Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iRecord

iRecord
supernature
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 09:00 AM

After a failed attempt of trying to use other software that was created from Apple's Firewire SDK to record HDTV straight from the cable box, I thought I had a non-working cable box. Fortunately, I must have not followed all the instructions to the tee. After download iRecord a couple of months ago, I am now watching too much TV... all recorded on my Mac.

So, I'd just like to say thanks for the makers of iRecord for making it so simple. Although it's no all-in-one software for managing shows and viewing them, it gets the most important thing done. It records straight from the Firewire port in my cable box and captures the mpeg stream directly onto my hard drive. Of course, I have to acknowledge VLC, which so far is the best software to view MPEG streams. Finally, MPEG StreamClip makes it possible for me to convert any of the recordings into MPEG4 or other format.

In iRecord, you set the channel, length of recording, day and time, and basic frequency (every week, every day, every weekday, etc.). And the channel switching is also all done through Firewire.

Now, my PowerBook G4 is a little lacking in power and doesn't play 1080i recordings all too smoothly, and it always kicks on the fan at super loud volumes (relatively super loud). So does anyone want to donate a dual G5 powermac to me? All donations and proceeds will make one satisfied TV viewer... me

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by supernature
I must have not followed all the instructions to the tee.
That's the same way I feel about iRecord. The thing just doesn't work and I can't see why. No errors are displayed or logged, but my scheduled events come up and are simply ignored, even with iRecord still in the foreground. My cable box works fine with all the other transport stream based tools (and seems to be recognized by iRecord in the event editor). Any ideas what's going wrong?

supernature  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 09:17 PM

have u tried just doing a new immediate event to manually start recording off the bat?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2006, 02:35 PM

yes. it's inanimate. there was one time when a scheduled recording actually changed to a missed event when I left it open long enough, but that was the only indication I ever got that iRecord had a concept of the passage of time. besides that it just sits there and does nothing. any other ideas? I'd really like this to work; right now I'm using iCal and about 20 applescripts specialized to channel and duration.

supernature  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 12:21 AM

okay, well, i just encountered the same problem I think you're having... maybe. For some reason iRecord is still recording my programs, but the Finder can't see them. When I did an immediate event recording, I can see that my disk space is being used up, but I see no file. When I go to iRecord preferences for default storage location, it actually shows all the "invisible" recordings. I don't know what happened. It's like I don't have the "permissions" to see those files or something. Strange.

Forum Links
Forum Rules