Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hopefully a happy ending story for my Mini

Hopefully a happy ending story for my Mini
supernature
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 01:26 AM

So, it all started from day one when I got the Mini duo core. First thing I did when I got the mini was did all the software updates.

First signs of problems. It wasn't waking from sleep. Then constant kernel panics whenever dashboard came up. I reinstalled the OS, and then did the software updates. It occasionally doesn't like to wake up, but kernel panics still happened when using dashboard at certain times.

I looked for tips and troubleshooting guides on the internet. Faulty RAM kept coming up as the likely cause. But the strangest part was that it was dashboard and date/time system prefs that caused the majority of the crashes. Occasionally it would crash at random times as well, but I could duplicate that kernel panic if I wanted to easily by opening dashboard or date/time prefs after the computer has been on for a while.

I finally decided to reinstall the OS again, but this time, no OS X update. Sticking with 10.4.6. Still crashed. I looked at the panic.log, and it was that same page fault error with similar matching registry. So, I gave in, and was about to switch out the memory to the original ones and give that a go.

As I was taking the Mini apart, I was subconciously in denial still that it could be the RAM, especially since it's a pain opening up the Mini (I had upgraded the RAM myself). I took the RAM out, and I just happened to notice where the PRAM battery sits. And then it all made sense - crashing at date/time prefs and dasboard only crashing when clock and calendar were present. And there it was... I took the battery out, and the battery is cracked.

Currently, the Mini is powered up, still with the cover off... .just in case. But I think my Mini will finally live happily ever after.

amru
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 01:50 AM

did the battery come cracked from apple? or ..?

g-luck anyway.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 08:04 AM

Instead of troubleshooting the problem yourself, you could have just taken it to an Apple Store (or called AppleCare) and had Apple replace/fix it for you.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 15, 2006, 08:19 AM

I'm always struck by how many people go beyond "I made sure the RAM I installed was properly seated" (because upgrading RAM doesn't void the warranty-unless you break something while you do it), and do so much work, when they could just pick the Mac up and have the Genius Bar guys do the work-under warranty and everything.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

GopherAlex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I'm always struck by how many people go beyond "I made sure the RAM I installed was properly seated" (because upgrading RAM doesn't void the warranty-unless you break something while you do it), and do so much work, when they could just pick the Mac up and have the Genius Bar guys do the work-under warranty and everything.
Some people don't live near an Apple Store, don't have a car, don't have time, etc.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 15, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by GopherAlex
Some people don't live near an Apple Store, don't have a car, don't have time, etc.
I didn't say I was "bothered," merely "struck." I have a car, one (JUST ONE) Apple Store nearby, and usually at least a little time to do something with both, so that's pretty natural to me. But anyone who posts here probably does have a phone and can call Apple, particularly with new stuff that suddenly goes bonkers. So I'm "struck" by how the people I read about jump through hoops when they must have a lot of options for getting warranty support. That's the point-why not take advantage of the warranty?

supernature  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 07:42 PM

Fixing the computer myself isn't a big deal for me. Taking apart the Mini was an adventure. Anyway, I'm very skeptical of all geniuses and helpdesk, because so far 99% of the time they were initially wrong. Last time I went to the Apple store to fix a laptop under warranty, it took 3 separate fixes to get it right. I even specifically told them what the problem was. First they didn't listen and replaced something else. 2nd, they replaced the wrong part. 3rd fixed it.

So, I'm not keen on taking a computer in unless there is no other option (i.e. replacement of motherboard or superdrive).

Anyway, my computer is fine now. The battery apparently was cracked from the beginning and that was causing all the kernel panics.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 16, 2006, 10:46 AM

I can see your point-most first-tier help desk people have zero actual knowledge and are only trained to use the product-specific terminology and their binder of scripts. To the defense of the Apple Store folks, a lot of customers "know what's wrong" when they have no clue, enough of them that a tech learns to nod and say "OK," and then do his own troubleshooting-which is often by script as well. While you spent time and went to some trouble to get your computer to the Apple Store twice, THEY spent the payroll and parts costs; you came out ahead even if you drove a long way to the store.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2006, 10:57 AM

FWIW, as the OP had installed their own RAM, it was probably wise to check and see that they hadn't broken anything first while doing the installation, before taking it to Apple. It could be that Apple wouldn't have covered this as the OP had opened the mini and they would have argued that they had done the damage... it's what would have happened here in the UK at least, because AppleCare is dire here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules