Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External Maxtor issues with iMac

External Maxtor issues with iMac
supernature
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2004, 02:28 AM

Hmm... Bizarre... did i do something wrong?

I use an external Maxtor 5000DV external Firewire hard drive, and have been using it well with my iBook G3. Today, I wanted to hook it up to my iMac G4 so I can copy a huge file over to the iMac. It mounted fine, or so it seemed, but once I started trying to copy a file over, that partition magically disappeared. I thought I'd lost my partition, so I reformatted the partition (and now have to download the 2gig file again). Well, just to test it out, I decided to copy a diff file from the other partition I had on that hard drive. Same thing, the partition I was trying to copy a file from disappeared. Even if I tried replugging or repowering the external hard drive, that partition was no longer readable.

Well, I plugged the hard drive back onto my ibook, and all the partitions were there. Strange. Did I need a driver installed on the iMac?

Forum Links
Forum Rules