Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > George Santos

George Santos
reader50
Administrator
Jan 18, 2023, 08:36 PM

This member of the US House of Representatives has been given at least two committee assignments. But the real fun is his lies.

• Claimed a maternal grandparent was Jewish. After the Ukraine war started, he further stated Ukraine-Jewish and/or someone who had escaped the Holocaust. Researchers found no Jewish ancestors, or Ukraine ancestors. Nor any signs of name changes that could conceal such an ancestor.
• Claimed he worked for Citigroup and Goldman Sachs. He never worked for either.
• Was arrested in Brazil for check fraud in 2008. Later signed a confession with the prosecutor. Case suspended in 2011 when Brazil authorities lost track of him. Case is reopening now.
• Fundraised as a pet charity "Friends of Pets United" under the name "Anthony Zabrovsky". The actual animal rescue the money was supposed to go to "Ironbound Animal Rescue" says they never got any money from Santos. The IRS, New York State, and New Jersey have no record of his FoPU charity.
• Raised $3K for a dog surgery in 2016, as "Anthony Devolder". The dog owner was a homeless veteran. Made off with the money. Dog died in 2017.
• Net worth was $5K in 2020, became ($2.5M to $11M) in 2022. He loaned $700K to his campaign in 2022 to help with his election. The money source remains unexplained.
• Says his mom was in the South Tower on 9/11, survived, but died a few years later. Records show she wasn't in the US during Sept 11, 2001 - and actually died in 2016.
• Says he attended Horace Mann School, Baruch College, and New York University. They have no record of him attending.
• Campaign funding records have tons of items listed as $199.99 - which is one cent below the Federal Elections Commission requirement to keep receipts for expenses $200 or higher. News orgs have checked with some of the business, and they don't seem to offer anything around that price.

Wikipedia is keeping a good rundown of the scandals.

Republican leadership has avoided saying much about him. His district in New York more typically votes Democrat - if Santos is kicked out, the resulting special election would more than likely elect a Democrat. Narrowing the Republican majority in the House.

In the meantime, he's assigned to the Committee on Small Business, and the Committee on Space, Science, and Technology. That one notably oversees NASA and a lot of other research institutions.

I expect the revelations to keep coming. Santos is a con man, and serial liar. He'll have so much baggage laying about, that news orgs will keep finding things for months to come. Hopefully he'll be charged with something tangible, though that doesn't automatically remove him from Congress. Even if he's in jail somewhere, he'd still have his seat in Congress.

For him to leave Congress:
• He can resign. Santos says he won't.
• He can serve out his term. This is his plan.
• He can die. (unplanned apparently)
• The House can expel him by a 2/3 vote. Exceptionally rare - only happened 5 times before.

OreoCookie
Jan 18, 2023, 09:34 PM

I think your thread title is wrong. AFAIK there is no Congressman of the name George Santos I think you also forgot to mention his volleyball skills and artificial knees (plural).
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
For him to leave Congress:
• He can resign. Santos says he won't.
• He can serve out his term. This is his plan.
• He can die. (unplanned apparently)
• The House can expel him by a 2/3 vote. Exceptionally rare - only happened 5 times before.
I know I shouldn't be, but I'm really surprised by the GOP here. Them leaving a con man amongst their ranks who might face criminal charges soon will hurt them big time in the swing districts where they had one of their few successes during the last election. Not only that, they put him on Committees. WTF. Not taking care of Santos (or whatever his true name is) will likely sour swing voters in these districts.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thorzdad
Jan 18, 2023, 11:10 PM

The Santos thing is a real puzzler. I keep thinking (hoping?) he’s going to reveal himself as some kind of enormous prank or something, ala Borat, out to see how bad he can make republicans look before they finally come to their senses and kick the guy out.

andi*pandi
Jan 18, 2023, 11:19 PM

After Trump got away with lies, it's now no big deal that a guy changes his name, commits fraud, lies about education, etc.

OreoCookie
Jan 19, 2023, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
The Santos thing is a real puzzler. I keep thinking (hoping?) he’s going to reveal himself as some kind of enormous prank or something, ala Borat, out to see how bad he can make republicans look before they finally come to their senses and kick the guy out.
It's not clear to me what his endgame is. He's been found out, and it isn't just him embellishing his cv in a few places. He's so fraudulent that we literally can't be sure what his real name is.

@andi
The best attempt at an explanation I have is that the stakes for Owning the Libs™ have been lowered so far that it doesn't just apply to the President (Trump), Supreme Court Justices (Garland, Kavanaugh), Senators (Roy Moore, Herschel Walker), but also Congress people. The stakes are so high, we cannot lose a single vote. Still, in this case, they aren't even defending someone of the “caliber” of MTG, but someone who is a complete fabrication.

At the very least I would have expected the GOP to sideline him completely.

Thorzdad
Jan 19, 2023, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
At the very least I would have expected the GOP to sideline him completely.
I think GOP leadership will be perfectly content to let Santos do his roleplay thing so long as he votes the party line. Were he to dare vote against them, though, I think party leaders would suddenly “discover” his subterfuge and act accordingly.

Honestly, Santos fits into the GOP’s overall mission to break the government. A lying liar who has no problem lying often and in public. I can’t imagine his committee positions won’t end up being an utter sideshow when it comes to questioning administration officials who have come to brief the committees.

And, with MTG in the Homeland Security committee, likely pushing her Qanon batshittery, the next two years are going to be a rough road. If we make it two years, of course. The debt ceiling war starts today.

OreoCookie
Jan 19, 2023, 07:27 PM

I think GOP leadership will be perfectly content to let Santos do his roleplay thing so long as he votes the party line. Were he to dare vote against them, though, I think party leaders would suddenly “discover” his subterfuge and act accordingly.
In light of the GOP’s treatment of Santos, their intention to investigate Hunter Biden seems like gaslighting x 2.
Honestly, Santos fits into the GOP’s overall mission to break the government. A lying liar who has no problem lying often and in public. I can’t imagine his committee positions won’t end up being an utter sideshow when it comes to questioning administration officials who have come to brief the committees.

And, with MTG in the Homeland Security committee, likely pushing her Qanon batshittery, the next two years are going to be a rough road. If we make it two years, of course. The debt ceiling war starts today.
That’s the thing: the GOP lacks the spine to lean more towards the center despite clear signs that this is a more successful election strategy (ignoring that shunning cooks and racists is just the right thing to do). That the Jewish Space Laser Lady sits on such an important committee is just bonkers.

Thorzdad
Jan 19, 2023, 09:54 PM

That’s the thing: the GOP lacks the spine to lean more towards the center despite clear signs that this is a more successful election strategy (ignoring that shunning cooks and racists is just the right thing to do). That the Jewish Space Laser Lady sits on such an important committee is just bonkers.
That’s what happens when you spend 40-odd years vilifying anyone and anything even slightly to the left of your policies, which engenders an uncontrolled slide to the far, far right by your base, as they want to avoid ever being the target of the vilifying.

In the end, you’ve pushed-out whatever centrists, or even right-moderates, you might have had in your party. There are no more adults running the GOP.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2023, 11:18 PM

It's not clear to me what his endgame is. He's been found out, and it isn't just him embellishing his cv in a few places. He's so fraudulent that we literally can't be sure what his real name is.
His end game? The current annual salary of a US Member of Congress is $182,189. That's good money. If he can manage to stay in office for 5 years he gets a full pension. Not to mention all the attention and notoriety ... which as Cheeto Jesus has made abundantly clear is entirely the point. I'm sure he grifted some GOP donor with more money than sense into providing the mysterious $700K that was used to fund his campaign.

And just in case his list of fabrications wasn't long enough, it turns out that dude was a drag queen in Brazil as revealed by a former friend who is saying he's always been a liar with delusions of grandeur. Naturally he denies it. Pictures notwithstanding.

George Santos denies report that he was a drag queen — despite his ex-friend releasing photos | Salon.com

OAW

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2023, 05:43 AM

There is absolutely no imaginable scenario in which a functioning democracy would not have forced this guy to resign within two days of his fake resumé surfacing.

None at all.

The obvious conclusion is that the goal is to make any need for successful election strategies a thing of the past.

The writing has been on the wall for decades now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2023, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
His end game? The current annual salary of a US Member of Congress is $182,189. That's good money. If he can manage to stay in office for 5 years he gets a full pension.
No, he doesn't. From your link:
A full pension is available to members 62 years of age with 5 years of service; 50 years or older with 20 years of service; or 25 years of service at any age. A reduced pension is available depending upon which of several different age/service options is chosen. If Members leave Congress before reaching retirement age, they may leave their contributions behind and receive a deferred pension later.
Santos is 34.

Also, if he is expelled from Congress, he forfeits his pension entirely. I don't think it's likely that the GOP will vote to expel him, or it would have happened by now.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2023, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
No, he doesn't. From your link:

Santos is 34.

Also, if he is expelled from Congress, he forfeits his pension entirely. I don't think it's likely that the GOP will vote to expel him, or it would have happened by now.
I don’t mean he would get the pension NOW. I realize he’s not retirement age. But if he manages to stay in office for 5 years that money will be there for him when he does reach retirement age. And as you said the GOP won’t vote to expel him because they need the vote and the seat would likely go back to a DEM in a special election.

OAW

andi*pandi
Jan 20, 2023, 02:05 PM

I saw a clip of him on some right wing talk show bragging that he didn't need the money from his salary, that it was a giant pay cut.

Of course, who knows how true that is!!!

OreoCookie
Jan 23, 2023, 12:44 AM

His end game? The current annual salary of a US Member of Congress is $182,189. That's good money. If he can manage to stay in office for 5 years he gets a full pension. Not to mention all the attention and notoriety ... which as Cheeto Jesus has made abundantly clear is entirely the point. I'm sure he grifted some GOP donor with more money than sense into providing the mysterious $700K that was used to fund his campaign.
The closest I come to understanding the situation is that his brain (and that of many other people) is wired so differently from mine, I have trouble putting myself in their shoes. Yes, maybe it is just grift.
And just in case his list of fabrications wasn't long enough, it turns out that dude was a drag queen in Brazil as revealed by a former friend who is saying he's always been a liar with delusions of grandeur. Naturally he denies it. Pictures notwithstanding.
Personally, I don't care that he was a drag queen, that's totally fine with me. But I find basically everything else objectionable.

andi*pandi
Jan 23, 2023, 01:32 PM

He can totally be a drag queen; but lying about it and also embracing the party that is villainizing drag queens is the issue. I mean, is he going to promote the nazis storming drag queen story hour?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...on/ar-AA16uOGR

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2023, 03:35 PM

^^^

Precisely. Because let him tell it ... "Who are you going to believe? Me or lying eyes?"

OAW

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jan 23, 2023, 04:46 PM

Dude needs to be dragged into the street and beaten. Not for being closeted trans, for being a lying cunt.

christ
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2023, 02:25 PM

Surely George Santos is just the logical conclusion of the current fad for "self-identification"?
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 29, 2023, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
Dude needs to be dragged into the street and beaten. Not for being closeted trans, for being a lying cunt.
I hope you mean “figuratively dragged into the street and beaten.” Because actually advocating violence against a sitting member of Congress is problematic. It is the kind of thing that the Orange crowd used to stifle participation in local electoral processed. And I am fairly sure you don’t want to side with them.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Jan 29, 2023, 10:04 PM

Gotta agree with Glenn. The problem is not with Santos, the problem is with the GOP not being willing to remove him. The mechanisms are all there.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Jan 31, 2023, 03:55 AM

Mother Jones magazine investigated Santos' financial filings from his 2020 election bid. That's the one he lost, before lying his way into office in 2022.

The 2020 financial filings proved interesting:
In September 2020, George Santos’ congressional campaign reported that Victoria and Jonathan Regor had each contributed $2,800—the maximum amount—to his first bid for a House seat. Their listed address was 45 New Mexico Street in Jackson Township, New Jersey.

A search of various databases reveals no one in the United States named Victoria or Jonathan Regor. Moreover, there is nobody by any name living at 45 New Mexico Street in Jackson. That address doesn’t exist. There is a New Mexico Street in Jackson, but the numbers end in the 20s, according to Google Maps and a resident of the street.
This is a Big Deal - it's illegal.
Under federal campaign finance law, it is illegal to donate money using a false name or the name of someone else. “It’s called a contribution in the name of another,” says Saurav Ghosh, the director for federal campaign finance reform at the Campaign Legal Center, a nonpartisan watchdog group. “It’s something that is explicitly prohibited under federal law.”
I recommend reading the article - they found a bunch of people who don't exist and addresses that don't exist. A few of the big-ticket donors checked out, but a lot didn't. Which they report is very unusual. In campaign finance reports, it's normal for all big-ticket donors to check out.

I'd like to know where all the mystery money comes from. None of that ever appears in my accounts.

OreoCookie
Jan 31, 2023, 04:28 AM

This is a Big Deal - it's illegal. […]

I recommend reading the article - they found a bunch of people who don't exist and addresses that don't exist. A few of the big-ticket donors checked out, but a lot didn't. Which they report is very unusual. In campaign finance reports, it's normal for all big-ticket donors to check out.
It isn't just illegal, AFAIK it is also something that is enforced. US campaign finance law is rife with Boeing 747-sized loopholes, but the laws that are on the book are enforced. Things like obscuring the origin of donations by faking names or chopping up donations just below the threshold for anonymous donations is to my knowledge illegal.
I'd like to know where all the mystery money comes from. None of that ever appears in my accounts.
Yes, that'd be interesting. I hope some prosecutors are already working on that.

andi*pandi
Jan 31, 2023, 03:29 PM

he has asked to drop out of his committees. asked or heavily suggested???

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Jan 31, 2023, 09:39 PM

I figure it was "volunteer, or we'll do it for you". We know he was summoned to the Speaker's office for the conversation.

The heat is probably getting too much, even for Republicans. The revelations just keep coming, and Santos doesn't have Trump's popularity with the base. Not even in his district. Last I heard, Republican voters there were evenly split on him resigning, and that number has been going up steadily since the revelations began.

OreoCookie
Jan 31, 2023, 09:50 PM

I figure it was "volunteer, or we'll do it for you". We know he was summoned to the Speaker's office for the conversation.
Yeah, that's my reading, too. He is gently being resigned. He is being chosen to pursue other opportunities. To spend more time with his family.
The heat is probably getting too much, even for Republicans. The revelations just keep coming, and Santos doesn't have Trump's popularity with the base. Not even in his district. Last I heard, Republican voters there were evenly split on him resigning, and that number has been going up steadily since the revelations began.
As I understand it, he represents a swing districts. I reckon the local Republicans are concerned about long-lasting damage as they need swing voters to win elections. I would venture a guess that swing voters in his district feel betrayed and soured, and might make their cross next to a Democratic candidate next time.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2023, 12:23 AM

What happens if/when he’s ousted? Is his seat up for re-election? Does the runner-up get the seat automatically?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2023, 12:55 AM

FWIU, for representatives, if it’s close enough to the next election, it’s vacant until then. If not, new election.

If it’s a senator, the governor appoints an interim from the same party, who then follows the above procedure.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Feb 1, 2023, 02:03 AM

Agree with subego. House vacancies are filled by a special election in that district. Unless the next regular election is very close.

Senate vacancies are filled by the state's Governor, who can appoint anyone their state Constitution allows. Traditionally of their own party, and a resident of the state. But to my knowledge, they can choose anyone who isn't ruled out by state or federal Constitutions.

A governor can even appoint him/herself. Resign the governorship, report to D.C., and be sworn in as Senator. I do wonder though what would happen if that process were interrupted:

• A Senate vacancy opens up.
• Governor appoints himself to fill it.
• Governor resigns, and drives to D.C.
• Lt. Governor is sworn in as Governor.
• The new Governor rescinds the appointment, and appoints someone different.
• Former governor arrives at Senate Chamber.
• ???

Many states elect the Lt. Governor as a separate office - governor and Lt. governor can be of different parties. When that happens, things can get interesting.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2023, 07:37 AM

So if the GOP goes along with evicting this guy from Congress, they risk losing another seat in an already weak House majority.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2023, 09:56 AM

As I understand it, yes.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2023, 10:53 AM

No way they’re going to have him leave office, then, without him actually going to jail.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Oct 11, 2023, 03:03 AM

George Santos was charged with 13 counts by the Feds awhile ago. The indictment has just been updated to 23 counts.

Superseding Indictment - PDF 41 pages

The new counts include identity theft and credit card fraud. It seems he kept donors' CC info, rang up extra charges, and used that to inflate his campaign finance figures with the FEC. So that he would qualify for more election financial assistance from the RNC. Oh, and they charged him for the false document filings too.

The fun never ends with this guy. Let the party go on, so long as someone else gets stuck with the bill.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Oct 27, 2023, 04:18 PM

Santos has just pleaded not guilty to the updated charges.

More importantly, the judge has set the trial for September 9, 2024. Only about two months before the election. So Santos will have served occupied his House seat for almost the entire 2-year term before his fraud case comes to trial. I certainly hope the House Ethics Committee acts faster, because it looks like nothing will remove him from office before using up his entire term.

Judicial inefficency, delays in filing charges, and Reps delaying his expulsion - blame whichever works for you. I can excuse the investigators getting their ducks in a row before filing, but the other delays are nonsense IMO.
( Last edited by reader50; Oct 29, 2023 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling)

andi*pandi
Oct 28, 2023, 10:03 PM

that's almost a year from now. ridiculous.

OreoCookie
Oct 29, 2023, 09:25 AM

I'm still surprised that there are no antibodies in the GOP that'd push him out. It is not even that this is a guy who is strongly ideologically aligned with them.

Thorzdad
Oct 29, 2023, 12:59 PM

As long as he gets a thumbs-up from Trump, no one is going to move to oust Santos from Congress.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Oct 29, 2023, 01:54 PM

Trump hasn't endorsed Santos, and his fellow NY GOP freshmen have tried to expel Santos several times. They fear being lumped in with him on election advertising, which NY Dems are already doing. Santos will likely cost them their seats in 2024 if they aren't able to kick him out.

But Santos consistently votes for the majority Speaker candidate. So the majority of GOP house members (and leadership) avoid ousting him. Refer matter to the Ethics Committee, slow-walk the ethics stuff, and keep benefiting from his votes. Santos' district is a swing district - if he's kicked out, the resulting special election will likely elect his Dem opponent.

So keeping Santos around benefits Reps today, at the expense of losing 5+ NY house seats in the next election. That's enough by itself to lose the House for at least two years. True foresight, on top of situational ethics.

OreoCookie
Oct 29, 2023, 03:33 PM

But Santos consistently votes for the majority Speaker candidate. So the majority of GOP house members (and leadership) avoid ousting him. Refer matter to the Ethics Committee, slow-walk the ethics stuff, and keep benefiting from his votes. Santos' district is a swing district - if he's kicked out, the resulting special election will likely elect his Dem opponent.
You are right in the short term. But a swift reaction would have created some credibility for the long term.
So keeping Santos around benefits Reps today, at the expense of losing 5+ NY house seats in the next election. That's enough by itself to lose the House for at least two years. True foresight, on top of situational ethics.
I think there is at least the potential for the GOP to have staved off some of the losses if they had acted quickly and decisively. Yes, likely Santo's seat would have gone to a Democrat, but at least the local GOP could credibly claim to have done their job well.

PS I am not saying you are wrong in your analysis. It is just baffling that nobody in the GOP seems to strategize for times beyond the very short term.

Forum Links
Forum Rules