Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iCards Replacement..? PopCard.me

iCards Replacement..? PopCard.me
Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2008, 04:31 PM

There's a new website out that looks like a decent replacement for the old iCards from .Mac. It's not got such a wide selection of cards as the old iCards but it works in almost exactly the same way and it's free with no ads...

Definitely worth a look if you're missing Apple's version..!

http://popcard.me/

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 08:34 PM

Thanks for that. I always send my best friend an iCard on his birthday, but couldn't find them last week

MacSmiley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2008, 10:44 PM

@queen55... You must be an employee at 4iCards.com, since you've been commenting (with varying degrees of skill in the English language) all over the Mac community.

Don't you know it's illegal for American citizens to do business with an IRANIAN entity like 4iCards.com??

As far as I know, sanctions are still in effect, and I don't plan on inviting trouble by breaking the law of the land I live in. 

Additionally,

4iCARDS COLLECTS ALL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION!!

That said, the quality of the 4iCards product leaves much to be desired when compared to Apple iCards. Since I've already expressed my opinions about the cards and the email format, I'm not going to reinvent the wheel. Here are the links where I've discussed the poor quality issues with this site's cards:

Get Satisfaction: Who misses Apple iCards?

iWant Apple iCards Back, Too!! on Flickr

and

PLEASE don't kill Apple iCards! on Flickr

I strongly recommend POPCARD.ME over 4iCards.com

http://popcard.me

The site is run by Jamie Longstaff, author of the pro photography photo gallery software, Pixaria.

NO PERSONAL INFORMATION IS COLLECTED BY POPCARD.ME!

and there are no advertisements in the email with the JPEG card. My review of PopCard.me is found here:

A good online alternative to Apple iCards (R.I.P)

PopCard.me is a work in progress, and Jamie does respond well to communication with users. I am glad PopCard.me is there for those who are shackled to Windows or Linux PCs (like Mac users stuck at work).

At the same time, I have been happily using Steve Dekorte's PostCard application.

http://www.dekorte.com/projects/shareware/Postcard/

Sending my own home made cards using Apple Mail means no one is collecting my personal information or that of my friends and loved ones. And it's a cinch to send group emails with hidden addresses... just drag a group from your Address Book right into the BCC field in Apple Mail!!

In addition, PostCard enables you to use TextEdit capabilities in the message area, including the ability to insert images (think smileys) within the message area and to drop shadow your text. The added flexibility and creativity is refreshing. I've combed the Internet for old Apple iCard images, and have posted several hundred to my iDisk for download and recycling for PERSONAL use with apps like PostCard.

http://homepage.mac.com/mac.zooks/FileSharing42.html

In fact, I have posted a review of PostCard on my Flickr account,

Make your own iCards with PostCard

and in the comments, I review several other software solutions, including free Keynote templates which duplicate exactly what an iCard looks like, down to the Hello from Cupertino postmark.
( Last edited by MacSmiley; Nov 9, 2008 at 01:56 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules