgrade over the A7 - Apple said 25% more CPU performance and 50% more GPU performance, but that is very much a best case. Most of that upgrade comes from a clock speed boost (which would be hard to do in the smaller shape) and general compiler upgrades for the CPU. It tightens some cache latencies (but not the ones that count), it improves GPU performance on half-precision floats, adds a new texture compression format, and improves a couple of special cases. The common case hardly improves at all. RAM is the same (both speed and size), the storage controllers haven't changed, same fingerprint sensor, most likely the same display and backlight as the current 5s... The one thing they could do is improve the camera again, but even there, the camera in the 6 is not much better than the 5s, and the one in the 6 Plus is unlikely to fit.

If Apple wants to make such a phone in that performance band, they're better off sticking with the 5s innards and maybe move to a cheaper case like the 5c, but I hope that they will do an event with the 4" iPhone and the 10" iPad, both of them upgraded with the latest SoC and the iPad moved to 32GB storage as the base model.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2015, 09:29 AM

IMO key for Apple will be to make a 5-sized phone with most if not all of the essential tech advancements of the 6s, and lose the brand positioning of the smaller-sized model as being lower-end. It should primarily be a size choice rather than a price choice, aimed at those tens of millions of flagship-level users who liked the 5 size. If they do that it probably should be something other than a c for cheap model designation.

Based on P's comments a smaller phone may need to lose some capability but I do not think it needs to get thinner or lighter than the 5, so pretty much all the tech except perhaps 3D Touch should be feasible.

Then again the 5c for cheaper sold a lot of phones. Estimates suggest it was perhaps the 5th or 6th biggest model sold worldwide. In addition to a top-end 5-size phone there is likely worldwide market space for a cheaper but not 5-sized iPhone model.

Service and especially support are a huge part of product value in smartphones. Apple may not be able to beat the likes of Xiaomi and their ilk on straight hardware value, but
• only Apple has great support
• only Apple has unfragmented iOS
• only Apple has the Apple ecosystem
• some folks hate all things Google because of their primary business model of mining users' data, and will pay extra to avoid the Google Android ecosystem.
All those characteristics together would make any $300 Apple phone better value than a $200 competitor's phone for a lot of buyers.

Those issues are a big part of what comprises a smartphone product and give Apple potential entry into any market level. If I was an Apple manager I would be lobbying for a differentiated lower end lower priced model (but not true low end) like the 5c was. Probably iP6-sized but cheaper materials, differentiating colors and lower price margins to act as entry level devices and ecosystem volume boosters.

Just my 02.
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Dec 30, 2015 at 09:52 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules