Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Step-by-step guide to burn a DVD

Step-by-step guide to burn a DVD
huxbnw
Dec 27, 2004, 05:42 PM

Hello all. I know there are other threads that deal with this issue, so no need to remind me. I am new to the world of burning DVDs and could really use a basic step-by-step guide as to what software I need and how to burn a proper DVD. Between Toast, Popcorn and other software, I'm lost. Thanks for your help.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2004, 06:08 PM

1. go to www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com and download DVDBackup (or MactheRipper), DVD2oneX (shareware, unfortunately). You apparently already have Toast.

2. http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...vd#post2020746

DVDBackup is for removing CSS copy protection and region coding, copying the whole thing to your hard drive.

DVD2oneX is for compressing the whole shebang down to 4.4 GB (the maximum you can burn on a regular single-layer DVD-R; commercial DVDs are usually double-layer).

Use toast to burn a data DVD containing the VIDEO_TS folder spit out by DVD2oneX (do NOT rename this folder - DVD players need it with that exact name).

-s*

huxbnw  (op)
Dec 27, 2004, 06:19 PM

Great, thanks for the wonderful advice. I actually haven't yet purchased Toast. Will it be OK to just download it from Roxio, or should I buy the disk? What about Popcorn. Thanks again.

huxbnw  (op)
Dec 27, 2004, 06:24 PM

I guess a main question is if I should (or can) use Popcorn rather than DVD2oneX?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2004, 06:37 PM

No.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
No.
I find MacTheRipper + Popcorn to produce good, consistent results. And cheaper than DVD2OneX.

DVD2One is �50 (about $67 US); Popcorn can be found for $30 US. Oh, and BTW - you don't need to have Toast to use Popcorn. You can buy Popcorn without needing Toast first.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I find MacTheRipper + Popcorn to produce good, consistent results. And cheaper than DVD2OneX.

DVD2One is �50 (about $67 US); Popcorn can be found for $30 US. Oh, and BTW - you don't need to have Toast to use Popcorn. You can buy Popcorn without needing Toast first.
Oh, OK. I was just answering for the hell of it. I thought Popcorn couldn't be used on copyrighted DVDs, but now I see that MacTheRipper is going to break the encryption so Popcorn can do its thing. Sorry.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

huxbnw  (op)
Dec 28, 2004, 08:47 AM

So buying Toast and Popcorn together should do the trick (so long as I use Mac The Ripper first)? Is it necessary to buy the actual disks, or can I just download from Roxio? Thanks.

threestain
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 11:04 AM

or you could go down the completely free route (though ever so slightly harder) and use 0sex or mac the ripper then ffmpegX and the finder to burn it all. Cheaper if that's a problem or anything (think ffmpegX is $15)

bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Oh, OK. I was just answering for the hell of it. I thought Popcorn couldn't be used on copyrighted DVDs, but now I see that MacTheRipper is going to break the encryption so Popcorn can do its thing. Sorry.

It doesn't work all the time, however. I tried to make a copy (and it was going to be an illegal one, I admit!) of "You've Got Mail." I tried MacTheRipper AND DVDbackup, and Popcorn kept telling me it was an encryped file.

Then I got the movie for christmas anyway! I'd still like to know why it didn't work, though.

huxbnw  (op)
Dec 28, 2004, 01:29 PM

I know you guys probably don't know, but anyone hear if a new version of Toast will be coming out at MacWorld?

videian28
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 10:51 AM

I have been using DVDbackup and Popcorn, every copy has been successful and it is VERY easy to use.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 11:06 AM

Why not use handbrake to convert the movie to MP4 then use Toast to burn the Movie onto DVD?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
Why not use handbrake to convert the movie to MP4 then use Toast to burn the Movie onto DVD?
Why would he compress it from mpeg2 to mp4 and then back AGAIN to lossy mpeg2? That's two lossy format transformations too many in there.

mattyd
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
It doesn't work all the time, however. I tried to make a copy (and it was going to be an illegal one, I admit!) of "You've Got Mail." I tried MacTheRipper AND DVDbackup, and Popcorn kept telling me it was an encryped file.

Then I got the movie for christmas anyway! I'd still like to know why it didn't work, though.
Did you do a Full Disk Extraction, or Main Feature only? I'm pretty sure that Popcorn prefers Full Disk extraction from MacThe Ripper.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by bbales:

Not sure why that combo didn't work for you...

I use Mac The Ripper to extract the full DVD to the hard drive, then use Popcorn to burn it. Works every time for me so far. I copy my kids' DVDs and let them handle the copies. The originals are kept in a safe place. I've had to replace too many to let them have the originals any more.

huxbnw  (op)
Dec 31, 2004, 03:01 PM

Sorry for the newbie question, but does one need BOTH popcorn and toast in order to burn a DVD? Can popcorn both compress and burn the DVD? Thanks for the clarification.

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by huxbnw:
Sorry for the newbie question, but does one need BOTH popcorn and toast in order to burn a DVD? Can popcorn both compress and burn the DVD? Thanks for the clarification.
Yes. From Roxio's website: "Now the best burning technology for the Mac is available in Popcorn."

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/popcorn/index.jhtml

Forum Links
Forum Rules