Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What's next now for the iBook ...

What's next now for the iBook ...
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 03:56 AM

The iBooks look like dinosaures now on the Apple catalogue. All mac have DDR, at least 133 mhz bus, airport extreme, G4, superdrive available ... it is really hight time Apple updates the iBook with all those new features and make a bigger jump in speed than just 100 mhz ! When I realize that they introduced the iceBook in 2001 at 500 mhz. 2 years later, we are at 900. Wow.
S k y p a t

Applefreak01
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 12:00 PM

I remembered seeing a new G3 called the 750GX with a 222MHz or a 260MHz bus with speeds from 733MHz to 1.1GHz from IBM. MacOSrumors said that it was likely that Apple would use this new G3 in the next generation of iBooks. I don't think we'll see a G4 iBook until after the next generation of iBooks.

Here's the link for more info on the 750GX:
http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/...ductfocus.html
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2003, 07:11 PM

The iBook's fine. I predict the next version will go up to 1Ghz. Whoope, but my 900Mhz iBook works well. In fact the iBook is needed for a current spot: the "just enough" computer.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Scooterboy
Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 06:36 AM

IBM says the 750FX (the current G3) and the 750 GX can support up to 200 MHz bus. Also, the 750GX will have a 1MB level 2 cache. An iBook with a 1.1 GHz 750GX (G3) on a 200 MHz bus will be a significant performance increase while still being a low power (<8 watts) CPU. IBM is advancing the design of the G3 far beyond what Motorola had in mind, and I'd expect the G3 to be in the iBooks for a long while, while PowerBooks will go G5 probably next year (I was hoping this year). It will be interesting to see how the Gobi G3 (750GX) iBooks stack up against the PowerBook G4's (providing Apple doesn't cripple the iBooks with an outdated graphics chip or slow system bus).
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 08:28 AM

I hope they upgrade the plastic used to a higher quality like which was used on the original white icebooks.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:

Here's the link for more info on the 750GX:
http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/...ductfocus.html
Here we can see that Apple should be able to use a 200 mhz bus already now shouldn't they ? They use the 750 FX aren't they ? I think Apple will never boost the bus speed to 200 mhz on the iBook. It would look too superior compared to the poor 133mhz bus on the PowerBook 12"
S k y p a t

Scooterboy
Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 03:09 PM

It's ironic that Motorola might be hampering the IBM powered iBooks, just because the G4 is limited to slower bus speeds than the iBook can use. G3 looks like it has a better future than the G4, especially if IBM implements an altivec-like SIMD unit on the G3 (as it does in the Gekko G3 that is in the Playstation 2 as many here have said). The G3 is very competitive against the G4; it's a better number cruncher, and only needs a velocity engine to best it. Once the PowerBooks go G5, we'll certainly see iBook G3's on 200 MHz system bus. I'd rather not wait that long, though.
Please, Apple, let's see the next iBook with a 750GX G3 on a 200 MHz bus and an ATi Radeon 9000 or equivilent GPU. iBook users want to game at least as much as PowerBook users.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 03:12 PM

I'll second NYCfarmboy. The older iceBooks look far nicer and classier than the current opaque, cheap plasticy looking and feeling iBooks. A case re-design is needed, or at least the original iceBook design should return.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 09:35 PM

I would almost agree except that this close to the starting line, does it make sense to buy something with old technology?

I can live with the speed, but having tomorrow's technology (USB 2.0, Extreme) would be nice. Leave out Bluetooth as an optional add-on to diffrentiate it from the new 12" PBs but networking and basic connectivity with new gear would be nice...

<waiting>Cheers.</waiting>

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
The iBook's fine. I predict the next version will go up to 1Ghz. Whoope, but my 900Mhz iBook works well. In fact the iBook is needed for a current spot: the "just enough" computer.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Scooterboy
Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 11:52 PM

The next iBooks should feature Airport Extreme, I hope, as well as USB 2.0. I also hope they upgrade the video card to something current.

When is the next iBook expected? Any guesses?

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2003, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
I hope they upgrade the plastic used to a higher quality like which was used on the original white icebooks.
I agree big time.. I'm currently typing on my ibook 500 and the new ones look so stupid.... I don't get why this did that change... and to top it off, they never mentioned it...

it went from a silver case with white keys to a cheesy white plastic....

I can't wait till they make it look good again...

Volanges
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2003, 04:59 PM

Are Apple iBooks Next?

Approved/Edited by arn on Thursday September 18, 2003 04:20 PM
from the rumors dept.

Based on product cycle timelines, Apple's iBook is the next model due to be updated. Apple last updated their iBook in April 2003, equiping the consumer laptop with 900MHz G3s at the high end.

AppleInsider's recent PowerBook report, which was proven to contain accurate information, also offered a few hints at upcoming iBooks. According to that report, Apple is "readying updates" to their consumer notebook and will bring the iBook up to par with the rest of their line with USB 2.0 and Airport Extreme support.

Assuming Apple continues to use the G3 processor, the most likely candidate is the IBM 750GX processor which is targetted for production in December 2003.

The PowerPC 750GX will be offered at speeds up to 1.1GHz with 1MB of L2 Cache. This represents an upgrade from 512k L2 Cache in the current iBook processor (750FX). While there have been numerous unverified reports of Altivec-enabled G3s, few reliable reports of this have emerged.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...18162024.shtml

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 03:22 AM

I think the video cards are fine. 32 MB is plenty to run OS X well, and most games. 64 is the highest card Apple is even putting in their laptops.

I agree with earlier posters, though, that they should bring back the nice finish of the older iBooks. I've been put off the iBook because of its rubbermaid looks.

Its a shame that the iBooks are lacking because the G4 is so behind in its technology. It could be such a good chip if only it wasn't so limited.

wludavid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 11:44 AM

Here's an interesting item on the future of G3. http://www.appleturns.com/scene/?id=4192

Looks like IBM's G3s still have a long way to go. Personally, I'm partial to them anyway. They're cheap, cool, power-thrifty, and made by IBM. That's why I waited untl the 700 MHz batch were released to buy my iBook. All the G3s before that were made by Motorola.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2003, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Scooterboy:
especially if IBM implements an altivec-like SIMD unit on the G3 (as it does in the Gekko G3 that is in the Playstation 2 as many here have said)
Aren't you talking about the gamecube, buddy?!
Aloha

DaBeav
Sep 28, 2003, 01:32 PM

I think it would be cool if Apple put in a 13 and or 14" widescreen on the iBook. They could run it at 1152x768, same as the original TiBook. A Mobility Radeon 9000, or even 9200 GPU could certainly now be within the iBook's reach. Definitely keep the durable polycarbonate skin, no metal. The 900MHz iBook keeps up with the 867MHz 12" PB just fine, and in many cases, slighly suprasses it, so the G3 is fine for most tasks.

Other requests would be to make the base optical drive a DVD-ROM so you could at least watch movies on the thing (they're really not much more expensive than CD-ROMs nowadays) and maybe stiffer keyboard ala the AlBooks. Oh yeah, that monochrome washed-out white color scheme from the latest iBooks just has to go. The original look was much cooler.

Kibon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 04:11 PM

I agree that the iBook is due for a refresh in the next couple of months (around November or so at the latest).

If the IBM G3 variant clocks at 1.1GHz, we'll be seeing it ship (there's precedent for Apple shipping iBook clock speeds that overlap the G4 Powerbook speeds).

As for the GPU, Apple has steadily been bumping the graphics chips found in the iBooks, so I think that we'll be seeing 32MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (or 9200). More video memory and a better ATI chip would be nice, but I highly doubt that the iBooks will offer a better chip than 9000/9200 due to price concerns.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 04:58 PM

i thought that the 200 MHz bus in the GX was refering to the fact that they will be SMP and that both processors would have 100 MHz buses. i could very well be wrong.

the iBook is a cool notebook, and i think it would be very succesful (or even more so) if they were able to put in an altivec unit, lower prices, and up frequencies (and went back to the less cheap looking cases). There is really no need for a G4 in the iBook (they can even call the G3+Altivec a G4 if they want) with the way motorola is unable to up freqs.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 11:11 PM

This rumor here about an update sounds interesting. I know it's from AppleInsider but it is time for an update to the iBook line.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 12:55 AM

could the ibooks be updated as a tablet? i mean, everything that the iBook can grow to become is in the 12" PB, what else can the ibook be if they don't want to be too similar with the 12"PB?
Ryan

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 02:40 PM

I believe Jobs himself shot down the idea of an iBook-as-tablet idea. The argument was that tablet PCs aren't doing well (which is self-evident) and so it wouldn't make sense to get into that market. I'm sure that Mac-supporting tablet companies like Wacom wouldn't appreciate it either.

If the iBook gets a substantial reworking on its next update, it will likely be to make it even more portable: longer battery life, reduced size and weight, that sort of thing. Changing the functionality would probably backfire.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

x user
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 03:25 PM

I just bought a 12" PB Rev.B. I think the new iBooks will have a completely different form factor with a 13" screen, widescreen I doubt. I also doubt they will be the portable that the iBook is now or the PB 12". I think it will be more like the original clamshells, more of a durable, backpack type design, less of the ultra-portable design. And because of the PB (Which rocks BTW, much nicer than my 800 Combo) they will HAVE to stay G3, perhaps up to 1.1ghz though.

supernature
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 05:20 AM

Well, I'm waiting for a price drop from Apple all around. I'd like to see the iBooks starting at $899 and maxing out at $1299 for a 14" or comparable size (ditch the 14 and go for widescreen 13 inch). And I'd like to see speeds of 867mhz and 1ghz with bus speeds of 133mhz. I'd expect them to lower the iMac prices... and soon afterwards for them to mark down the PowerBook and the desktops, along with LCD display prices.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Oct 7, 2003, 04:26 PM

problem is, if they get too portable and too cheap, it might hurt the Powerbooks. same thing if they get too powerful. so in most directions, there are little room for iBooks to move. at least while the PBs are G4.
Ryan

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2003, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
This rumor here about an update sounds interesting. I know it's from AppleInsider but it is time for an update to the iBook line.
Kill AI rants! (I mean about them, not them themselves.)
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Forum Links
Forum Rules