Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The new iPad

The new iPad (Page 10)
snowconesandwich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2012, 02:32 PM

I wonder how game changing the Nexus 7 will be in the sales of the iPad?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2012, 03:40 PM

I don't think they're really in the same market.

It will be far more interesting to see what the Nexus 7 does to the Kindle Fire. Not that the Kindle Fire is still selling at all.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2012, 04:06 PM

I assume it'll kill it, until Amazon drops it to $100.

Which they will.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2012, 05:52 PM

The Fire isn't selling so well because it's 7", it's selling because of price point. Apple's rumored 7" iPad mini is expected to be upper $200 range which may be low enough to do well.

snowconesandwich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2012, 07:40 AM

Well, some people may not consider the Nexus 7 to be in the same league as the iPad, but essentially, there are people looking for tablets, and rather than simply going for the iPad, they tend to buy something with the same power even though smaller the the iPad,

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2012, 08:15 AM

I'm on the fence about a 7 inch iPad unless Apple modifies the UI with iOS 6. Steve said they were no good unless people sanded their fingertips down to points because the UI is too small. He never said they were not good with a proper UI, as iPhone and iPod prove.

The competitor's 7 inch tablets seem to be the netbooks of the tablet form factor. When Steve introduced iPad he said netbooks were no good because they weren't better at anything. They were just cheap laptops. That's how I see the 7 inch Android tablets, and the characterization also fits Surface, which is trying very hard to be just a small laptop that does nothing better than existing laptops.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2012, 08:27 AM

Since the small iPad now seems like a sure thing, I'm going to wait until I see it before buying my next iPad.

-t

HealthBuffMe
Jul 7, 2012, 06:13 PM

if it is a smaller iPad, just like the any other 7 inch android tablets then it is much more convenient to be carried. thumbs up for the size but of course its iOS is incomparable!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Since the small iPad now seems like a sure thing, I'm going to wait until I see it before buying my next iPad.

-t
I'm still skeptical.

But, like including full-screen mode in Lion, Apple has made some decisions that leave me scratching my head.

eyepon35
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm still skeptical.
But, like including full-screen mode in Lion, Apple has made some decisions that leave me scratching my head.
This is what happens when steve is no longer running the show. He was a true pioneer and a visionary. Tim Cook ain't that bad, but he can't fill Steve's shoes

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2012, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by eyepon35 View Post
I'm still skeptical.
This is what happens when steve is no longer running the show.
Bullshit.

Lion was developed and released under his helm, and we know that all the bizarre design stuff in there (****ing address book and calendar apps, I'm looking at YOU, with tear-filled eyes) were HIS decision.

We didn't know what Apple was doing under Steve, and what's changed is that now, we don't know what Apple is doing, except not under Steve.

That's all.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2012, 10:41 AM

I have no problem with full screen mode---I don't use it on my 27" Cinema Display, but sometimes it's useful on my 13" MacBook Pro. It's completely up to each individual whether to use it or not. And I'm sure it was high on the list of features that would entice Windows users to come to Mac.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2012, 12:02 PM

I'm still skeptical.
I was skeptical for the longest time, too. But the recent barrage of news reports and leaks from manufacturers and "experts" leaves me no other choice than to look at the 7.85" iPad as certainty.

John Gruber's analysis makes much sense. especially when it comes to the resolution and display issues.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by eyepon35 View Post
This is what happens when steve is no longer running the show. He was a true pioneer and a visionary. Tim Cook ain't that bad, but he can't fill Steve's shoes
Full Screen in Lion was included under Steve Jobs.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2012, 04:04 PM

I'm waiting to see what Freudling does with the news that the Nexus 7" is reportedly seeing high retail sales.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2012, 05:45 PM

Zero
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I'm waiting to see what Freudling does with the news that the Nexus 7" is reportedly seeing high retail sales.
Do you mean "smooth" sales?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2012, 12:57 AM

Do you mean "sales" or "shipments"?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2012, 04:24 AM

Do you mean "sales" or "shipments"?
If you're talking about the Nexus 7, the "sales" and "shipment" numbers are likely similar, as it is sold out everywhere.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2012, 06:23 AM

I was referring to this article.
http://forums.macnn.com/0/forum/465086/nexus-7-reportedly-seeing-high-retail-sales

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
Google's Nexus 7 tablet is apparently seeing strong sales upon its retail debut. Sources in retail tell Reuters that the 7-inch device is selling out quickly, though the reports do not specify how many units have been made available. The news comes alongside rumors that preorders for the tablet have begun shipping on time.

Sources at Gamestop report that their stores "blew through the first two allotments" of the tablet shipped to them. Similarly, the website for Sam's Club lists the 16GB version of the device as out of stock and encourages customers to check back later.
Earlier today, a tweet from the Google Nexus team revealed that the device was indeed shipping to customers that had preordered it online. Some customers responding to the tweet indicated that they had already received their units in the mail.
As Google hasn't released any information on the number of units produced, it is difficult to ascertain how much of the sell-out is dependent on supply versus demand. Electronista spoke with sources in multiple retail locations around the US, finding varying situations. One Best Buy location had received 54 Nexus 7 units and quickly sold out of all of them. Another had received only two, both preorders, and sold them both. Another Best Buy representative was unsure whether his store had received any units, and a Staples location informed us that the store would not be receiving any units until August.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2012, 05:57 PM

Well, my local Staples said they've been selling the Nexus 7 like mad, and at least at that store it's outselling the iPad. However, they said they would have sold a lot more but can't because they don't have enough stock. It's constantly sold out everywhere.

I was checking all day today and it was interesting to see stock pop up on one online store and then go out of stock again minutes later. Finally, I was able to get in on one of them, and reserved one. I picked up a Nexus 7 today... the same day that Apple became the biggest company of all time.

Decent machine. Seems well built, and Jelly Bean is very responsive, but overall the Android is still not as slick as iOS. There are stupid idiosyncracies such as non-rotation of the home screen, but full rotation of all the apps like Chrome if you should turn on rotation. It's inane that if you are in landscape mode (which I prefer) when you exit Chrome you're back in portrait.

Having the quad core feels great. I tried a single-core ICS machine a while back and it sucked - laaaaaag. Much worse responsiveness than the original iPad with single-core. However, quad-core on Jelly Bean with the Nexus 7 flies.

The 1280x800 screen at 7" is not retina but it still looks quite good. Certainly better than the original iPad and iPad 2 (which I own). It certainly feels great in your hand. Note I say "hand", not "hands". Although it's still a two-handed device, it feels totally comfortable to hold it in one hand. The Nexus 7 is 340 grams. The iPad 2 is 601 grams, or 77% more. Of course, the iPad feels considerably heavier, but not just because of the added weight of the iPad. The iPad feels more awkward because of the increased leverage that a larger device has when you're holding it by one side.

I won't get to really test out some of what I want to do with it until later. I want to root the thing, simply to install Stickmount, so I can have access to external USB flash media. I want to be able to play MKV on the thing from external flash. I can't do that on the iPad, but it's possible with a rooted Nexus 7. Fortunately, rooting is supposedly very simple.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2012, 11:53 AM

Rig, this should enable the home screen rotation on your Nexus https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate&feature=search_result# ?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm5sLmZhbWVpdC5yb3RhdGUiXQ..

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2012, 06:03 AM

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I also installed Nova Launcher, but that's a completely independent launcher, so I'd rather not use it initially as I'm still learning the OS.

BTW, I've since rooted the device. Contrary to popular myth, rooting is not very simple, even with the simplest root software. It's the classic Linux/Android geek's definition of simple. Not exactly hard, but a kludgy process, with a poor overall interface, and mediocre instructions. But then again I can't complain because it's free, and it's now rooted.

The main reason I rooted was to install Stickmount, and it's great. Now when I plug in a USB flash drive, it automatically mounts it. I was able to play a 10 GB movie MKV file directly off an NTFS-formatted 32 GB flash drive. No need to transcode my MKV files for viewing or side load them onto the limited space of the Nexus 7 (or iPad). The main annoyance is the dongle - USB flash drive and adapter cable - sticking out of the tablet. Note that for most consumers who don't need this feature (as in most of the iPad crowd), rooting is unnecessary.

The web rendering speed of the Nexus 7 is noticeably faster than my iPad 2, and overall smoothness of Jelly Bean is very good. However, I have noticed occasional spots where it's not perfectly smooth. As everyone knows, Apple optimized the hell out of iOS for smoothness. It seems Google isn't at the same level even with Jelly Bean, but has compensated for the difference by including a 1.3 GHz quad-core CPU.

BTW, I also installed Firefox Beta and Flash 11. Flash actually works well. I guess Flash 11's optimizations and quad-core finally make this feasible... but it's too late since you have to sideload Flash to get it on the machine, and Adobe doesn't even provide access to the app anymore.

What makes the 7" format work well partially is the availability of a large font option. I find the regular font size kinda cramped (although still better than an iPhone for browsing of course), but the large font size is quite nice.

If the 7.85" iPad is 1024x768 or 1280x960 I think the experience would likely be similar. This form factor is great on the Nexus 7, and I think a 7.85" iPad would be great too. As of now, this Nexus 7 is my primary tablet. The iPad 2 (which I personally didn't use much), is now purely my wife's tablet.

P.S. Benches seem to agree with my assessment of browser speed:

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2012, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Rig, this should enable the home screen rotation on your Nexus https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate&feature=search_result# ?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm5sLmZhbWVpdC5yb3RhdGUiXQ..
That works great thx.

BTW, I can't get over just how much I love the form factor. I knew I'd like it, but I like it even more than I was expecting. The 9.7 inch iPad 2 I have simply felt too heavy and awkward to be a big advantage over my 11 inch laptop. The iPad gets tiring quickly, and if you set it down, the screen is flat on the table unless you have a stand. The smart cover is a stand but it is very unstable if you try to type on the iPad. I found I was either pulling out one of my laptops (which are 11 and 13 inch), going to my desktop, or even just using my iPhone.

With the 7 inch size, it feels comfortable in the hand even after relatively long periods. It is a perfect bridge between my iPhone and laptops.

Apple would be absolutely moronic not to release an iPad mini.

I find the idea of a non-retina iPad mini much more compelling than a retina iPad. (BTW, I don't like the name iPad Air as much.)

P.S. Some of the more well respecting Apple rumour blog sites etc. are now claiming there will be more than one Apple event, one for the iPhone 5, and one for the iPad mini a month or so later. I understand why they say that, to increase the press coverage, and to have the coverage of the various products not compete, but then again if I were a reporter I'd get irritated at the constant PR crap from Apple after a while. Grumbling about some of the of the Apple events has already happened in the past.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2012, 07:30 AM

No reporter is going to grumble about different events for products as significant as a new iPhone and a new tablet. In fact exactly the opposite.

IMO it would be nuts for Apple to compress two such major products into one announcement.

-Allen

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
No reporter is going to grumble about different events for products as significant as a new iPhone and a new tablet. In fact exactly the opposite.
There was some grumbling published online already a year or two ago.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
There was some grumbling published online already a year or two ago.
Not for two major new billion-dollar products. Chickens**t announcements of course are a different story.

-Allen

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2012, 10:17 AM

Well, a 4" iPhone and a 7"-8" iPad mini aren't exactly revolutionary products for 2012. 4"+ touchscreen smartphones have been available for just about forever now, and I'm typing this message on a 7" Nexus 7. The 4" iPhone and iPad mini are evolutionary products, widely predicted (and requested) by end users and by tech journalists for quite some time now.

Or are you assuming Apple will completely change the game with these announcements or something?

P.S. The autocorrect on this Nexus 7 capitalizes "iPhone" and "iPad" correctly. Interesting.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

Or are you assuming Apple will completely change the game with these announcements or something?
I do not know what will or will not change the game. I have however been speculating the utility of a midsize iDevice for quite a long time.

In any event they are both unannounced products lacking specifics at this point. Both are by any measure "major" products; just look at the millions of words already speculated. The announcement of either one by itself will provide enough fodder for any blogger or publication to have more than enough Apple words for one day or one issue (more likely for multiple issues).

-Allen

Forum Links
Forum Rules