Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Volume Logic Plug-in for iTune

Volume Logic Plug-in for iTune
dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 09:28 AM

After searching for an easy solution to "normalise" the volume of my iTunes library, I think I found it. Volume logic from http://www.octiv.com does the trick on the fly. And to think I was going to manually adjust my 3000 songs... It's in beta for now, but so far it works.
Now if it could only work on the iPod.

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2003, 12:30 PM

A quick ten minute check and it seems to be working fine� but it's LOUD. Damn loud. You lose the fine control at the low end of the volume control.

Should be interesting next time I take the PB out to the stereo. Maybe later today.

Good catch, thanks.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 03:33 PM

I could be wrong, but doesn't iTunes have this built-in ?
Under Preferences > Effects > Sound Check
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2003, 04:51 PM

Seems to work nicely. Adds an extra 12% or so CPU utilization on my Ti550, though, so I might be reluctant to use it sometimes.

I, too, wish the iPod had something half as effective as this, and it worked through the docking connector audio (desperately needed for in-car application!)

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 05:11 PM

Been using Logic Volume for about the last month. Works rather nicely. I have noticed the losing fine control at the low end of the volume slider in iTunes as well.

Sarc- not exactly. I get much better and consistent results with Volume Logic than with the Sound Check setting in iTunes.

iPod solution would be nice as well, but not sure how feasible that is�

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2003, 05:12 PM

It boosts CPU usage on my 466 Gigabit from roughly twelve percent to roughly fourty..but it sounds quite nice.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2003, 09:27 PM

I'm using it now on the little 2+1 externals for the PB, may try the big stereo tomorrow. Not perfect, but better than Sound Check, so I'll give it a chance.

And it's quite a hit on my Pismo 400 G3, from ~12% up to ~30% or so. But the one thing I don't do while playing tunes is watch movies, and that's the only real task I need all my cpu oomph for anyway.

I'm not happy losing the range of volume control though. Have to get used to turning the externals waaaaaay down before playing tunes, then back up for movies. Especially at night.

dlefebvre  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by Sarc:
I could be wrong, but doesn't iTunes have this built-in ?
Under Preferences > Effects > Sound Check
For it on do half The job. Since my AAC collection is built from CDs I bought during the last 15 years, there is a lot of volume discrepancies. Logic Volume does the trick even if its loud. It's still in beta so there is time to let the developers know about it.

dlefebvre  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by dlefebvre:
For me it only does half The job. Since my AAC collection is built from CDs I bought during the last 15 years, there is a lot of volume discrepancies. Logic Volume does the trick even if its loud. It's still in beta so there is time to let the developers know about it.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2003, 03:42 AM

Sounds great. CPU usage is strong like everyone has said.

Sounds great though.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2003, 07:04 PM

The new release has my CPU dropped from 35-40 percent down to 20-22, which in my books is A-OK.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by blizzard:
The new release has my CPU dropped from 35-40 percent down to 20-22, which in my books is A-OK.
Well that's not very nice�

The Beta 1 I'm trying expires Dec 31st.

The Beta 2 you've just mentioned expires Dec 15th.

supernature
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2003, 03:13 AM

I've been using Volume Logic on my iBook for a while along with playing all my sound via a USB to optical sound output so I can listen to it on my surround receiver.

I get a few annoying dropouts of sound not going thru the USB because of the amount of CPU usage, but that's also considering I have a few other apps open as well.

One bad thing about Volume Logic is that it compresses the sound generated by iTunes, not the sound data from the source. So, you'll notice that if you slide the itunes volume halfway lower quickly, Vol Logic will adjust and you'll hear the overall volume go back up, because it's compressing it.

So I've gernerally been keeping the itunes volume high, as well as the EQ volume setting fairly on the higher side. Just adjust the system volume.

Forum Links
Forum Rules