Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Help! My ipod wont turn on! And I tried to reboot it!

Help! My ipod wont turn on! And I tried to reboot it!
RGray02
Jun 22, 2004, 08:43 PM

I cant believe it, I was just listening to it last night. I've had this 10G ipod trouble free for about a year now. I was listening to it 2 days ago, probably until the battery was just about drained, and I turned it off, and set it aside.

Figuring that it needed a charge, I plugged it into the ac adapter and I tried to turn it on. Nothing. I checked the hold lock, buttons are definitely unlocked. So I figure I'll let it charge.

2 hours later. Nothing. Okay, so I'll plug it into my powerbook, maybe it'll mount or charge or something. 1 night goes by. i try it in the morning, nothing.

I tried to reboot it by pressing menu and play, I've held it for like a minute. Still no response.

Please tell me this thing hasn't killed itself. I guarantee I did not drop kick it. I have a iSkin to protect it too. Any help?

Is this going to cost me a hundred bucks to repair? ah shite.
http://www.****microsoft.com - "Free your mind, and your OS will follow"

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 11:56 PM

Plug it into it's charger and reset it. If the battery was fulled drained it won't restart unless it is hooked to the charger. Hooking it up to your Mac won't cut it either, it's got to be hooked to the charger.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 01:23 AM

I've had this problem twice.

Heres what i did to fix it

Unplug iPod from everything (computer and wall)

Leave it, dont touch it at all for 5 to 6 days

this lets the battery totally drain

plug it into computer or wall, and voila, working iPod (hopefully)

worked both times for me, just dont get impatient and try to plug in the iPod too soon.

Good luck

Chris
This signature is obsolete.

RGray02  (op)
Jun 26, 2004, 11:30 AM

well, the ipod is dead for sure.

i did what was suggested. I had the ipod doing nothing for a couple of days, then I plugged it in last night.

This morning I woke up and the thing was as hot as fire. It melted the cd case that I placed it one. The LCD screen looks like its melted inside.

The exterior of the ipod looks immaculate though. Im lucky I decided to remove the rubber skin before meltdown, because now I can take it to the apple store and show them the it is in good condition and it just decided to kill itself.

I guess its too late to buy applecare now...

what are the odds they will replace it?
http://www.****microsoft.com - "Free your mind, and your OS will follow"

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2004, 12:40 PM

Is it older than a year?

solis813
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by RGray02 View Post
well, the ipod is dead for sure.

i did what was suggested. I had the ipod doing nothing for a couple of days, then I plugged it in last night.

This morning I woke up and the thing was as hot as fire. It melted the cd case that I placed it one. The LCD screen looks like its melted inside.

The exterior of the ipod looks immaculate though. Im lucky I decided to remove the rubber skin before meltdown, because now I can take it to the apple store and show them the it is in good condition and it just decided to kill itself.

I guess its too late to buy applecare now...

what are the odds they will replace it?

Hey ummm am new at this lol....ummm my ipod wont turn on neither so is this going to happened to mines as it did your....if so tell me how to fixs it right now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules